PDA

View Full Version : New Tank Cleaning

Nu2Discus
08-19-2013, 01:21 PM
I bought a new tank to use as a quarantine tank. It's been sitting in the garage while I've been getting things ready to set it up. I've also been building a stand and canopy for it. The stand is done, and canopy is going to be painted today, and my tap water filter will be here this week.

I've noticed that the tank is now kind of dusty from my build outs. Since this is a new tank, but now is dusty for sitting in the garage, how would you go about cleaning it before use. Do you think just a rinse with water is enough? Or should I sterilize it with something before using it. I was also thinking that I'll be doing a fishless cycle, will the ammonia be enough as well?

Thanks for your advice,

troysdiiscus
08-19-2013, 01:30 PM
yeah just a good rinse you will be fine. If to make your mind at ease you can wash with a part bleach solution and rinse with water with a dechlor (prime, safe etc.)
Are you setting up a completely new tank? No older filters to use? If not and you have the time then fishless is fine...

Boyd Luth
08-19-2013, 02:06 PM
I have learned the hard way !!! Always, always bleach 19:1 mixture in a spray bottle ( ex: 1 shot glass of bleach to 19 shot glasses of H2O ) spray down real well, then let stand ( if you like ) 24 hours, rinse out real good, using nothing but tap water. fill after you treat with dechlorinate , you are ready to go.

BODYDUB
08-19-2013, 03:17 PM
I've always giving my old tank a bleach/water rinse out after they havent been used in a while. Just make sure to rinse the heck out of it. If you think you're done rinsing, rinse one more time to be sure...........

afriend
08-19-2013, 09:50 PM
I bought a new tank to use as a quarantine tank. It's been sitting in the garage while I've been getting things ready to set it up. I've also been building a stand and canopy for it. The stand is done, and canopy is going to be painted today, and my tap water filter will be here this week.

I've noticed that the tank is now kind of dusty from my build outs. Since this is a new tank, but now is dusty for sitting in the garage, how would you go about cleaning it before use. Do you think just a rinse with water is enough? Or should I sterilize it with something before using it. I was also thinking that I'll be doing a fishless cycle, will the ammonia be enough as well?

Thanks for your advice,

If you are going to use ammonia, be sure to get the kind that does not have phosphates. The label should tell you if it does. To make sure that it does not, shake it and watch how soon the bubbles disappear. The bubbles will disappear in less than 5 seconds if it does NOT have phosphates. One place to get the right kind is at True Value Hardware. When you dose the tank, measure the level of ammonia. I would not recommend more than 1 ppm. With the use of SeaChem's Stability, I've been able to cycle a tank in less than two weeks. Put in a few flakes of fish food in with the ammonia. Hope this helps.

Paul

strawberryblonde
08-19-2013, 10:39 PM
I have learned the hard way !!! Always, always bleach 19:1 mixture in a spray bottle ( ex: 1 shot glass of bleach to 19 shot glasses of H2O ) spray down real well, then let stand ( if you like ) 24 hours, rinse out real good, using nothing but tap water. fill after you treat with dechlorinate , you are ready to go.

+1

This is my tried and true standard for ALL tanks, whether new or being repurposed.

blueluv
08-19-2013, 10:57 PM
Why not try a 50/50 mixture of bleach and water?

strawberryblonde
08-20-2013, 12:06 AM
You can use more bleach, but it's overkill and I'm cheap. LOL

So long as you spray the 19:1 mixture onto all surfaces and let it sit, it will do the job just as effectively as a stronger mixture. Even kills snails and limpets!

Nu2Discus
08-21-2013, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the responses. I decided to play it safe, and bleach the tank. I made up a solution and sprayed the tank down, then wiped it to make sure I got decent coverage. I then sprayed the tank down again, and am letting it air dry. I'll rinse it out tomorrow.

Nu2Discus
08-26-2013, 07:22 PM
I rinsed the tank out multiple times, and then let it dry out. I filled it with filtered tap water, and then tested to see if there was any chlorine left over. I tested the water coming out of my filter, as well as the water from the tank. Both tested negative, which I was glad since I then was going to add ammonia for my fishless cycle.

I let the tank go overnight with just plain water and some safe. then the following day I added ammonia and got a final level of 4 ppm, and called it close enough. Today is day 2, so I'm looked forward to getting this tank cycled and ready. Thanks for all the help everyone.

MKD
08-26-2013, 07:42 PM
Don't know how long it is sitting in your garage. IF it's glass tank, I would make sure silicone still good before fill it up.

Nu2Discus
08-26-2013, 08:41 PM
Oh the tank is brand new, and it was in the garage about 2 weeks or so.