PDA

View Full Version : Hi everyone looking for advice.

somethingsmellsfishy
08-13-2013, 04:19 AM
Hi there,

Im sorry if this is in the wrong section (first time poster haha)

For a long time now I have been admiring the discus and their beauty and had always wanted a discus tank. Before now i have been to scared to try it because as I understood they were a very fragile fish and hard to keep. Recently though i have looked into it a lot more and decided to start my own!

I have had many tanks over the past years including african cichlids, gourami, community and so on so I have a fair idea of what I am doing.

My aim is to have a thriving low tech planted tank. The tank i will be using is a 250ltr 140cmX90cmX90cm.

I just have a few questions before i get started.

I am thinking 5 discus, 10 cardinal tetras, 10 rummynose tetras, 2 corydoras, bristlenose, 2 clown loaches, but i feel this may be overstocked?

Also, with the water changes everywhere i read says to do them daily or every other day. I am hoping to only do them 2-3 times a week is this suffice?

As far as feeding goes do they really need to be fed 5 times a day?!?! This seems astonishing after my africans that get fed once a day haha.

I'm sure I will have many more questions but this is the major things I want to know before finally decided to go ahead with it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :).

River
08-13-2013, 06:11 AM
A few comments:

1. Typically corydoras are kept in larger groups. I'd definitely recommend having more than 2.

2. Are you thinking about adult discus or younger discus? The amount of feeding and water changes really depends on the size of discus. If you have juveniles you will need to feed them quite often, fully grown adults less often. For example, we feed our 10 juveniles every 2 hours or so. Water changes are essential for the growth of young fish as well as important to keep the tank clean and the water quality good. You'll find out quite quickly that discus food and poop will foul up your tank if you don't clean it out frequently. This is especially true if you're considering a planted community tank.

Tazalanche
08-13-2013, 06:20 AM
First off, welcome to Simply! :wave:

The tank i will be using is a 250ltr 140cmX90cmX90cm.Please double check your measurements. I'm coming up with over 1100 liters from those dimensions.

somethingsmellsfishy
08-13-2013, 06:44 AM
I did not know that about corydoras! Thats interesting, maybe i would get 4-5 then. I would be getting discus around the size of 7-10cm? Im not exactly sure, my LFS (which i have been going to for years and I am very good mates with the owner) was closed today but I will be popping in tomorrow so i can find out.

Every 2 hours is pretty much impossible for me as I have work and other commitments. Most I can do is before work, after work, evening feed, and just before bed?

As for water changes i can up the amount, I was just interested if it was necessary.

Well this is embarrassing. I cant for the life of me figure out where i got 90 from. Its 140x45x40 lol! Very sorry for that.

Ps. Thanks for the quick replies I am keen to get this going ASAP!!

Crunchy
08-13-2013, 10:38 AM
Why do you want the loaches? It can grow very big, and if you take out the loaches you can have 5-6 disvus with the other tank mates without overstocking.

M not a loach expert, but my impression is that they prefer to be in 5 or more as well like the cories.

camuth8
08-13-2013, 11:12 AM
Yeah, take out the loaches. They could get pretty rowdy around your discus and they could get stressed. Without the loaches, your tank is great and not overstocked. I would say not to get any discus from LFS, but because you're in Australia, that would be hard to get discus from Simply Discus sponsors.
Some people feed only 3 times a day while others feed 5 or even 6 times a day. You don't have to feed 5 times a day, but you should do a minimum of every 2 days w/c.

Welcome to Simply as well!:cheesy:

somethingsmellsfishy
08-14-2013, 07:23 AM
I only want the loaches because (as well as discus) they are one of my favourite fish. I have seen them with discus a few times so I thought they were ok together? Also my girlfriend has 2 large ones in her tank and they seem to be very happy. Anyway I will rethink the loaches as I would rather have fantastic discus! Thank you very much for your help. The tank will be starting this weekend. I can't wait!

troysdiiscus
08-14-2013, 09:55 AM
I agree I would re-think loaches. I have three cory's and a couple of blue rams in a low tech and thats it. I dont like dither fish, I would rather have my attention on my discus. Thats my opinion and its your fish, set it up like you want and the fun part is doing that. Good luck and enjoy......:thumbsup:

vendetta
08-14-2013, 02:29 PM
There are a lot of opinions about put discus and loaches together...

In my case they are excellent tank mates for discus; I have three loaches in a 220L aquarium and I have had never any problem with them. Actually I think loaches are very shy fishes, and most part of the time are hidden in the driftwood and plants.

It's correct.. loaches grow a lot, but very slow.. I had my loaches, maybe for 8 months and the difference is minor.. and the best part of all.. (and the reason why I have loaches).. snails ;)

somethingsmellsfishy
08-15-2013, 10:01 AM
Thanks for all your advice means alot :). Putting the plants and driftwood in this weekend, then next weekend or the one after I Will start adding fish (depending on parameters of course!) and will make my final decision.

Thanks again everyone! Im sure you will hear from me in the very near future!