PDA

View Full Version : Setting up new tank

frenchbrit
07-16-2013, 04:17 PM
I kept discus about 25 years ago and haven't had any since then. I am currently setting up a discus tank to grow our some youngsters. My water parameters are Ph 7.4-7.6 with TDS of 195-200 our of the tap. I will have an aged water barrel to do water changes from but the high Ph has me somewhat concerned. Do you think I will be able to successfully grow out discus with these water parameters with frequent water changes and high quality food?

dillpickle
07-16-2013, 04:20 PM
Hi

IMO you should be good. Just my opinion.;)

kareen
07-16-2013, 04:34 PM
MY PH IS HIGH ALL MY DISCUS DO JUST FINE

troysdiiscus
07-16-2013, 04:36 PM
as long as you keep it consistant you will be fine, some on here have ph 8 and higher... they are not wilds correct, domestic?

Eddie
07-16-2013, 06:01 PM
As all others have mentioned, you are perfectly fine. What is the PH of your water after 24 hours of aeration?

abuckley75
07-16-2013, 07:05 PM
I have a PH of 8.2 and have no problems. Consistency in the number is more important than the number itself. You will only need low PH if you have wilds or breeding pairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

frenchbrit
07-16-2013, 09:36 PM
Thanks everyone. That is what I was hoping to hear. 24 hrs aeration ph is still 7.6. My plan is just to grow out discus at first and then maybe try some pair set up. At that time I realize I will need to lower my parameters to meet their needs. I intend to keep domestic. No wilds for me although years ago I did keep them.

Eddie
07-16-2013, 09:38 PM
Thanks everyone. That is what I was hoping to hear. 24 hrs aeration ph is still 7.6. My plan is just to grow out discus at first and then maybe try some pair set up. At that time I realize I will need to lower my parameters to meet their needs. I intend to keep domestic. No wilds for me although years ago I did keep them.

Not necessarily. Just discussing this right now with a mod. He has high ph and hard water and still gets a 90% hatch rate. You just have to see how it all goes.

Trier20
07-17-2013, 02:27 AM
Hard water is great to grow out youngsters in. It's full of needed minerals. I believe this minimizes growth defects. My ph won't even read on the high ph test kit from API and my fish do great.

frenchbrit
07-17-2013, 03:35 PM
That's good news. I will try things out first. Firts things first---growing our youngsters. Then if I decided to attempt the breeding process I will see how successfully it goes with my water parameters before investing in RO/DI etc. Baby steps and all in good time :)

frenchbrit
07-17-2013, 03:36 PM
IT would appear that learning to type may be first thing !!!!!!!!

Eddie
07-18-2013, 08:41 PM
That's good news. I will try things out first. Firts things first---growing our youngsters. Then if I decided to attempt the breeding process I will see how successfully it goes with my water parameters before investing in RO/DI etc. Baby steps and all in good time :)

That sounds like a perfect plan. Too many folks immediately jump into trying to breed before they have ever raised fish. You have to walk before you can run. ;)