PDA

View Full Version : New member completed questionaire

mtscott
07-23-2013, 11:50 AM
This questionnaire may be used to either help you to describe your new tank setup for discus or
be a “food for thought” checklist while you consider what your goals are with your new discus tank setup.

1) Please Introduce your self and tell us what your experience is with fishkeeping, give us as much information as possible as to how long in the hobby, what you have kept in the past and what you currently are working with.

Hello my name is Scott. I live in Billings Montana. I have been keeping SA cichlids for about a year and a half. I am interested in discus and joined the forum. Interested in NADA and would like to know if there are any members in this area.

2) If you have no previous experience with keeping discus, have you done any research to properly prepare yourself, e.g. have you read any Stickies in this section of SimplyDiscus, or other material?

I have been reading stickies forum post and other information on the Internet.

3) Describe your tank, its size and dimensions, breeding or display. Include how long it has been setup or if it is still being cycled.

Tank is a Aqueon 110x - 48x18x2. I have the tank in my living room with no current plans for breeding. Tank has been set up for 1.5 years and is cycled. Current occupants are 2 bristle nose Plecos, 11 neons, a few guppies from my daughters tank and half a dozen mystery snails.

4) Describe the décor for the tank; type of substrate or bare bottom (BB), whether the tank will be planted or a biotope.

Tank has about an inch of black gravel and 4 pieces of drift wood 15-20" in size.

5) Describe your water changes planned or practiced, percentage and how often. Include if you age your water and use of tap/RO or mix.

I change 10-20% every day to every other day. I currently do not age water.

6) Describe the type of filtration planned/used for the tank; sponge, HOB and/or sump. Also include the other equipment you are, or will be, using in your tank, e.g. heater, lighting, etc.

Eheim 2080 pro 3 with integral heating element.

Cheap small Hob filter used for surface agitation.

7) If the tank is already setup and running, include the water parameters;

- temp _____84f

- tank ph _____ 7.6

- Ph of the water straight out of your tap _____7.4

- ammonia reading ____ check weekly very low

- nitrite reading ____

- nitrate reading ____

- well water ____

- municipal water ____city water

8) Describe your current or planned stocking levels; number/size of discus and number/type of dither fish. Where did you get your discus from or do you have a proposed source for getting your discus?

I would like to keep tetras, plecos, and snails. Considering 6-9 discus.

9) Describe your planned or existing feeding regimen. Include what and how often you are feeding on a daily basis.

Plan 3 feedings daily combination of frozen mysis shrimp, frozen beef heart and discus flakes (cobalt?).

10) What are your goals in this hobby? For example are you looking to keep discus in a planted community tank, or do you hope to become a hobby breeder of Discus? Do you want to raise Discus with the hopes of competing in shows?

Fish would be for personal enjoyment satisfaction.

discuspaul
07-23-2013, 11:58 AM
Welcome to Simply Discus.
Seems like you have done your homework, and are quite well prepared to get started.
Be sure to get your discus from a fully reliable, experienced source, such as any of the sponsors here, to ensure you're getting healthy, well-shaped, quality stock (of a decent size) to begin with. That's half-way to being successful at keeping discus.
Best of luck to you. We're all here to help if you feel you need any.

camuth8
07-23-2013, 12:19 PM
Welcome to Simply Discus.
Seems like you have done your homework, and are quite well prepared to get started.
Be sure to get your discus from a fully reliable, experienced source, such as any of the sponsors here, to ensure you're getting healthy, well-shaped, quality stock (of a decent size) to begin with. That's half-way to being successful at keeping discus.
Best of luck to you. We're all here to help if you feel you need any.

+1:D

dr.nick73
07-23-2013, 03:01 PM
I just started my tank as well I would go with discus that are a little larger say 4-5" in size as they are a little easier to take care of in a tank with substrate. Little fish require large feedings and multiple water changes each day to get them to grow out and be healthy

DiscusLoverJeff
07-23-2013, 03:42 PM
Welcome to SD.

You have a good start to a discus tank. Not sure about the guppies and neons with larger discus as they could become food for them. Don't know if anyone puts guppies with discus, but if it works then great. Guppies may be to fast swimming fish. Discus prefer a much slower enviornment.

As mentioned, get your discus from a sponser or member who sells quality fish.

Hope we can see some pictures soon.

Good luck!

Jeff

mtscott
07-23-2013, 05:34 PM
Thanks for all the replys. The fish I currently have in the tank may stay or go. I also forgot to list a large flow through UV lamp on the discharge go the eheim.

strawberryblonde
07-23-2013, 07:05 PM
Hi Scott and welcome to the forums! =)

It sounds like you're doing all the right things in order to get ready for discus keeping. There's a bit of a learning curve on them, but once you get the routine down they are actually quite simple to keep healthy. They like just a few things and here they are in short form:

1) Clean water! For juvies (under 3") you'll need to do two water changes a day, so most of us put them into a smaller grow out tank till they reach 5". For sub-adults (3.5" - 5") you'll need to do at least one large water change per day, so you could keep them your main tank to grow them out, but it'll mean changing out 80% of that water daily. For adults (5.5" - 9") they'll need water changes a few times a week.

2) High quality foods! Discus like a variety of foods and most of them should be high in protein. Mine love frozen beefheart (especially good for growing out younsters), freeze dried blackworms and discus flakes. There are also some very good pellet and "bits" type foods on the market.

3) Stable pH and low nitrates! So long as your pH is stable, the actual numbers don't matter much. Hard or soft is fine, but wild swings aren't good. For the nitrates, aim to keep them below 5ppm.

And that's about it. There are some other little things, but those are the most important ones for success in raising and keeping discus.

Here are the only things I saw in your questionnaire that might need to be addressed before you add discus.

1) Tank volume. You said that it's a 48x18x24, right? If so, that's a 90 gallon tank, not a 110. For a 110 the height should be about 30". If yours is actually a 90 it would be better to go with no more than 8 discus to start. More than that means more water changes even when they are adults. I managed to keep 13 in a 110 successfully for 6 months one time, but I had to do 80% water changes daily to keep the nitrates down.

2) The gravel. Gravel is ok, but you may find that it hides too much detritus and causes your nitrates to rise. Sand is a better alternative because the poop and food bits lay on top where you can easily find it and siphon it out at each water change.

3) Ammonia. You said that your ammonia levels are very low. They actually should be zero and if you are getting any reading at all something is out of balance in the tank. Check for hidden decaying food and detritus in the gravel and in the filters. A pre-filter on the canister intake will eliminate the gunk build up in there, and sand will take care of decay in the substrate. =)

And this part is just my own preferences, but if it was me, I'd rehome all your current fish and then stock discus friendly tetras and cory cats. Pleco's are HUGE poopers and will add to the bio load. They aren't really necessary in a discus tank since you're cleaning it so often that algae doesn't have much of a chance to grow. There are several varieties of tetras and cories who can handle the higher discus temps and who will add some splashes of color to the tank. I have Sterbai cory cats and those little guys are a blast to watch as they scurry over the sand and scoop up food bits.

Ok, that's it for now. Keep us posted as you get your tank setup for your discus. We all will want pics of your babies when they arrive too!

mtscott
07-23-2013, 10:57 PM
Looks like typo on my tank size. Height is 29.5". Yes it is a 110x. Ammonia level is undetectable or zero. Leaning towards Hans Discus. Thanks for the replies.

camuth8
07-23-2013, 11:58 PM
You should be able to find out what the ammonia is.

Hans is one of the most reliable people to get discus from. You made a good choice, and good luck!:)

mtscott
07-24-2013, 04:50 PM
The ran water test today. Ammonia is zero. Removed all the gravel. Left one large piece of driftwood. I am going to leave the neons, guppies and one bristle nose pleco. Placed an order with Hans. I should have some fish on Friday.

Again thanks for the replies.