PDA

View Full Version : Water Changes

Monstertails
07-25-2013, 07:18 PM
I have a 75 gal. tank with a 30 gal wet/dry and I am running a protein skimmer, my water supply comes from a 700' well drilled in my front yard, and my question is what is the max length of time I can get out of a water change? I know people post to do a change every day but I want to know if I can go a week on a 20 gal water change? My local store said he does a 25% change at home every two weeks and his discus are 2 years old and doing fine.

dkeef
07-25-2013, 07:26 PM
Local store standards are way lower than ppl here.
But minimum 1-2 times per week is recommended or even more.
Also depend on how many u plan to keep.

Monstertails
07-25-2013, 07:35 PM
I want to try and keep 6 discus in that tank, why do these fish need so many water changes? I was reading on here that some people are doing 75 to 80 gal every 1 to 2 days, that seems like a lot. I know water changes are a must I have had my saltwater tank for 10 years, but I know with my schedule I can only get to it once a week. Can I get away with only once a week? I don't want to get these fish and have them suffer but I also don't want to spend all my free time doing water changes.

dkeef
07-25-2013, 07:41 PM
Those that wanna grow them to maximum size or breed them will do more wcs.
They will get stunted or grow very little if water isnt optimum.
Also they r more sensitive to disease if water isnt perfect.
Altho all my water checks out fine if water change is delayed, sometimes they will show fungus growing on them.
Thats a sign to me that wc is needed.
U cant just measure water parameters and say everything is fine so ill skip wc.
What ive learned from those here is that the fish will tell u how often u need to do wcs.

There r ppl who do way less wcs and think their discus is fine. Well those ppl havent seen the optimal quality discus and dont care to get there.

My tank is 320 gal and in the beginning, doing 70-80% wc / week wasnt enough. Tank was new and fish had fungus when they were stressed from fighting.
Now things r more settled and with weekly wc, they r doing good.
Im not shooting to grow them to 8-9" or breed them. Just want pretty healthy ones.

timmy82
07-25-2013, 07:55 PM
Those that wanna grow them to maximum size or breed them will do more wcs.
They will get stunted or grow very little if water isnt optimum.
Also they r more sensitive to disease if water isnt perfect.
Altho all my water checks out fine if water change is delayed, sometimes they will show fungus growing on them.
Thats a sign to me that wc is needed.
U cant just measure water parameters and say everything is fine so ill skip wc.
What ive learned from those here is that the fish will tell u how often u need to do wcs.

There r ppl who do way less wcs and think their discus is fine. Well those ppl havent seen the optimal quality discus and dont care to get there.

My tank is 320 gal and in the beginning, doing 70-80% wc / week wasnt enough. Tank was new and fish had fungus when they were stressed from fighting.
Now things r more settled and with weekly wc, they r doing good.
Im not shooting to grow them to 8-9" or breed them. Just want pretty healthy ones.

Good points here.
Depending on what you are trying to acheive but if trying to grow them you can't cut back water changes, if they are of full adult size then you could get away with less. I don't do big changes I have 60 tanks on an auto system which works out to 3 water changes a day and I can vary the % on each tank but most are around 30% 3 times a day.

Keith Perkins
07-25-2013, 08:06 PM
If you want to do the least amount of water changes possible the best bet is to invest in adult fish that you don't have to worry about growth rate. You can pretty easily get away with 1 WC a week, though I'd do more than 20 gallons. I'd do at least 50% and would be more comfortable in the 75% range.

Monstertails
07-25-2013, 08:06 PM
I can see multiple water changes a day with an auto system but if I had to do that with a bucket it would be impossible for me. I not worried about growing them I just don't want them to suffer, that is my concern. Does once a week sound possible? Or is that not even a reality? And also when people are talking about 60-70 % every day or two is that with an auto system or do they manually?

Keith Perkins
07-25-2013, 08:09 PM
Depends what you mean by manual. I siphon my water to a PVC drain system and refill the tanks from water reservoirs with a pump. That's still manual to me, though it's definitely a big step above buckets.

dkeef
07-25-2013, 08:16 PM
I say go for 5"+ size ones only. And u can get six.
In the beginning couple months do 50% wc twice a week. Watch yur fish. Then slowly change to once per week but then i would do 70%+ wc for once a week.
I use pump to siphon out 80% weekly. Thats about 240 gallons. Then use tap to fill.
U can use python or jehmco sells the pump siphon i have.
If u plan to keep discus, doing wc with bucket is insane idea. U need siphon wc system using suction or pump.

Monstertails
07-25-2013, 08:25 PM
Thank you all for the great info. I love the colors of the discus,I just want to be responsible and make sure I can provide what is needed for these fish. I have a protein reactor and was wondering if I fill it with carbon would that help at all? I do have some live plants growing and I don't know if that helps?

dkeef
07-25-2013, 08:30 PM
Protein skimmer or ca reactor?
U dont need either one really for discus.
I would rather get uv sterilizer if i wanna get fancy equipment.
Plants can help with nitrate but again with good wc u dont really need them.

a volar
07-25-2013, 08:44 PM
Good David! looks like you are getting just to the idea of water changes :)

Good advise you are giving to Monstertrails

Monstertails
07-25-2013, 08:57 PM
the protein skimmer was left over from one of my saltwater tanks there is also a uv running. I figured running the skimmer wont do much but it cant hurt, the reactor is also left over I just dont know what media would be beneficial

dkeef
07-25-2013, 09:05 PM
When i started to think about discus 3 months ago, i was just like u.
Hated doing wcs and was trying to come up with ways not to do. I also have a toddler and infant so time was the issue.
I have kept every kind of aquarium before discus and i hated wc on all of them.
One thing that surprised me is that i actually enjoy wc now with discus.
I dont understand why but i just do. U may like it too.
But for sure figure out a way to do quick wc. 3-4 hrs wc is just too time consuming.

Monstertails
07-25-2013, 10:59 PM
Thank you, after much thought you are right. The fish are to cool not to do it right!!

Monstertails
07-25-2013, 11:02 PM
I have dwarf grass and some plants growing, do I vac the bottom every water change or do I just drain and fill?

dkeef
07-26-2013, 12:17 AM
I just drain and fill cuz whole tank substrate is covered with plants. But i would vacuum any area devoid of plants.