PDA

View Full Version : new 4 powder blue discus with pics

angelfriendsinthewater
06-27-2013, 03:45 AM
I love thes 4 powder blue discus I bough locally in Waterloo. They are in a 40 G with a bristlenose pleco and some neon tetras. They have two heaters that keep the temp up at 86. They have 3 hob filters (1 dyanflo 3, an AC 20 and an AC50). The love bloodworms and come out when I feed them. They are also eating NLS discus food and frozen brine and mysis shrimp. I am doing water changes every other day now and the nitrates are almost the same as what comes out of my tap (around 20). They are in a mixture of RO and hard water. I adore them and can't believe that I finally have my dream fish! We tried them a while back but the ones I got were too small and shy to eat well, but these guys love coming out and seeing me, and they are twice as big so I think we are off to a good start! :) What is a good photoperiod for them?

https://img1.etsystatic.com/023/0/8897130/icm_fullxfull.28295741_jvzlbq3uiog8c408cc4w.jpg
https://img2.etsystatic.com/024/0/8897130/icm_fullxfull.28289070_jrusylflsao0cgscwkgs.jpg

Trier20
06-27-2013, 04:18 AM
Waterloo, Iowa?

sandy
06-27-2013, 06:26 AM
After so many days I have seen this discus hear its not available

Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John_Nicholson
06-27-2013, 07:10 AM
You can drop the "fancy" name and just call them blue diamonds.

-john

BowRiver
06-27-2013, 10:08 AM
:)
You can drop the "fancy" name and just call them blue diamonds.

-john
+1
Agree with John there

angelfriendsinthewater
06-27-2013, 10:43 AM
I was wondering about all the various names for blue discus! I will rephrase: I love my blue diamond discus! They have quickly become my favourite fish which is a lot to say because I also love our avocado puffer and elephantnose and did not think I could love any fish more! These guys are so full of personality and they know me, and it has only been 4 days! Eager to learn a lot about them here.

angelfriendsinthewater
07-03-2013, 02:46 PM
Update - They are doing so well and are growing! They eat all the different foods I give them and even eat from my hand. I borrowed 3 amazing discus books from the library and am reading all I can about them. The only tankmates now are about 8 neon tetras and a bn pleco and a siamese algae eater. I am open to any suugestions or tips! Thanks!

kompakt
07-03-2013, 11:03 PM
where did you buy your discus from?

I live in Mississauga Ontario and i'm looking for some local breeders..

angelfriendsinthewater
07-04-2013, 11:31 AM
They are from Aquariums by design in Waterloo. I put in a couple young rams from a great breeder here (Charlie Drew) and am looking at a 75 g.

UOTE=angelfriendsinthewater;1011350]Update - They are doing so well and are growing! They eat all the different foods I give them and even eat from my hand. I borrowed 3 amazing discus books from the library and am reading all I can about them. The only tankmates now are about 8 neon tetras and a bn pleco and a siamese algae eater. I am open to any suugestions or tips! Thanks![/QUOTE]

rurocking
08-15-2013, 10:01 AM
Hi there...

I just bought 5 discus from Stace at Aquarium by Design. 2 Blue Diamond and 2 they called Ruby Red and a beautiful Leopard. They also are doing well and are very friendly already. Mine are in a 90 with lots of Cardinals and Rummy Nose Tetras. Currently eating blood worms, and special discus flake and waiting for a shipment of freeze dried black worms from a dealer in BC (http://stores.canadianaquafarm.com/StoreFront.bok)

rurocking
08-15-2013, 02:18 PM
Hi There...

My order of Australian Freeze Dried Black Worms (http://stores.canadianaquafarm.com/-strse-508/Frozen-fish-food-bloodworms/Detail.bok) came in today. That was very fast shipping, I only ordered late Sunday. I would like to report that the Discus went wild for them. I like the idea that the cube sticks to the glass. Before I had a chance to stick it to the glass they were jumping on it.