PDA

View Full Version : Do discus jump?

lwillis22
07-07-2013, 09:14 PM
I was thinking of putting my discus in my 110 gallon rimless but someone told me they jump. I guess I would have not thought of these fish as jumpers?

Skip
07-07-2013, 09:15 PM
Yes they can and do.. its a gamble

Discus-n00b
07-07-2013, 09:24 PM
Yes. I've only ever had young ones do it but any of them have the potential to if frightened.

I take the chance personally. I don't buy rimless tanks to put a cover over it.

lipadj46
07-07-2013, 09:24 PM
I lost 3 stendkers and almost lost 2 others to jumping before I smartened up and bought a FULL hood.

lwillis22
07-07-2013, 09:26 PM
Well dang, I guess I wouldn't have thought they would be a problem in a rimless tank.

blueluv
07-07-2013, 09:39 PM
Hmmm? I've never had one jump out of the tank, I don't use hoods. Just luck I guess or haven't owned discus long enough to experience the.. not that I would want to.

discusmat
07-07-2013, 09:42 PM
Yup came home from work one night and did a head count and sure enough, he had somehow jumped out
of the back of the tank.That's where I found him,back against the wall.Crying didn't help, so no don't do it.

White Worm
07-07-2013, 09:44 PM
YES! Don't take the chance. All it takes is once when you are not home to lose one of your favorite fish. I even had a lid but there was an opening along the back that he slipped through. 100% coverage over the top just to be sure and safe.

Skip
07-07-2013, 10:24 PM
Nicole lost a nada show fish to suicide.. another member had one jump from bottom tank into the top tank.. lol

discuspaul
07-07-2013, 10:27 PM
Yeah, they sure do. You might get lucky for a couple/few years, like I did, then lose 2-3 jumpers in a row - it happens.

Keith Perkins
07-07-2013, 11:10 PM
I've lost everything from 3 week old fry to spawning adults and everything in between to jumping. It's not a question of if, it's a question of when.

a volar
07-08-2013, 12:08 AM
They do jump for sure.......... I lost one and in another occasion save one, I was lucky to be around at that moment

Allwin
07-08-2013, 12:19 AM
I had a pretty interesting and frightening incident, during wc i noticed one of my discus missing all of a sudden in 2minutes. searched everywhere,even lowered all the water, moved the tank to see the back side, but no luck. No words to explain, noticed the missing bugger in the adjacent aging barrel :)

angelfriendsinthewater
07-08-2013, 12:45 AM
Glad you saved him! That happened to me also but it was an elephantnose who jumped into a goldfish tank! It must have been so unpleasant for him but it saved his life. The tank was a metre away and temporarily on the ground.

UOTE=Allwin;1012421]I had a pretty interesting and frightening incident, during wc i noticed one of my discus missing all of a sudden in 2minutes. searched everywhere,even lowered all the water, moved the tank to see the back side, but no luck. No words to explain, noticed the missing bugger in the adjacent aging barrel :)[/QUOTE]

nwehrman
07-08-2013, 09:34 AM
Yep - nothing like finding your nicest fish on the floor all dried up in the morning.... Cover or its a risk!

Discus-n00b
07-08-2013, 10:07 AM
For me it comes down to the tank. Is it a nice expensive rimless? Im going with yes since its 110gal. Why are you going to cover it, lose that rimless look, and basically lose that money you invested into a rimless tank for an at most $250 fish? You could of gotten a standard tank with a rim and covered it for a lot less. you bought a rimless because you wanted a rimless tank. Sorry but the tank wins. I spent hundreds on my 100gal starphire rimless, ill be damned if I'm going to cover it up....I can replace a fish.

That's my mindset. I've had a few fish carpet surf but I've still yet to cover my tanks lol.

Disgirl
07-08-2013, 01:46 PM
Just wondering something here. If a person has a rimless tank, they are beautiful, and has floating plants like wisteria, water lettuce, or even duckweed, covering the whole water top, bright light hanging over it of course, would this keep discus from jumping out? And yes, they sure do jump!
Barb

Discus-n00b
07-08-2013, 03:36 PM
I don't think it will stop it Barb. I've actually seen some of the instances when a fish jumps out of my tank and its more of the fish being scared and freaking out and the only place to go is up and out because its not a glass wall. I don't believe discus jump to jump, there seems to always be a reason for it jumping. Stressed, scared, freaking out etc. So I'm not sure in that case you really are cutting down on the chances other than maybe providing a happier home for the fish.

CrazyAngels
07-08-2013, 06:11 PM
There is always the option that you uncover it while you are around and put some egg crate divider type material over it when you are away, like night time (usually when mine jump) and if you are at work.

8ftbed
07-14-2013, 04:13 PM
Some of the high bodies look like bluegill when they're mature. All big, fat, round and hunky. Jumpers, huh? They might be fun on some ultra light tackle and eat good to boot.

post-it note posted for future ref.

:)

camuth8
07-14-2013, 07:23 PM
Luckily I haven't had any discus jump before, but I have had other fish jump. A Golden Wonder Killie was able to fit through a hole in the hood and we couldn't find it for weeks! I did find it though, all dried up.:(I know that many fish are able to jump but they don't do it very often.

I like hoods on my tank because it looks nicer, but floating plants would look cool. Barb, I'm not certain, but I'd be surprised if a discus had the guts to jump through some floating plants, although I haven't had any experience.:)

Elliots
07-15-2013, 01:51 PM
If you can't get good cover with a hood or plate glass use Saran Wrap for what is left open.

JERRYKEVIN
07-15-2013, 05:06 PM
Mine are trained to jump on command--Before they jump the ask me "How Hi"? LOL

Discusdude7
07-15-2013, 06:02 PM
Mine are trained to jump on command--Before they jump the ask me "How Hi"? LOL

HAHA!!!

Crunchy
07-20-2013, 08:56 PM
I think big adults don't get freaked out as much as much as juvies. My big adults are unfazed when i put a siphon in the tank and move it around, it's the smaller fishes that get very jumpy.

If rimless no cover, adults in a planted with some floating plants will do nicely. There is still a possibility of jumping, but the bigger the fish the less likely from what i've seen.

Baygon
07-22-2013, 05:16 PM
Although they are not jumpers like arowanas but they do jump sometimes so either you leave a few inches or have it covered...