PDA

View Full Version : two questions on the process of quarantine new discus heeeeelp.

kompakt
07-14-2013, 11:13 AM
Hi eveybody

So my 65g tank is all ready for me to start adding discus.
I was wondering two questions..

First i know you need 5-6 discus per tank for them to be happy and comfortable.
So if one was to aquire 5-6 discus from one source, how would they quarantine them
all seperatley? Who has 5-6 hospital tanks all set up?....

would you keep them all in your main tank together with no other fish for 6 weeks then add
other compatable fish after?

second is my personal scenario.
I purchased one nice healthy 3" discus from a local person in my area.
I have put him in my 30g bare bottom quarantine tank and will be watching him closely.
So how long must i keep him in quarantine before adding him to my main 65g BB tank, seeing that
he will be going into a tank that wont have any other discus in it?

I understand you don't want to add 1 discus to a tank with 5 others before 6 weeks quarantine and transfer an illnes to all your fish.But is the quarantine process the same length of time when its the first fish going into
the main tank.

(note) i 'm 100% planning to have 5-6 discus total.But adding them one at a time as soon as quarantine is
done on each of them.

thanks in advance for the help.

lipadj46
07-14-2013, 12:50 PM
Don't add them one at a time, buy a group from a sponsor here of all the same size and put them in your tank (assuming it is a freshly cycled tank with no other fish in it). Be patient save your money and in the mean time read read read everything in the beginners section. Your plan is a recipe for sick and dead discus IMO

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code

Tazalanche
07-14-2013, 01:43 PM
Don't add them one at a time, buy a group from a sponsor here of all the same size and put them in your tank (assuming it is a freshly cycled tank with no other fish in it). Be patient save your money and in the mean time read read read everything in the beginners section. Your plan is a recipe for sick and dead discus IMO+1

camuth8
07-16-2013, 11:09 AM
Don't add them one at a time, buy a group from a sponsor here of all the same size and put them in your tank (assuming it is a freshly cycled tank with no other fish in it). Be patient save your money and in the mean time read read read everything in the beginners section. Your plan is a recipe for sick and dead discus IMO

+2

Tazalanche
07-16-2013, 01:27 PM
Here's a perfect opportunity if you're wanting adult discus:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?107524-25-DISCOUNT-ON-ADULTS!!!!!!!!!!

kompakt
07-16-2013, 06:20 PM
Here's a perfect opportunity if you're wanting adult discus:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?107524-25-DISCOUNT-ON-ADULTS!!!!!!!!!!

Those look amazing but i'm looking for discus in the 3" range,then i can grow them out.
To tell you the truth i don't fancy the really big discus. I'd be happy with 4-5" discus.

kompakt
07-16-2013, 06:24 PM

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code

I'm going to take your advice and buy all 5 from one breeder.
Too bad there is only 1 Canadian discus sponsered breeder connected to this site.

Anyone know of any other quaility Canadian discus breeders?