PDA

View Full Version : help in omaha ne

hskrborn71
08-19-2013, 11:48 AM
So I was wondering how to drop the pH in my tap water. The reports show that the pH from the tap is between 8-9. I have a 180 gallon tank with a 40 gallon sump filter. Lighting is 3 150 watt metal halides which equates to 2.5 watts per gallon. I plan on a planted tank with co2 injection. I really at this point not wanting to bred I just know this is to high. I also don't want to use RO water. Cause I have been transporting water for years now and I'm tired of doing it lol. Any suggestions would be great.

William Palumbo
08-19-2013, 11:52 AM
Discus can be raised in surprisingly hard-high ph water. Since you have no plans on breeding, I see no problem with your high ph...Bill

hskrborn71
08-19-2013, 12:04 PM
Should I look for a local breeder or someone that keeps their discus at the same pH? I know that the places I thought about buying from all have theirs at 5.5 to 6.5. I know that its mostly so they can breed but I am worried if I buy from these places the fish will stress out and possibly die from the large difference.

William Palumbo
08-19-2013, 12:15 PM
If you can find healthy stock locally from a hobbyist/breeder, I would recommend that. If not, there are sponsors on here selling quality fish...most of which have a higher than neutral ph. Going low to high ph is not a problem...Bill

hskrborn71
08-19-2013, 12:30 PM
OK I will see if I can find a local breeder. Thanks for the advice. I do plan on trying to drop it a bit with peat moss and it being a planted tank.

William Palumbo
08-19-2013, 12:33 PM
That's fine, but the main thing is to keep the water, no matter the ph...STABLE...Bill