PDA

View Full Version : aqueon water changer: Review

timmylucas
07-01-2013, 03:55 PM
I bought the aqueon water changer.

It makes life easier for sure. Filling is a bit slow but other than that it works great. Some sinks may require a different adapter that can be bought at a hardware store. It is fairly simple to use and replacement parts can be bought for it. I like it because it reduces sand kickup as well since it flows back slowly. If you have a larger aquarium like me, it makes your life easier. No more 5 gallon buckets and foot stools. I almost bought a python online but since it is getting very hot where I live, I need to do alot more water changes more frequently and I needed something now. If anyone has a python you should let me know how you like it!

I'm sure alot of members have one or something similar but I will find a video for those who don't have one and don't know what it is.

This video shows how to assemble and how to use

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMgsvzge6-s

8ftbed
07-01-2013, 04:12 PM
Too bad you didn't get a Python. Shoot, I'd have given you mine for shipping.
Aqueon is cheap and flimsy compared to Python. Yeah, it'll work but if you ever get your hands on a Python you'll find the hose is much better and won't be kinking. The cutoff valves work easier and better and you can get gravel tubes of different length.

When I recently ramped back up on the fish keeping, adding more tanks, I thought I'd get a new Python rather than use my 20yo original. The hose wouldn't completely clean. Pythons weren't carried in PETCO or PetSmart anymore so I got the Aqueon. Yuck! I found Python online, ordered a new one, cut some hose off and added to my old one which makes it long enough to go to the basement and I use it for draining tanks.

If you get tired of the kinking, flimsy hose and cheap components, go online and get a Python. It's more expensive but like I said, my original is 20 years old now.

timmylucas
07-01-2013, 04:20 PM
Too bad you didn't get a Python. Shoot, I'd have given you mine for shipping.
Aqueon is cheap and flimsy compared to Python. Yeah, it'll work but if you ever get your hands on a Python you'll find the hose is much better and won't be kinking. The cutoff valves work easier and better and you can get gravel tubes of different length.

When I recently ramped back up on the fish keeping, adding more tanks, I thought I'd get a new Python rather than use my 20yo original. The hose wouldn't completely clean. Pythons weren't carried in PETCO or PetSmart anymore so I got the Aqueon. Yuck! I found Python online, ordered a new one, cut some hose off and added to my old one which makes it long enough to go to the basement and I use it for draining tanks.

If you get tired of the kinking, flimsy hose and cheap components, go online and get a Python. It's more expensive but like I said, my original is 20 years old now.

I'll have to buy a phython when I get paid to test it out as well. Wow 20 years.. Your right though. The hose does kink very easy. Is the hose on the python thicker or is it still very thin like the aqueon?

8ftbed
07-01-2013, 04:26 PM
Thicker, more appropriate for dragging around. That Aqueon hose teed me off immediately. Even coiling it was a pita. I don't even think I'd use the Aqueon hose for a little six footer for just siphoning up the detritus in the bb tanks. Cheap, flimsy stuff.

I had to think for a minute about the age of original. Yeah, it's 20. I had 21 tanks online in military housing and got the Python sometime in 1993. Then I bought this house and moved in Oct '94 but had liquidated all my Angelfish pairs and fry and only kept a 55g community and pair of 29's in the new house. I shut down the 29's before returning to sea duty in 95 and I've had a 55g online since then, using that Python for weekly or bi-weekly changes. Then in May this year, I got the urge and new tanks and Discus have emerged. :)

lizziotti
07-01-2013, 04:29 PM
I'll have to buy a phython when I get paid to test it out as well. Wow 20 years.. Your right though. The hose does kink very easy. Is the hose on the python thicker or is it still very thin like the aqueon?

That's weird I find my python kinks easier than my aqueon and I prefer the other features also.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

8ftbed
07-01-2013, 04:35 PM
Well cool then. Trade your Python (milky white hose and green fittings?) to Timmy for his Aqueon. Win/Win, yeah? :)

8ftbed
07-01-2013, 05:19 PM
About time to do w/c's so here's a quick&dirty, one handed gopro clip. So Timmy can see side by side.

quick and dirty, no script, no editing :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_-CtzdOCnM

As with everything, whatever works for you is the right choice.

abuckley75
07-01-2013, 05:41 PM
I will have to agree with 8ftbed. My aqueon was a pain in the butt. If you don't store it just right between uses you get permanent kinks in the hose that never come out. I started with a python and loved it. Like you I needed a longer hose and unfortunately found out also that petco/petsmart no longer carry them and bought the aqueon. I hate that thing. After a few weeks I went online and order 2 more pythons and couldn't be happier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

8ftbed
07-01-2013, 08:46 PM
I...aqueon was a pain in the butt. If you don't store it just right between uses you get permanent kinks in the hose that never come out...

Yeah! That's what I needed to add. Thanks!! I almost forgot most of the niggling details since I didn't have it a week before like you, I did some google-fu and discovered them online. I got 100' and then cut the hose down to add to my old one.

Another think that torked me was that the washer would not stay in the faucet connect. Yes, I could probably have gotten replacement washers that actually fit and of quality, but taking something out of the box and finding out I have to tweak a bunch of things to make it work, it causes gnashing of teeth and bad language. Only Harleys have to be customized with all the things the manufacturer shoulda oughta did.

timmylucas
07-06-2013, 03:59 AM
About time to do w/c's so here's a quick&dirty, one handed gopro clip. So Timmy can see side by side.

quick and dirty, no script, no editing :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_-CtzdOCnM

As with everything, whatever works for you is the right choice.

Thanks for video. Recently I turned on my water and the pressure burst the head of the aqueon. Such a pain

8ftbed
07-06-2013, 09:28 PM
yup!