PDA

View Full Version : Peat Reactor?

Monstertails
07-23-2013, 11:17 PM
I just switched from saltwater to a freshwater setup and my water is from a well here in PA and it is very hard and the ph is 7.6 from the tap, I was told from my lfs that I should use peat to lower the ph and soften the water, so my question is there a pellet form of peat and can I use it in my phosphate reactor that I have from my saltwater set up?

camuth8
07-23-2013, 11:59 PM
You don't need to lower your ph. Discus will get accustomed to your water and it won't effect them. 7.6 is actually around what a lot of us have our ph at.

Welcome to Simply!

timmy82
07-24-2013, 12:17 AM
I wouldn't go altering the Ph or messing with the water too much unless you trying to breed. Those peat bricks aren't any good as they have a bonding agent in them so I wouldn't risk it. If you want peat you need to get natral organic peat which is only peat.

a volar
07-24-2013, 12:56 AM
I just switched from saltwater to a freshwater setup and my water is from a well here in PA and it is very hard and the ph is 7.6 from the tap, I was told from my lfs that I should use peat to lower the ph and soften the water, so my question is there a pellet form of peat and can I use it in my phosphate reactor that I have from my saltwater set up?

I will not trust any LFS advise on discus, go to the beginners section of this forum and read............ Welcome!

Len
07-24-2013, 01:09 AM
there are several brands of peat pellets available at most pet stores, but as said you probably don't want to mess around with the water too much unless you have a specific need or reason. Just focus on clean consistent water conditions and you'll be much better off.

Monstertails
07-24-2013, 04:12 AM
Ok great!!! Thank you for the welcome! If I may also ask, can I use a power head with discus? The water to me looks very still and I am not realy accustom to that. I have 75 gal tank with a 30 gal wet dry.

zchauvin
07-24-2013, 08:27 AM
Ok great!!! Thank you for the welcome! If I may also ask, can I use a power head with discus? The water to me looks very still and I am not realy accustom to that. I have 75 gal tank with a 30 gal wet dry.

You can just so long as its weak, remember they aren't reef fish ;)

camuth8
07-24-2013, 11:33 AM
You can just so long as its weak, remember they aren't reef fish ;)

+1

flexo248
07-24-2013, 03:26 PM
http://www.nuvoh2o.com/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=nuvo%20water%20softener&utm_campaign=nuvoH2O%20Brand

not sure if this will work but I saw it on TV

Monstertails
07-24-2013, 04:58 PM
thank you everyone I appreciate the help