PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Snails and Discus

GrayLadyPat
06-18-2013, 01:14 PM
Hi!

I saw a thread on this, but it is relatively old, and I have a question...

I have had Mystery Snails before (Pomacea Bridgessii) and they are truly interesting, as far as snails go. They breathe air sometimes, and they lay their eggs outside the tank, which means the holes have to be plugged or small enough to keep them in. They are most often seen in stores at about 1-2" in diameter, however there are some varieties that can reach 3" or 4".

They are amazing at cleaning algae, but they do eat your plants if they're not fed enough other things, and they produce waste on the level with plecs...

The question that I have is how do they fare in a discus tank?

Since I rid myself of my slime-eating plecs, I am in need of a bit of natural algae control and not really willing to go with plecs again. I am thinking of a couple of mystery snails, otherwise, I am going to be spending a lot of time scraping my glass.

Opinions?

Tazalanche
06-18-2013, 01:35 PM
Others have had good luck with mystery snails in their tank.

I used to have a few breeding pairs of 2"+ mystery snails (LOTS of eggs above the water line), but they were killed off by my discus.

Bill63SG
06-18-2013, 08:51 PM
I had good luck with them,but sometimes we keep our tanks too clean.

Trubble
06-18-2013, 09:21 PM
I had some in with a mixed tank of older juvies and adults. The adults ignoredr them, but a couple of my juvies would pick on them, especially when they were on the driftwood. I had one juvie that was just fascinated with the snails. When he killed one of my browns and one of my goldens, we pulled all the snails from the tank.

GrayLadyPat
06-19-2013, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the advice, folks...

I think I'll get a few and see what happens...

I'll keep you all posted.

Cheers!

DiscusLoverJeff
06-19-2013, 01:12 PM
I had good luck with them,but sometimes we keep our tanks too clean.

+1

yim11
06-19-2013, 01:33 PM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?71942-QT-for-nerite-snails&p=545035&highlight=snail#post545035