PDA

View Full Version : I need help finding supplies for Hardscape Discus Tank.

freude88
06-15-2013, 11:12 AM
I want to set up a really nice hardscape tank for my discus. This would include:
Wood: (such as manzanita or red moorwood ) Other wood suggestions are always appreciated. (I did see the manzanita supplier on here and have contacted him.)
Rocks: Basalt or something like it.
Substrate: Something that is small like sand that won't get sucked up the siphon! I don't want pebbles.

Where is a good place to purchase these items? I googled but only seem to come upon Petco, Petsmart and other major suppliers that don't carry such specialty items. I leave in Utah and can't seem to find them out here. If you know of where I can get only one of these items please respond! :)

Thanks!

lipadj46
06-15-2013, 11:17 AM
Another good source of more unique pieces of gnarled manzanita is Tom Barr over at www.barrreport.com. Pool filter sand is probably your best option, don't use play sand. Rocks, go outside and have at it, test for carbonates with an acid of some sort.

DiscusBR
06-15-2013, 11:38 AM
You can purchase Manzanita from Manzman (PC1), a sponsor here in the forum. Pool filter sand is a great substrate. Good luck with your project.

Nealageous
06-24-2013, 03:23 PM
My favorite rock is black lava. Great contrast to white sand, has a nice textured surface great for bacterial growth and relatively light. My fish love it. We have loads of it in Eastern Oregon that you can just pick up off the side of the road. Road trip?

freude88
06-24-2013, 06:44 PM
I would love to go to Oregon! I just wish my wallet did!

dkeef
06-25-2013, 01:58 AM
get seiryu stone with white pool filter sand and manzanita woods.

home depot has very good prewashed white sand. my friend got it and its awesome.
ebay has some seiryu stones also.
look for bridal online business who sells manzanita branchs. get sand blasted one.

timmylucas
06-25-2013, 02:31 AM
Oregon isnt too bad. its tax free out here so its not a bad place to come on a little trip.

freude88
06-25-2013, 11:34 AM
Tax free! Maybe I should move there!

SejRamkas
07-02-2013, 05:39 PM
check out manzanita burlworks @ manzanita.com for your manzanita. Great prices and Rich was very helpful in selecting the perfect pieces for my tank. Check out the aquarium wood section. I purchased the AP1 pack and it was more than enough to fill my 75 gal. I told him what look I was going for and he selected pieces based off a picture and I was pleased with selection and quality. Shipping was also very fast.

Here is a link to my tank hardscape with this wood:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?106066-New-75-Gallon

freude88
07-04-2013, 09:46 PM
Thanks, great website! You have a great tank set up I bet it looks awesome with your fish in it! Thanks for your help.

Trevor W
07-04-2013, 10:53 PM
Just thought I might add that I believe seiryu (sp?) Stone Might alter your pH in your tank . I could be mistaken but I'm pretty sure that I read it somewhere.

freude88
07-05-2013, 10:18 AM
Thanks... I will check into that.

Elliots
07-05-2013, 11:15 AM
I have large Malaysiasn Drift Wood. There are large spaces in it that Discus can swim thru. Sorry, I bought them locally in NYC and they are about 22" high. 15-20" wide 6" deep. They may be available on the net.

strawberryblonde
07-06-2013, 12:11 PM
Just gonna add my own personal experiences with sand, driftwood and rocks...to give you stuff to think about. =)

Driftwood: I've used Malaysian, Mopani and Manzanita as well as the local Curlleaf Mahogany (looks a lot like Manzanita and grows like a weed up here in Idaho). I've gotten the best results with Manzanita and the local stuff. I also purchased from Rich and have had great customer service with fair pricing and fast shipping.
You'll end up pulling the driftwood out of the tank to scrub it (I use a high pressure hose) about every 2 months, but other than that, it's durable and mine is still looking perfect after 2 years in the tank.

Rocks: I've had bad luck with rocks. Too much debris collects in and under them, making it a chore to clean the tank...ugh.. constantly moving the rocks, waiting for the stirred up crud to settle and then siphoning it out, scrubbing the scum off the rocks, etc.

Sand: I know that pool sand is a great option, but it's hard to get out here in the boonies, so I opted to purchase CaribSea Freshwater Sand. The colors are fantastic and it doesn't get sucked up in the filters so long as you make sure that the grain size is above 0.1mm. I believe Sunset Gold is the only one they make with grains that small. I personally like the Crystal River. It's greyish looking in the bag, but bright white once you toss it in your tank and turn on the lights. 2 bags is more than enough for my 115g tank.

freude88
07-06-2013, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the help. I was thinking of adding more rocks but I didn't think about all the debris collecting. I have to agree with you on not having enough local suppliers out here (I live in Utah). There are a lot of fish lovers out here!

strawberryblonde
07-07-2013, 09:50 AM
Hi neighbor, it's good to meet a fellow fish enthusiast out here in the wooly north! :D