PDA

View Full Version : Someone please answer!!!!!

Cosabuena
06-29-2013, 10:28 AM
Hello. I just want to know if anybody has had any experience with the "loose" worms.
I need to know if the loose worms float. I'm planning on putting them in an automatic feeder and I'm hoping it sinks.

Anybody?????????

I have a surface skimmer, I hate floating food

lipadj46
06-29-2013, 10:34 AM
Yes they float pretty much forever or until they are eaten. The cubes are better because you can stick them to the sides of the tank but the worms that the discus pull off float.

8ftbed
06-29-2013, 10:45 AM
Except the cubes get pulled off the glass and then the cube floats.
If the surface is agitated via aeration, loose worms sink and move through the water column. If there's little movement on the surface, then the loose worms can congregate at the waterline on the edge of the tank. If you've a lipped tank and keep the water near the top, you can end up with black ropes of mess under there unless you remember to wipe during wc's.

My experience in 5 tanks of different sizes and as always, results vary by user.

Because of the cubes propensity to detach, I prefer the loose ones. Although the cubes are better for hand feeding. :)

/blaine

lipadj46
06-29-2013, 10:53 AM
My discus never pull a whole cube off the glass, you need to squish it good on the glass. My 14" black ghost knifefish can barely get the cubes off though she does manage to with enough tearing and then swallows them whole. They do tear off chunks though and they float but eventually get eaten. If you want to feed FDBWs (which is highly recommended) I would get rid of the skimmer.

DonMD
06-29-2013, 11:20 AM
It's difficult to feed FDBW from an auto feeder. Why not use a premium flake? Then feed the FDBW cubes when you come home at night?

Cosabuena
06-29-2013, 11:20 AM
Thanks. Looks like I have too :(. I'm going w the loose ones

DiscusLoverJeff
06-29-2013, 11:28 AM
If you have a small container, fill about halfway with water, put the FDBW in and find something safe to use to push down (as a weight) the worms so they are submerged for about 5 to 10 minutes so they start absorbing water, then feed.

8ftbed
06-29-2013, 11:54 AM
I squish. Mayhaps those ChicagoDiscus are strong feeders. :)

Speaking of which, Josie also showed me how she turns a cone upside down. I tried that and it works pretty well but a chunk will end up being lodged in the pointed end and cannot separate and disperse. I tried putting a wad of loose worms in and as soon as you hit the water they're wet and flying all over anyway.

Bill63SG
06-29-2013, 01:06 PM
Or just toss them in,my discus learned to eat at the surface.

dprais1
07-02-2013, 04:14 AM
put loose worms in a syringe with a little water. cap syringe and repeatedly pull back on the plunger. this will force water into the worms rehydrating them so they really wont float.

REC
07-03-2013, 11:34 AM
With the two emperor 400 hob filters I have its no issue getting the majority of the worms to drop. I simply drop them in the back and the flow of the filters pushes them downward. My group wipes them out well before they reach the bottom.

Discus-n00b
07-03-2013, 12:39 PM
My cubes always get pulled off the glass no matter how hard I press. I always order loose and after putting the worms in the water stir it up a bit so they briefly sink. You could also presoak the loose worms.

Altum Nut
07-03-2013, 01:20 PM
That's exactly what I do Matt. I pre-soak my loose with spirolina powder for 15 min with tank water in a styro cup and drip enough for each tank.

...Ralph

joanstone
07-03-2013, 01:35 PM
I have a stationary floating feeding ring that I put my food (worms, flakes) in. I have my auto feeder dispense into it as well. It keeps the food in place until they grab it or it sinks. My fish learned very quickly to feed from there. It helps since I have corner overflows.