PDA

View Full Version : Start Up Logistics

Nu2Discus
07-21-2013, 05:01 PM
I'm still in the process of learning, doing my homework, and organizing things out. I'm wondering about a few things when first starting out.

I'm probably going to get a 180 gallon display tank. I was initially going to put the discus right in to the display tank after cycling the tank, and quarantining them in there. But after thinking about it, I thought maybe I should instead buy a separate tank and quarantine them there first, in case I run into a problem they'd already be in quarantine. Do you think that's a good idea?

If I did the quarantine tank first before the display tank route, how many discus do you think would be ok if I went with 4 inch fish in a 50 or 55 gallon tank? Another thought I was having was, since the quarantine is already 2 mons or so, how fast do discus grow? How long would it take them to grow from 3 to 5 inches? Maybe I'd get smaller fish and just keep them in the quarantine a bit longer before transferring them. Do you think that's a good idea?

Also just thinking about other tank mates. If I wanted to add cardinals or rummys or something, do you think it's better to add them to the display first before the discus, or add them piecemeal after the discus are added.

Thanks for your help.

camuth8
07-21-2013, 05:07 PM
I wouldn't do the 55. It would just take the stress off the discus from being moved to a different tank. Plus, if there hasn't been fish in the 180 yet, you can still do quarantine without stressing them out.

For the growing question, it depends on how much you feed them and do water changes.

White Worm
07-21-2013, 06:26 PM
15-20 (depending on tank layout and substrate) discus could live in the 180 with no problems from the beginning with good filtering, frequent water changes and cleaner foods. I would add other schooling fish later after a thorough and separate quarantine.

Nu2Discus
07-22-2013, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the responses.

Caleb- initially I was thinking of putting the fish directly into the display as well . But then I thought maybe it would be better to quarantine them first in the smaller tank. That way it would be easier to watch them, and treat if need be. Plus I was thinking I'd have a better chance of keeping the display clean from disease. Do you think it would overly stress the discus to move between tanks?

Mike- I am going to quarantine everything I bring into the tank just to be safer. But you think it's better the bring the discus into the display first, and then add the schoolers later? I was debating if it would be better to cycle the display tank, then add the schoolers after quarantine, then wait a bit, let things settle, and then bring in the discus after quarantine. I'm not sure which way is better.

Thanks for your help.

hillbillyamber
07-22-2013, 01:23 PM
How big are your Discus going to be? Do you want to be doing huge water changes on a 180? I didn't want to grow out discus in a 180. I got a 55 for grow out and feed heavy and do 85% daily water changes, bare bottom. SO when I grow them out thy will then transfer to the 180 gallon. DO make sure that you do a QT and meds. I only had angels and one pleco in my 180. 6 months later one fell really sick. Turned out to be Hex. 6 months! SO deworm the living crap out of whatever you place with your discus. Watching them apparently isn't enough. I am so glad I didn't mix mine.

Nu2Discus
07-22-2013, 02:03 PM
Well the size will depend on where I decide to put the discus from the get go. If I put them into the display tank, like I was initially planning, I was thinking of getting about 4 inches or so. But then I was reading about quarantine and it being 2-3 mons, I started thinking maybe to get another tank, and since they'd already be in quarantine for almost 3 mons anyway, maybe I'd I might as well go a bit smaller, and keep them in quarantine another few months and grow them out, and possibly get more fish. Lol, lots to consider.

Thanks for the heads up about de-worming. Yea I've been reading about the pros and cons of treating prophylacticly. Again, lots to consider. So you also de-worm the non discus tank mates as well, or just the discus?

Nu2Discus
07-24-2013, 05:49 PM
Anyone else with some thoughts?

White Worm
07-24-2013, 09:52 PM
New tank, fish-less cycle and add discus. Let them get settled and then later you could add schooling fish after a thorough quarantine.

Nu2Discus
07-31-2013, 04:58 PM
If I did the 55 gallon quarantine tank first would I be limited to 5-6 discus if I went with something like 4 inch fish? Or could I add more for the limited 2 months of quarantine?

strawberryblonde
07-31-2013, 05:44 PM
If you're planning to pretty much fill the 180 with discus that would be anywheres from a dozen to 16 of them. That would be difficult to manage in a 55g grow out, so if you can afford to purchase all of them at once, find a good sponsor here on the forums and buy them as large as you can handle. I prefer the 4" discus and they'd do quite well going straight into the 180g.

Once you've had them for awhile and gotten the hang of the water changes and feedings, go ahead and buy your tetras and corydora's. They can easily be QT'd in the 55g and water changes will be a cinch compared to the big tank. =)

I don't know if Discus Hans is still selling cories and cardinal tetras, but I purchased cards from him and then didn't have to worry about QT, just plopped my new discus and the cards straight into my display tank.

Ohhh, you'll also want to ask about whether or not to treat them when you get them. I know that Hans say it's not necessary and I trust him completely, but other sponsors may have different ideas.

Nu2Discus
07-31-2013, 06:43 PM
Well eventually I think I'd like something like 12-15 discus in total something like that. Buying them all at once adds up to a good chunk of change. Especially in the beginning with all the other things you have to buy to get the tank started. I haven't decided yet but maybe I'd get half of that maybe 8 or so. Then later buy the other half. If I bought them from the same sponsor do you think I'd run in the trouble by adding discus in 2 separate batches? Do you think 8 or so 4 inch discus would be too much in a 55 gallon for quarantine?

White Worm
08-01-2013, 01:20 AM
Buying 8 now and then 8 later from the same sponsor would be the best option and the safest. Keep in mind, they will most likely be from separate shipments so who really knows but always quarantine new fish. 8 in the big tank to start would be nice. The next 8 go into the 55g for quarantine and then join the initial 8 at a later date.