PDA

View Full Version : New discus

Lozzabig
07-22-2013, 07:46 AM
Hi people I new to simply discus, I am also new to keeping discus,I bought 4 discus of some one who had an established tank 3 of them are great eating well I lost one sun due to it not eating tryed everything but sadly she died😞so decided to go and buy 2 more we have put them in the tank but the other discus will not stop pecking them and pushing them in the corner they are smaller fish but is this normal will they be exepted eventually ?

AquaAnt
07-22-2013, 08:47 AM
Sorry for your loss...Discus have a pecking order as well as many other fish, once that is established they should be fine... also what size tank do you have 5 discus in?

Lozzabig
07-22-2013, 10:22 AM
Hi there it's a 195 litre tank we have 5 discus and about 15 small fish

camuth8
07-22-2013, 11:07 AM
It's called a pecking order. The smaller fish are chased around by at least one of the bigger fish. They will get used to it though, as it's a common thing among discus. If they're not getting any food, though, try to block off the bigger ones(with a sheet of glass or something)so the small discus can come out and eat undisturbed. What size are the discus?

You may want to look around this forum for more information on keeping discus, too. Welcome to Simply.:)

Elliots
07-22-2013, 01:43 PM
I do not know if this works but try putting food in on opposite sides of the tank at the same time.

Baygon
07-22-2013, 04:36 PM
Lozza just a friendly reminder that you should always quarantine your new fish prior putting them into the main tank as new fish might bring unknown disease to your healthy fish.

Regarding the pecking issue, it is normal because no one like home invasion but they will get used to it. Unless the chasing/pecking thing kept on going for a long time then you have to either take out the aggresive member into a separate tank for awihle "as a punishment" then put it back and see how it behaves. Plan B is to get a divder and separate them or Plan C sell it :(

AquaAnt
07-24-2013, 11:11 PM
Byron is right about ALWAYS Quarantine your fish for several weeks to a month just in case of infection or diseases that new fish may bring!