PDA

View Full Version : A question to those who age their water

KrisTENN
07-04-2013, 04:00 PM
Where do you store your water overnight for water changes? In a separate tank near your discus tank? In a barrel beside it? Or are there pumps that will pump it from your storage container in the next room?

I'm just trying to get a feel of what is "normal." At the moment, a spare tank is not an option to put in the same room as my discus tank. I'm considering getting a rolling garbage can (commercial grade, like janitors use), and just rolling it to my discus tank to pump the water in after its ages overnight. Does anyone see a problem with that?

zchauvin
07-04-2013, 04:14 PM
Where do you store your water overnight for water changes? In a separate tank near your discus tank? In a barrel beside it? Or are there pumps that will pump it from your storage container in the next room?

I'm just trying to get a feel of what is "normal." At the moment, a spare tank is not an option to put in the same room as my discus tank. I'm considering getting a rolling garbage can (commercial grade, like janitors use), and just rolling it to my discus tank to pump the water in after its ages overnight. Does anyone see a problem with that?

Brute container with heater and airstone, your idea is perfect. Just get a 44g and wheels, will be about $80

Kirbs
07-04-2013, 04:24 PM
I do the same thing except I've only got a 32 Gal. I need something in the area of 90+ gals!

Bud Smith
07-04-2013, 04:50 PM

barrels with a pump - hard piped to my tanks

LizStreithorst
07-04-2013, 06:06 PM
Do it the easiest way that works for you. Everybody's set up is different.

pauline
07-04-2013, 06:14 PM
If you get a barrel on wheels make sure the barrel is HEAVY duty. All of that water is heavy and it can burst through the barrel and can cause a wheel to collapse when moving it around.

blueluv
07-04-2013, 06:15 PM
I like the idea of wheels,easier to transport. My question to is, from the where you are going to fill it up and let age..is their carpet or tile. I have 75 gallon verticle water storage container next to my aquarium and adjacent to that is the sink from which I fill up the storage container.

discussmith
07-04-2013, 07:11 PM
Two 55 gal. Drums in the basement with a sump pump to pump it upstairs.

Trier20
07-04-2013, 08:22 PM
I have a 150g stock tank that people use to water livestock. It was about 100 bucks and it works great. I think you're idea would work but pushing that garbage can full of water is going to be a PITA. Remember a pint a pound a world around. So every gallon of water is 8lbs. so say you buy that 44g can like suggested. You'd be pushing about 350lbs around your basement. I would not enjoy that I don't know about you. I'd find a nice convenient place for it and leave it there. If you have a room in the basement that has a drain I'd put it there because you will over fill it if you dont' install floats in it. Thats a fact, Jack! HTH

Cullymoto
07-04-2013, 09:19 PM
I had a heavy duty 55gal waste bin and the water weigh split it wide open. Thankfully i had it in a basin in case such a thing happened or it would have destroyed my floor.
I now use a 2nd hand aquarium that I got off kijiji with a mag pump inside it.

freude88
07-04-2013, 09:58 PM
I use a 55 gallon storage tank with heater, and air stone to speed up aging. I then use a pump with a long hose to pump the water directly to my tank. I agree with Pauline and Brandon, moving that much water can be tricky. If you have a pump and a long tube you can basically move the water wherever you want it to go. My storage tank is in the garage.

KrisTENN
07-04-2013, 11:03 PM
Thanks for the responses, everyone. I just wanted to get a feel of what everyone else was doing and maybe get some ideas. I'm glad that y'all warned me about the garbage cans splitting open. I have hardwood floors so that could be a disaster. I could put a spare tank in the next room, but I would definitely need a pump with a long hose. Where is the best place to get a pump and extra long hose? It would need to be about 15-20 feet...

zchauvin
07-04-2013, 11:34 PM
Thanks for the responses, everyone. I just wanted to get a feel of what everyone else was doing and maybe get some ideas. I'm glad that y'all warned me about the garbage cans splitting open. I have hardwood floors so that could be a disaster. I could put a spare tank in the next room, but I would definitely need a pump with a long hose. Where is the best place to get a pump and extra long hose? It would need to be about 15-20 feet...

Get a brute trash can, a 44g easily fits in a corner. Then get a mag drive pump or any pup for that matter and put a barb on it and then a flexible hose. You can get 3/4" hose for $1.50 a foot.

Oh, and since you seem worried.. I have hardwood floor with a full to top 44g brute sitting in the corner and have never seen one split. Just don't get a little thin walled dollar general can.

BODYDUB
07-12-2013, 01:25 PM
I was able to pick up a 55G white water storage container form craigslist for $10. I just made one of the openings bigger to fit my water pump when I take the water out...........

troysdiiscus
07-12-2013, 01:32 PM
I have a 40 gallon storeage barrel beside my tank that I built a cabinet around it to match the height and design of my tank stand with a mathcing removable top to fill and pump to tank. I also bring in a 44 brute on saturday night to do 75% wc on sunday them put it back in storeage til the next week. Its whatever is easier for you and where your tank is located.