PDA

View Full Version : Eshopps HOB Overflow Box

dbrodeur
07-28-2013, 02:19 PM
I'm thinking about getting a sump; however, I don't want to drill holes in my tank. Has anybody ever use Eshopps HOB Overflow box? Please let me know what you think about this item. Also, if you have better option, I'm open for any suggestions. Thank you.

a volar
07-28-2013, 02:53 PM
I'm thinking about getting a sump; however, I don't want to drill holes in my tank. Has anybody ever use Eshopps HOB Overflow box? Please let me know what you think about this item. Also, if you have better option, I'm open for any suggestions. Thank you.

I have never used those but I'm an Ex-reefer and in the reef hobby very few people trust them, obviously it is working for some people I'm sure, but there is a big risk of flooding.... Drilling a tank is not hard, I have drilled many glass and acrylic tanks, I'll drill it just for the pace of mind........ JMO

kevin.whisler
07-28-2013, 03:05 PM
I have never used one but was seriously considering it at one time. They look fine to me but seem very expensive for what they are. If you decide to go with an overflow and want a less expensive option, google "DIY overflows" and you will find many options for making your own.

pauline
07-28-2013, 04:23 PM
I have one and haven't had any problems with it. Not being a "DIYer" I opted for the Eshopps for convenience. I don't have any problems with gurgling noise either which was a concern.

What would happen that would create a big problem with flooding? I always make sure the sump below is filled when the overflow box has drained so as to prevent a flood. I'm curious because I certainly wouldn't want to overlook something that would create a mess.

a volar
07-28-2013, 04:36 PM
I have one and haven't had any problems with it. Not being a "DIYer" I opted for the Eshopps for convenience. I don't have any problems with gurgling noise either which was a concern.

What would happen that would create a big problem with flooding? I always make sure the sump below is filled when the overflow box has drained so as to prevent a flood. I'm curious because I certainly wouldn't want to overlook something that would create a mess.

The problem will be if for any reason the siphon in the overflow box breaks, so no water drains to sump and the pump in sump keeps sending water to the tank over filling it........ It may never happen with your but I know it has happened to people before.

pauline
07-28-2013, 04:56 PM
There is a hole in the return hose just barely beneath the tank water level. It is supposed to be able to break the siphon if the water level falls below it and it will prevent flooding.

Does that make sense?

DerekFF
07-28-2013, 05:02 PM
The eshopps with the U-tube or the one that requires the aqua lifter? Both work fine in my experience. Something significantly disastrous would have to happen to break the siphon on the U-tube style. On the aqua lifter style if the aqua lifter stops working your overflowing your tank for sure. I use and prefer the U-tube for HOB overflows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a volar
07-28-2013, 05:06 PM
There is a hole in the return hose just barely beneath the tank water level. It is supposed to be able to break the siphon if the water level falls below it and it will prevent flooding.

Does that make sense?

No, not in the return hose, when I refer to siphon brake I mean in the overflow box, water not going from tank to sump and water going from sump to tank, then over filling the tank :)

dbrodeur
07-28-2013, 07:54 PM
Thank you all for your reply. Having some problems with the post. This is my 3rd times trying to response.

a volar: I'm just a beginner, got into the hobby about 7 mos ago. Ordered my first discus 4-45" (6 ea.) from Kenny in Apr. They are currently in the grow out tank. Drilling holes in my tank is definitely out of my skill level. Besides, the AGA 300g tank is on the stand inside the house. Also, I don't think I'll be able to round up the muscles again.

kevin.whisler: I've watched numerous DIY overflow box videos, but the one I like the most is from beananimal. His improved Calfo overflow box is claimed to be 100% fail safe. Unfortunately, his design also required some drilling.

pauline: Sounded like you are happy with the product. How long have you been running the overflow box? I'm glad to know that there is no gurgling noise. That is also one of my concerns. Do you have any problems with keeping the u-tubes in place and sustaining water level in the overflow box? If your reply are positives, I'll definitely would like to give it a shot.

DerekFF. Thank you for your wisdom. I'm going to order one from drsfostsmith, unless you know a cheaper place.

joanstone
07-28-2013, 10:14 PM
I have used overflow boxes many times with tanks that weren't drilled. I never had a problem with one not restarting. I think drilling a tank is a better option, but they're ok. You need to make sure you have your flow right. I have 3 used ones of different sizes if you're interested, they are U tube styles.

dbrodeur
07-29-2013, 05:43 AM
Joan, I'm interested. How do I get in touch with you? Can I PM you?

joanstone
07-29-2013, 12:06 PM
I PM'd you this morning, wasn't sure if you would know to look for it.

Falcon 900
07-29-2013, 07:08 PM
I just made the switch to a sump filter for my 75 gallon and am using an Eshopps PF1000 overflow box. I couldn't be more happy. I chose the overflow box over drilling the tank due to the fact that the tank was already up and running. If I was starting from scratch I would probably have had the tank drilled.

Being that the Eshopps uses the U-tube system for moving the water from the tank to the overflow box, the chances of the siphon to the overflow box being broken is GREATLY reduced. The Eshopps is basically a copy of the overflow box designed by Lifereef (another good option).

Whatever you do, do not buy a CPR overflow box. The CPR requires an aqua lifter pump to restart the siphon if the pump in the sump is stopped and then restarted. You're guaranteed to end up with a flood sooner or later.

One problem with an overflow box is the noise! My tank is in the basement under the master bedroom. The running water sound coming from the overflow box was so loud it would wake me up at night. I just made a couple of Stockman Standpipe silencers for it this weekend and now it's quiet as can be.

Take some time and Google Eshopps overflow box and look through the reefer forums. There is a ton of information on how to set up and tune the Eshopps to get them to work perfectly and keep them quiet.

If you decide to get the Eshopps, Ken's Fish has some of the best prices.

tbmeck
07-30-2013, 11:12 PM
I use a eShopps PF-1000 Dual Overflow on my 120 Discus tank. Works great and I have had no issues at all. Unless something physically removed the U-tubes I don't see how the siphon would break.

BillyTRichVa
08-30-2013, 04:52 PM
I first saw this post not soon after ordering a CPR overflow box for my 125 with a 20 gallon sump. I wasn't happy with the U tube that my original overflow had as it would constantly get air in it between water changes and the sump water would run low.

I contacted the folks at CPR and they eased my concerns. When I got everything setup, I just ran some mock tests of what could happen. Power outages, loss of siphon, return pump mishap etc. I am comfortable knowing that in any of these foreseeable cases, I won't have to worry about a flood.

The one thing criticized here (the lift pump) is the thing I like the best from the CPR system. It's a fairly simple device and inexpensive as well. Performing regular maintenance on it should keep it running without issue. It's also cheap enough to carry a spare if timing doesn't allow you to maintain the pump as necessary.

Just my humble opinion, I just wanted to throw this out there.

Regards,
BillyT

dbrodeur
09-06-2013, 11:04 AM
I just brought Eshopps 1800 and picked up a used one. Not sure what brand but definitely not CPR because no external pump. From the look of it (2 one inch bulkheads), I'm guessing flow rate of about 800-1200 gph. I'm thinking about running both on my display tank. Can't wait to try it out. I'm still waiting for sump tank. Hopefully, I'll get it up and running by end of month.