PDA

View Full Version : Any Tips?

Phillydubs
08-12-2013, 01:50 PM
I received my first order of Al's worms this weekend and it was very fast and easy to deal with him and the order arrived very quickly. I just sent Al a note via the company contact us page, but I figured I could also post it here in hopes of some feedback from others on the board who use his product...

Al,

Good afternoon, thank you for the quick and easy shipment of my order! I returned home yesterday from a long weekend and there my package was ready to go...

My African cichlid's are destroying them, as they do anything that hits the water, so no issue there... However, my discus did not seem to touch. I was excited because everyone always talks about "sticking them to the glass" and their discus go to town on them. Mine do not like to eat from the surface so I thought they would go for them on the glass.

So my questions is, any advice or recommendations as to get these guys used to and eating them?

Thanks again,

Phil

Ryan
08-12-2013, 01:56 PM
Phil,

As with any new food it sometimes takes a while. I'm guessing you ordered the cubes? If so, just press the cube into the glass a little until it adheres and then let the fish discover them on their own.

Sometimes the cubes get waterlogged and come unstuck from the glass, but my fish will gladly eat them from the surface, too. I think once they figure out what they are you won't have an issue with that.

I got some adult fish from Kenny a few weeks ago and they were perplexed when I first put a few cubes of worms in, but now they impatiently wait for me to move my hand out of the way so they can tear into the cubes.

Here's a video of my discus from Mike, a week or so after receiving them, eating the worms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfgf0XAEuss

Trubble
08-12-2013, 03:12 PM
Phil,

As with any new food it sometimes takes a while. I'm guessing you ordered the cubes? If so, just press the cube into the glass a little until it adheres and then let the fish discover them on their own.

Sometimes the cubes get waterlogged and come unstuck from the glass, but my fish will gladly eat them from the surface, too. I think once they figure out what they are you won't have an issue with that.

I got some adult fish from Kenny a few weeks ago and they were perplexed when I first put a few cubes of worms in, but now they impatiently wait for me to move my hand out of the way so they can tear into the cubes.

+1

All our discus looked askance at the cubes when i first offered them. It didn't take but maybe a week or so for them to figure out "Hey, these are really good." Just give your guys time and they will get the hang of FDBW. Maybe offer the worms when you get home from work or at a time when they have had to go for a longer period of time between meals. They'll be more willing to investigate them then.

Good luck.

Phillydubs
08-12-2013, 04:18 PM
Hey guys, thank you so very much for the feedback and advice. Al himself actually gave me a call a few minutes ago and we chatted for a bit about the feeding. I was blown away that Al gave me a ring, I mean wow, what better customer service could there be than that???

I have always heard of Kenny and/or Hans calling buyers after a purchase and I can see that wen someone is dropping hundreds of dollars on fish. But I purchased 30 bucks worth of freeze dried worms... lol... I was totally not expecting that and I think it is awesome and goes to show the level of customer satisfaction and care Al puts in to not only his business but this great board.

I will be ordering from Al for as long as I have fish and he keeps selling, which in both cases I hope isa very very long time!

Philldubs

JERRYKEVIN
08-12-2013, 04:21 PM
I feed mine FDB by hand and they go nuts for them. I can not get cubes to stick on my Acrylic tank.

Boyd Luth
08-12-2013, 11:28 PM
I ordered from Al about a Month ago, and sometimes I will soak a cube in a spoon, after cutting it in half, with liquid Garlic/ and or liquid Vitamin, then press, or just drop the cube into the tank, they love it !!!
:D

Mgardner
08-14-2013, 07:47 PM
Mine hear the ziplock opening and assume the position!

Second Hand Pat
08-14-2013, 08:35 PM
Mine just assume the position all the time. You would think I never feed them lol.

DiscusBR
08-14-2013, 08:50 PM
I feed mine FDB by hand and they go nuts for them.

+1

See the video:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6CSjHrxebLw