PDA

View Full Version : Return pump GPG

Monstertails
07-27-2013, 08:24 AM
I have a quick question about my return pump, I have a 75 gal planted tank and I have a 30 gal wet/dry filter, the return pump has a 330 Gph rating @ 1 foot, someone told me that the tank should turn over 10 times an hour, and someone told me that the 330 Gph is fine, is 330 Gph good or should I get a bigger return pump? The tank is still cycling so no discus in tank yet and i just want to have the correct flow rate.

Second Hand Pat
07-27-2013, 09:01 AM
I have the same setup and drive it with a mag drive 7. It has a GPH of 480 at about four feet.

Monstertails
07-28-2013, 08:22 AM
Should I invest in a larger return pump? Can the fish handle a 5-600 Gph return?

Second Hand Pat
07-28-2013, 08:33 AM
I think what you have is fine.

Monstertails
07-28-2013, 08:54 AM
Ok thanks I will leave it. I just read online that the bio media in my wet/dry filter should be placed in the wet area of my filter under the plastic bio balls, what is this about? Are bio balls not enough?

kevin.whisler
07-28-2013, 04:45 PM
I also think that what you have is just fine. If you start over thinking it, or reading online opinions about various types of filters, bio media, and turnover rates you will just make yourself crazy. On this site alone you can read literally hundreds of threads about the topic. And you will find people successfully using and singing the praises of all of them. The one common element is that they all work. You will find people using turnover rates ranging from 2x per hour to 12x to “I have no idea”. Personally, I think that a 10x turnover rate is crazy high. In your 75 gallon tank, that is 12.5 gallons per minute. A typical garden hose at full volume does not flow that much. I am sure that it would work, but there is no way that you actually need that much flow. All types of bio media work fine, and once they are cycled and as long as you don’t do something crazy like replace all of the media at once or rinse it in scalding tap water, it will continue to work fine. There is no such thing as too much bio media, so add more if you like, but your bio balls alone will suffice. My advice on selecting a bio filter/media is:

1. Select a type of filter that you like (or better yet that you already have) and that is rated for at least your size of tank.
2. Load it with bio media of your liking (more will never hurt, but you do not need a crazy amount)
3. Pump water through it.

It really does not need to be any more complicated than that. The filter/media/pump combo that you have is an excellent choice for a 75g tank. Use it with confidence.

DerekFF
07-28-2013, 04:56 PM
You're on the low end of the stick for gph but it'll will work.

Bio balls are fine but don't do any mechanical cleaning of the water, meaning they don't really catch any particulate. Bio balls just help the bacterial nitrate process. The filter pads are there to catch out the particles as they flow past. Bio balls do accumulate crap over time and should be either tumbled to prevent this build up or cleaned every 2-4 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monstertails
07-28-2013, 09:22 PM
Thanks so much guys I am great full for all the help