PDA

View Full Version : Buying discus from LFS versus using Simply Sponsors - Member Experiences

Tazalanche
08-10-2013, 02:57 PM
A comment was made by a new member in another thread about wanting to help out their local LFS. I was originally going to post a response there, but thought it would be more useful as its own thread in the beginner section of the forums so it could possibly become a compilation of our experiences over the years that were not as specific as is required for the Livestock and Product Reviews (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?106-Livestock-and-Product-Reviews) subforum.

PLEASE NOTE:
This is intended as a generic "Pros & Cons" for discus purchases. If you want to mention good or bad experiences with a specific store or sponsor name, please place your review in the above mentioned forum, or in the appropriate sponsor's subforum.
Thank you.

This is the quote that I was responding to:

I'm currently torn on where to buy from. There are a few stores locally who carry them and can custom order. There are a few others in driving distance. I'm all about helping out the local fish guy, but I'm also looking for the best fish for the best price.I completely understand. As a former small business owner, I'm all about helping the local guy too. Here are a few of my experiences.

THE GOOD LFS:
We have a very good friend that runs the local exotic pet shop. Our friend is very trustworthy & tries to provide the best product for the lowest price she can. Some of the questionable breeders out in the world have been known to include what should have been a cull in their wholesaler/pet shop stock. She knows that and expects to lose about 10% of the pets ordered from her wholesale distributors due to death or her own culling because they were sick &/or deformed. She knows that she cannot compete with the big stores on price consistently, so she tries her best to make up for it in customer service & the quality of her animals that are for sale. Part of her goal in improving the quality of her stock is to get local, high quality breeders of her more popular pets. Because of this, we buy our supplies from her (or a sponsor here) & provide her with our excess plants & fish stock for her store (currently mollies, guppies, endlers, plecs and cories).

We still order stock of many types of fish from her (cardinal tetras, lemon tetras, mollies, plecs, cories, etc.), but to compensate for the quality issues she currently experiences, we usually buy a dozen of the fish we want, grow them out, keep the best 2-4 of the school, resell the rest (plus any fry) through her & repeat the process with the profits until we get some good breeding pairs. She loves it because she builds up a loyal customer base for supplies and ultimately ends up selling bigger & healthier stock than her distributor can provide. All of her tanks are currently on individual filters and heaters. She does plan on having some centralized filtration systems for some of her fish stock in the future, but intends on those only being 2-10 tanks per filter to help reduce power expenses, while keeping some isolation between most of her tanks in case of an outbreak. She's only been doing this for 11 months & already moved to a larger storefront 3 months after opening. She's currently hoping to move to a 4500 sq ft location this winter.

Anyway, because of the quality of the fish she gets from her distributor, plus the expense involved in buying discus for resale, she is not willing to stock discus or salt water animals unless she can be certain she's getting the highest quality & knows they will not have a negative impact on her return policies or customer loyalty.

She's one of the good pet shop owners. Most that I have experienced over the years are just out to turn a quick profit, no matter the quality of the pet or customer loyalty. Most of those are no longer in business.

THE SOMETIMES GOOD LFS I BOUGHT DISCUS FROM:
When we decided to get Discus in October 2012 (my first time with discus, but my wife had some in the 1990s), I came to this forum. I had dealt with a different LFS in a nearby city off & on for years with other fish. I had minimal issues over a few decades. His prices were a bit high on a few items, but I knew that he was a better choice than the big box pet chains. Because of that (& the closest sponsor being a 5+ hour drive each way), I ignored the comments about buying from sponsors because I didn't want the added expense of shipping. I went ahead & purchased at least a dozen 3.5"-4" discus from that LFS over a 2 month period for $40-$65 each.

Of that group of 3.5"-4" LFS discus I started with, only 3 were still alive 6 months later. We went through a bout with ich. We went through a bout with internal parasites. We went through a lot of headaches & grief. Those 3 discus are still alive, but 2 of them are the runts in my tanks & have had more money spent on meds for them than I originally paid for each fish. Will I buy another discus from that LFS? Well... would you?

Amount spent purchasing 12+ LFS discus = $600+ (plus tax)
Amount spent stocking medication to treat LFS discus = $100-200
Results of $700-$800 spent on 12+ LFS discus = 3 discus (1 healthy 5" blue turquoise & 2 stunted 4"-4.5" alenquer)
That doesn't include expenses that all the fish have (food/water/equipment).

SIMPLY MEMBERS:
I have bought some discus from other members here. I wholeheartedly believe that anyone that has been here a while & has decided to thin their stock, sell fry, or get out of the hobby, is not going to post questionable fish without disclaimers on any recent issues. It's still a "buyer beware" situation, but much better than considering buying off classified type "yard sale" websites. I have had a few losses of discus bought from members here at Simply, but those could easily be attributed to missing a step in isolating equipment during multiple quarantines of my sick LFS discus.

THE SPONSORS:
The sponsors are local guys (& gals) too, just not necessarily local to you. They're all small business owners with varying levels of success. As sponsors here, they are held to a higher standard or they might lose their sponsorship status. Check out the What not to buy (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?46982-What-not-to-buy) thread for guidelines on appearance. Sure, you might save a few dollars right now if you buy your discus from that LFS, but does that LFS discus have internal parasites or look as good as the pictures everyone has been posting of the discus they just received from X sponsor?

While we have only been getting discus from sponsors since February 2013, I believe our current count is 10 discus directly from sponsors. Every discus we have received directly from a sponsor is still alive & doing great.

We have only used 2 of the sponsors for discus, but have also used other sponsors for food, cones and supplies. Not one order has been bad. There was one discus order where the box was clearly bounced around more than it needed to have been, but those discus recovered from the trauma of their trip within a couple days and are some of the most beautiful fish we have.

MY CONCLUSION:
While the shipped prices might seem a bit higher than you would pay at a local LFS, take additional expenses into account too. These are not $1-$3 tetras where if you have a complete wipeout of a tank you're out less than $100. Discus are an investment of money AND time, but provide immaculate results in a proper display tank.

Learn from our experiences and mistakes. Save yourself the time, effort & expense by going through the Simply Discus Sponsors (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?42-SimplyDiscus-Sponsors) to ensure the healthiest, highest quality discus possible.

Good luck in your aquatic endeavors.

Trubble
08-10-2013, 03:04 PM
+1

Well written, hun. You have put down what I have been debating posting somewhere, but hadn't gotten around to doing yet.

Fundulopanchax
08-10-2013, 03:14 PM
It really depends upon who the LFS is run by. Going far back, late 1960s, I worked at a LFS in Charleston SC. The fish there were superb since the owner often drove a truck to Florida so he could pick freshwater and saltwater fish directly. We carried a lot of discus. The domestic discus were from Jack Wattley and were personally picked - they were spectacular. We also picked wild discus directly, mostly browns and greens. We kept them well and for several years we had a pair of Wattley powder blue that spawned every 10 days or so whether we removed the fry or not. We also had a pair of wild-caught browns that spawned once a month or so. I believe anyone who purchased discus from us got their money's worth.

Go forward to the 1980s, in Baltimore the old Aquarium Center often had extremely nice discus. I was told they were bred locally, maybe from Gwynnbrook? I purchased a few over the years and never had difficulty with them, they were high quality.

In between Wattley and the Aquarium Center and coming forward to now, the majority of discus at LFS that I see are emaciated and near death. There is a LFS that I visit once in a while that has nice plants and many nice fish. However, the discus they carry are so sad that I always leave feeling that I should never go back. They are always emaciated and the water is too cold (central system at around 76 F). I doubt that anyone purchasing a discus at this place has ever kept it alive for more than a few weeks.

Moral of the story is that unless you are expert with discus don't purchase from a LFS. Of course if you ARE expert with discus then you would not be likely to purchase from a LFS....

Ron

DarinOverholser
08-10-2013, 03:49 PM
Great info! Thanks for your time. I've been keeping a close eye on Central Ohio Discus. I'll probably end up giving him a visit shortly!

Second Hand Pat
08-10-2013, 04:22 PM
Well written David. I have never bought discus from a LFS but I have seen them. They were in a planted tank filled with the black eco-complete substrate with a bunch of rainbows. Tank was in mid 70s (based on feel :)). Each week they looked a bit worst and finally did not see them. Not sure if they were bought or died.

So basically your general LFS does not know what to do with their discus should they have them plus the prices are outrageous for what are generally low quality discus.

Now I have only bought from our sponsors and I have been thrilled with the discus I have received. They acclimate well, are in excellent condition and eat within a reasonable amount of time. Al does his best to vet each sponsor and holds them to a high standard of ethics, honesty and healthy discus.

Discusdude7
08-10-2013, 07:40 PM
Very well written... Good job!!

camuth8
08-10-2013, 10:30 PM
There is an LFS near me that gets their discus from Hans and I've never had any problems with the discus they carry. They take care of them well(wide variety of foods fed and daily w/c), and they are very reliable and helpful. They have many other fish as well as well as one of the largest selections of African cichlids in the US. I'd recommend this store, Wetspot, to anybody in the Pacific Northwest. Great fish and great service!:)

River
08-11-2013, 02:34 PM
The LFS near me actually seem to have a good selection of quality discus, direct from Stendker, but that's probably Germany specific. I get my discus from a private authorized seller of Stendker rather than a store, because I've found his discus to be less skittish and more trusting than fish from my LFS. I imagine the difference is they're less exposed to crowds of people and kids banging on their tanks.

Keith Perkins
08-11-2013, 05:15 PM
One other point I don't think has been mentioned yet, unless I missed it, is selection. The sponsors here generally have a much wider variety of fish available, whether it be type, size, or both. That being said, there are also a lot of members here I wouldn't hesitate to buy from.

strawberryblonde
08-11-2013, 06:09 PM
One other point I don't think has been mentioned yet, unless I missed it, is selection. The sponsors here generally have a much wider variety of fish available, whether it be type, size, or both. That being said, there are also a lot of members here I wouldn't hesitate to buy from.
+1

I was fortunate enough to have a great experience with a LFS back in the late 80's. Didn't know what a discus fish was! I was just getting into the fishkeeping hobby and had set up a "HUGE" 50 gallon show tank (uh huh, it had a mirrored back and was extra tall and all fancy looking - I was SO proud of my purchase!)

I decided I wanted a community tank and, being me, I started reading up on which fish could coexist peacefully, and which were "bottom" fish, "middle" fish", cave dwellers, etc.

So off I went to the store to finish stocking my tank. It was a 2 hour drive to find a local store rather than a chain pet store. Got there and saw some awesome gourami's, spectacular hatchet fish and, in this one tank there were 6 pretty angels and 1 disc shaped fish who was about the size of a quarter. He was mostly gray in color, but with hints of pale blue on his face and a bit on his fins.

I asked what he was and was told "Ummm, he's a discus fish". Asked more questions and was told that he'd be great for a community tank, was very peaceful, and that he "thought" it was a blue faced heckel but wasn't sure because he'd only taken it as a favor to a guy who was deploying and needed to empty his tanks. He said he'd already sold all the other "babies" as well as the parents.

The price was outrageous! I had to pay $9.00 for this little guy, but I liked him, so I brought him home along with 3 angels.

Turned out to be a fantastic purchase and he reached about 6" in the first 2 years I had him. Poor guy hung with the angels and was besties with a dwarf gourami. LOL

So, fast forward to 2 years ago when I decided to get back into the hobby. I knew I wanted discus for my tank because I just loved that guy. I started out by visiting the only 2 LFS's near me. One sold "Hans Discus" and the other told me no WAY he'd ever try to sell discus since they required too much special attention and separate water systems from the rest of his stock.

Guy #1 with the Hans fish had 4 tanks full...all on the same system as the rest of his fish. The fish seemed over crowded and didn't look nearly as round as my first discus. They were larger, but had HUGE eyes and many had frayed fins and looked skinny. I asked him about the condition and he told me they were all perfectly healthy and would "perk up" once I got them home. The prices about knocked me off my feet. He wanted $70 for the smallest ones, and they were about 3 inches.

I told him I'd need to think about it and went home to search the internet for other possible sources of discus.

And that led me here. I ended up purchasing TRUE Stendkers from Hans and I've never looked back. Yes, there's the cost of shipping to Idaho to consider, but there's also the high quality, the large selection of strains, the health of the fish and the fact that Hans doesn't charge $70 for a stunted half dead 3" discus!

My only advice when purchasing from sponsors or from members of this forum is to please do your homework. Get opinions, ask questions and make smart choices when you buy, because it's an investment in time and money and when you're spending several hundred dollars on fish you don't want to end up with nothing to show for it.

camuth8
08-12-2013, 11:18 AM
My only advice when purchasing from sponsors or from members of this forum is to please do your homework. Get opinions, ask questions and make smart choices when you buy, because it's an investment in time and money and when you're spending several hundred dollars on fish you don't want to end up with nothing to show for it.

+1

Tazalanche
09-18-2013, 01:57 PM
Anyone else have experiences they would like to share?

Tazalanche
10-22-2013, 07:33 AM
Update to the original post:
In September, we ended up losing the last three of the "Sometimes Good LFS" discus, plus 5 others that were purchased from Simply members or Sponsors. We had a thread about trying to save one of the proven females. Her mate, who appeared perfectly healthy & had already regained his status as alpha in the community discus tank, was found dead 3 days after being reintroduced back into the community tank.

Since then we've also had some discussions with "The Good LFS" on the local water quality. Apparently, the same week that our discus started getting sick in September, she lost about half of the fish in the tanks that had a water change that Sunday (she usually does water changes on 1 of 5 rows per day). She felt it was some kind of a bacterial infection, but couldn't pinpoint a certain type. Looking back, I recall that she had a few tanks marked as "not for sale", but assumed that she was just doing a QT on new stock.

Anyway, we're now at about a year of owning discus & here are our totals (sizes are when purchased):
We have lost all 12+ discus that were bought from "The Sometimes Good LFS" at 3.5"-5" in October-December 2012.
We have lost 7 discus that were bought from Simply members at 4.5"-6.5" in March-August 2013.
We have lost 1 discus that was bought from a Simply Sponsor at 4.5" in Spring 2013.
We currently have 20 discus that were bought from Simply members or Simply Sponsors at 4.5"-6" since January 2013.

Current Conclusion:
Looking at the numbers from the past year, if I had to do it all over again, the $700-$800 in discus purchases from "The Sometimes Good LFS" would not have happened. I'm positive that some of the losses can be attributed to our lack of experience. However, over half of our remaining discus are from Simply Sponsors & were cared for in the same way as the others since arriving here. Either way, we are currently "in a holding pattern" on buying discus until we can be 100% positive whatever was happening last month is totally eradicated... plus buying a high quality water filtration system for our home & a separate RO system. Once the weather warms back up in the Spring, we'll see where we stand.

Second Hand Pat
10-22-2013, 08:12 AM
David, until your house is built you might consider running your source water through a HMA filter. With all the rains this summer my well water has lots of sediment and some of my fish were "funky". Since installing the HMA filter my fish have been much happier.
Pat

Tazalanche
10-22-2013, 01:49 PM
Thank you for the suggestion Pat. I was originally thinking about at least sediment & carbon, but had not thought about HMA. We are at the very end of the water line for our road, so sediment is always an issue.

I've bookmarked your Summer of Unhappy Fishes (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?108714-Summer-of-Unhappy-Fishes) thread to use as a reference when I get ready to order everything over the next 2 weeks.

I think my biggest decision at this time is whether to "do enough to get by" or "go all out" & move the filtration to the new house.

OC Discus
10-22-2013, 04:06 PM
My LFS has quality fish, but they do not stock the variety. They just order 4 assorted discus weekly. Its the luck of the draw as to what they will have. I would like to support them, but they just don't have the fish.

I've received two orders shipped via fedex next day before ten am and all were healthy on arrival and lived. Due to quarantine and disease issues, ordering from a single source and growing them together almost requires ordering from a large breeder/supplier.

Ordering from LFS adds a middle man increasing the cost and chances of health issues with the fish.