PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with discus laying eggs

kevin.whisler
08-17-2013, 04:42 PM
Hi members,

This is my first posted question, so please be kind if it is stupid or repetitive. I am new to discus and to this forum. I am currently growing out my first batch of discus. The fish came from Hans at about 2.5", about eight months ago. They are now about 5" long. My two largest and most robust fish are a pair of brilliant turqs who seem to have developed a strong desire to reproduce. They are laying a clutch of eggs about every 2-3 weeks. The first time, I watched the female lay the eggs on the tank wall. Since then, they seem to have developed an affinity for the intake tube of my HOB filter. Once the eggs are deposited, they both go into hover/protect mode and guard them. At this point I have no desire to raise fry, so I just let it run its course. Over the next week or so the eggs gradually go away. I don't know if the other fish eat them or if they die and fall off the tube. I also noticed that when the pair is in "hover" mode, their color is noticeable dark, and they stay off to themselves with the eggs. Once the eggs are gone, their color goes back to normal and they rejoin the rest of the group.

I am just wondering if this is typical behavior. I kind of assume that fish laying eggs is a sign that they are healthy and content. Does that make sense? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Kevin

Keith Perkins
08-17-2013, 04:52 PM
You're pretty much spot on, and there are a lot of possible explanation for the eggs disappearing. If the eggs aren't viable the parents usually eat them. You could have two females, an immature male, or just an uncooperative one. Have you seen if the second fish is making passes? Viable eggs should produce wigglers in about 48 hours, they look like eggs with a dot in the center (eyeballs) with a tiny little thread protruding from them. About another 48 hours and they go free swimming. And yes, the parents darken up to attract the fry for attachment at free swimming, so the fish darkening and lightening is perfectly normal for the situation.

White Worm
08-18-2013, 01:01 AM
Sounds pretty normal for breeding behavior.

kevin.whisler
08-18-2013, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the replies. I have not seen either fish making passes on the eggs. I have seen that the turqs are eating the eggs after a few days. Two females perhaps?