PDA

View Full Version : New discus

oplus
08-16-2013, 11:20 AM
Hi guys

Im new to discus i would like to seek your advice why would my new discus wont eat‚ he is very active but when i put food he doesnt pay attention to it.

Set up
30 gallons
2 pigeon bloods- 1 and half inch
1 red map - 1 and half inch
1 red melon- new got two days ago biggest at 3 inch
Breeder said eats beefheart like prior fish i got from him‚ he is not skittish when im near the tank.

Water parameters are okay
I aged my water
Temp 32 degree's - i think this is around 89 celcius if im not mistaken
Tank has driftwood and sand im currently taking that out little by little during wc
Water change everyday 40% using aged tap water using anti chlorine

camuth8
08-16-2013, 11:45 AM
First I'd like to identify your problems. 30 gallons isn't recommended for growing out discus. You'd like to get a bigger tank, 55 for growing out, or 75 to save not getting a tank once you're discus get too big. I do also notice that you're not able to get any discus from any sponsors here on Simply. 32 degrees may be a bit warm for discus, too. Once you reach 10 posts, you can post pictures of your discus and we can see the quality of the discus.

Welcome to Simply!:wave:

Crunchy
08-16-2013, 05:07 PM
New discus will take a few days to adjust. If they dont start eating by 3-4 days, there may be a problem.

8ftbed
08-16-2013, 06:09 PM
32 celsius = 89+ Fahrenheit

Where at in the PI? Are you running a heater or is that just ambient temp? Although it's rainy season there now and a little cooler. If you have a heater in the tank, I'd lower that temp.

Although you state using aged tap and dechlor. Manila on city water? Ha! My six years in Olongapo was off a water tower on the roof and I don't know how that was filled. I never had heated water though.
As already stated, give it a couple of days. The majority of mine have always been ready eat soon after getting in the new tank. But I have a few 2 inchers which were going to be culled, that just never want to eat much.

While 30g is not recommended around here... you can do it if you're willing and able to do the daily water changes. I'm growing 6 out in a 30g tank and just added two others from another tank. They're doing fine and growing. Just keep up with the filters and wc's. My 30, 40 and 20 are all bare bottom with no decorations other than sponges and/or K1 media bottles. They'll all end up in a couple of big tanks when they quit growing or slow down.

oplus
08-16-2013, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the welcome and the quick reply

8ftbed im from pampanga 2hours drive from manila/olongapo. Using deep well water.

Camuth8 il try lowering to 30 degrees

Crunchy il wait till monday if it wont eat il qt it in my 5 gallon tank. For qt procedure how do i proceed?

Thanks