PDA

View Full Version : albino discus question

azmtns
08-13-2013, 04:33 AM
Quick question, do albino discus have a hard time competing for food because of visual problems? The reason I ask is because I have had these problems with livebearers and was wondering if discus were the same. I see people posting pictures with both albino and regular discus together, so I'm guessing they do not have this problem? Just curious.

Crunchy
08-13-2013, 10:40 AM
I heard about this, I'm about to get an albino as well, and would like to know other's experiences.

jaykne
08-13-2013, 12:19 PM
I have keep albino's and non albino's togather with no problem. I even raised a batch of fry from a pair that produced 25% albino's and still had no problem.

ExReefer
08-13-2013, 04:02 PM
If you allow them to graze off the bottom, then they will feed well. If you like to feed floating or suspended foods, I find them to struggle. They will miss the food sometimes.

blueluv
08-13-2013, 10:03 PM
This question has been asked before, I just can remember the title of the thread. I do believe that some albino discus do develop an eye sight problem. Probably not all albino strains have that defect, i guess it depends on the genetics of the parent discus and if they had the same issue. I had a snow white, that had a similar issue, even when food would fall to bottom of tank... it would struggle a little to eat it of the bottom.

trungnguyen
10-12-2013, 01:05 PM
I think all albino strains have eye sight problems, thats why we mix albino and non albino to improve their eye sights. However, albino could not get 100% eye sight like non albino. This is what I have known so far and keep learning that...)
I have been raising some albino frys, and they truly have eye sight problems. I tried to feed them on top of the water, in the middle, and even the bottom, they still miss sometime while catching the food. Now the only thing I can do for them is keep feeding them a lot of food at the time, so they have more chance to fill their stomachs. When they are full, I just suck all the left over food out. It will take more time and works than the non albino strains, but one day you will find the answer to yourself why people like albino discus more than non albino ones.