PDA

View Full Version : Just wanted to introduce myself!

judijetson
08-22-2013, 06:02 PM
This questionnaire may be used to either help you to describe your new tank setup for discus or
be a “food for thought” checklist while you consider what your goals are with your new discus tank setup.

1) Please Introduce your self and tell us what your experience is with fishkeeping, give us as much information as possible as to how long in the hobby, what you have kept in the past and what you currently are working with.

Hi I'm Judi and am beginning my journey into keeping Discus. We've always had aquariums growing up, it was one of my fathers passions and recently (more than 1 year ago) I started my own 45 gallon FW tank. Currently in my 45 gallon I have Long Fin Serpae Tetras, Bloodfin Tetras, Peppered Corys, Oto's and a Bolivian Ram. In my 135 gallon I have Rummy Nose & Cardinal Tetras, Adolfoi Corys & Sp Black Corys.

2) If you have no previous experience with keeping discus, have you done any research to properly prepare yourself, e.g. have you read any Stickies in this section of SimplyDiscus, or other material?

I have been lurking here for months, have read all the beginner stickys & more and also belong to another forum The AC, where I also have been reading and researching.

3) Describe your tank, its size and dimensions, breeding or display. Include how long it has been setup or if it is still being cycled.

135 gallon, 72L x 25H x 18W. The tank was cycled in July and has had fish since 07/23.

4) Describe the décor for the tank; type of substrate or bare bottom (BB), whether the tank will be planted or a biotope.

The tank has a thin layer of sand approx 1" deep is only planted with 4 Crypts and 1 Amazon Sword. I do have approximately (combined) 15 java ferns, anubias & bolbitis attached to manzanita branches.

5) Describe your water changes planned or practiced, percentage and how often. Include if you age your water and use of tap/RO or mix.

Currently I am only changing the water 50+% once a week and siphoning any visible debris between changes. I plan to change 50+% a minimum of 3 times per week once I have the Discus.. I currently age my water in white, fda approved 55 gallon containers (heated & aerated).

6) Describe the type of filtration planned/used for the tank; sponge, HOB and/or sump. Also include the other equipment you are, or will be, using in your tank, e.g. heater, lighting, etc.

The 135 gallon has a 40 gallon sump with tons of Pond Matrix bio media, filter floss, Chemi Pure Elite and a refugium with Miracle Mudd2 and tons of WaterSprite and two Fluval E300 heaters currently set at 83 degrees. To be increased to 84 once I have Discus.

7) If the tank is already setup and running, include the water parameters;

- temp - 83 degrees. Will be bumped to 84

- tank ph - 7.2

- Ph of the water straight out of your tap - 7.2

- ammonia reading - 0

- nitrite reading - 0

- nitrate reading - <20 ppm. I realize 10 ppm is the goal at all times and doing more frequent water changes will lower this number.

- well water - no

- municipal water - yes

kh - 2 / gh - 7

8) Describe your current or planned stocking levels; number/size of discus and number/type of dither fish. Where did you get your discus from or do you have a proposed source for getting your discus?

8 Discus at 4" in size. I have 20 Rummynose and 30 Cardinal Tetras. I plan on ordering from Kennys Discus.

9) Describe your planned or existing feeding regimen. Include what and how often you are feeding on a daily basis.

Al's Bloodworms & NLS Discus Pellets. Also currently researching making my own food from some of the threads here. Planning on feeding 3X per day

10) What are your goals in this hobby? For example are you looking to keep discus in a planted community tank, or do you hope to become a hobby breeder of Discus? Do you want to raise Discus with the hopes of competing in shows?

Lightly planted community tank, I've been able to breed Otocinclus, of course they did this on their own I just got lucky :D. I don't plan on becoming a professional breeder and I do not have any plans at this time to compete in shows. I want to give my Discus a wonderful, safe environment where they can thrive and I can enjoy their beauty.

Baygon
08-22-2013, 07:28 PM
Hello welcome! Got any pics to show us your nice tank?

camuth8
08-22-2013, 08:19 PM
Would want a few more water changes to keep 4" discus. Welcome to Simply!:)

discuspaul
08-22-2013, 08:40 PM
Welcome to SD, Judi !
You'll learn a lot here, but I know you're already pretty well informed on AC, where as you know I'm also a member.
You're certainly on the right track, and your set-up seems just fine, except that for starters you might consider kicking up your wcs a notch, to say 2 or 3 X a week, as was suggested by camuth.
In any event, all the best of luck to you, and you know where to turn if you need any help at any time.

blueluv
08-22-2013, 09:20 PM
Welcome to Simply Discus :wave:

zimmjeff
08-22-2013, 09:27 PM
83 is fine just keep up the water changes. Welcome Jeff

musicmarn1
08-22-2013, 11:45 PM
Welcome :balloon:

Second Hand Pat
08-22-2013, 11:56 PM
Hi Judi, welcome to Simply and sounds like you are ready to rock and roll.
Pat

Boyd Luth
08-23-2013, 12:34 AM
Hi Judi, Welcome to Simply, keep up the good work/planning/Dreaming:angel:

judijetson
08-23-2013, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the welcome everyone! Yes, there will be at least 3 wcs per week with the Discus, just taking it easy right now with the only the Tetras & Corys in the tank :D. I've attached a picture, the only thing that has changed currently is the potted sword..I removed the pot and planted it instead.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/23/ry7u8abe.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S3

judijetson
08-23-2013, 10:22 AM
This is odd, I replied and inserted a photo it displayed but then disappeared....

I am planning on doing 3 large wcs per week once I have the Discus, right now I'm only doing 1 with the Tetras & Corys.

Thanks for the welcome!

Sent from my Galaxy S3

judijetson
08-23-2013, 10:24 AM
Going to attempt photo again

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/23/8u5uvumy.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S3

camuth8
08-23-2013, 10:51 AM
Now there are 2 pics of the same tank!:p Looks good. You're discus will love it!

Second Hand Pat
08-23-2013, 10:52 AM
Hi Judi, I approved your posts with the pictures. When new members post a link of any sort (pic, email, url) the post has to be approved by a moderator. This is an anti-spam protection we use on the forum. Once you have 11 posts your posts will not have to be approved.
Pat

judijetson
08-23-2013, 12:35 PM
Now there are 2 pics of the same tank!:p Looks good. You're discus will love it!

Thanks so much! I can't wait to see them weaving in & out of the branches :)

Sent from my Galaxy S3

judijetson
08-23-2013, 12:37 PM
@ Second Hand Pat, thanks for posting the pics and the info, I'm sure I'll have those posts in no time!

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Baygon
08-23-2013, 01:23 PM
very good looking tank you have there!

judijetson
08-23-2013, 06:02 PM
Thanks Baygon! I'm cycling my qt tank now so hopefully in a few weeks I'll have Discus :D

Sent from my Galaxy S3

White Worm
08-23-2013, 06:29 PM
Welcome to Simply Judie. It's refreshing to see someone who has done their research and understands the basics before getting their discus. You are right on track with your plans for the tank and the sponsor. You can't go wrong with Kenny for your discus needs. What are you using for your plants? Make sure you get a group of at least 6 discus. Of course you can fit more......10 would be a nice round number.

DarinOverholser
08-23-2013, 07:15 PM
Classy tank

DarinOverholser
08-23-2013, 07:16 PM
Classy tank right there!

DarinOverholser
08-23-2013, 07:19 PM
Sorry... Fat fingered that post. Now I need to figure out how to delete my post :)

Moon
08-23-2013, 07:43 PM
Welcome Judi. Your tank looks great. Good luck with the discus.

oplus
08-24-2013, 12:55 AM
Going to attempt photo again

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/23/8u5uvumy.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Nice tank welcome to Sd

judijetson
08-24-2013, 04:51 PM
Welcome to Simply Judie. It's refreshing to see someone who has done their research and understands the basics before getting their discus. You are right on track with your plans for the tank and the sponsor. You can't go wrong with Kenny for your discus needs. What are you using for your plants? Make sure you get a group of at least 6 discus. Of course you can fit more......10 would be a nice round number.

I have an Amazon Sword & 4 Crypts planted then java fern, anubias and bolbitis attached to the manzanita branches. In the refugium of the sump I have about 10-12 Watersprite planted in Miracle Mudd2. I was looking at getting 8 from Kenny but it wouldn't take much arm twisting to up the number to 10 :D.

I've definitely been researching quite a bit so I feel confident that I can do what's needed for my Discus to thrive but even with all the research and support I can't help but be a bit nervous. I still have a lot of reading to do on raising fry (not that I'm trying to be a breeder) but you know how it is, if you're not prepared it will happen!

kompakt
08-24-2013, 05:11 PM
Nice tank Judi!

The one thing i would recommend is that you change your background to a lighter color
like white or a light blue.There is alot of talk that black backgrounds can darken up your discus
color.It can also encourge some discus to pepper.

But that black background does look great too...

White Worm
08-24-2013, 06:42 PM
Black does have an effect on pigeon based fish. Just add some more swords along the back of the tank to cover it more.

Turtlemaxxx
08-24-2013, 11:47 PM
Very nice tank, plenty of open space but covered space too. My 125 has a black background. I think it needs to go as my blues stay very dark. that is going to be a PITA.

Crunchy
08-25-2013, 05:55 AM
Very nice tank!

judijetson
08-25-2013, 09:23 AM
Nice tank Judi!

The one thing i would recommend is that you change your background to a lighter color
like white or a light blue.There is alot of talk that black backgrounds can darken up your discus
color.It can also encourge some discus to pepper.

I originally wanted to go with a light blue background but the overflow covers are black and that would have looked really horrible :( At this point its not going to change, my HB said if we ever move the tank stays with the house lol...it took 6 people to move it.

But that black background does look great too...

Black does have an effect on pigeon based fish. Just add some more swords along the back of the tank to cover it more.

I did read that regarding the pigeon strains so I will make sure to stay away from them even though they are some of my favorites. I have some swords in a big pot in the qt tank so like you advised I can then transplant them to cover more of the back. I was also looking into some of the jungle vals and may give those a shot, I like that fact they could provide some nice shade.

Very nice tank, plenty of open space but covered space too. My 125 has a black background. I think it needs to go as my blues stay very dark. that is going to be a PITA.

Thanks. Ugh, I can't imagine the job changing out a painted background could be...I wish you luck with that :D

Very nice tank!

Thank you!

Tazalanche
08-25-2013, 01:02 PM
Welcome to Simply Judi! :wave:

BODYDUB
08-26-2013, 09:42 PM
Beautiful tank.................

judijetson
09-26-2013, 07:28 PM
Discus delivery day is tomorrow, counting down the minutes... have really enjoyed reading all the threads and have taken many notes on what to expect. Of course I'm as nervous as I am excited and am sure I will be joining in on the conversations once I have something to actually contribute! Until then I am reminding myself to breathe, don't panic enjoy the most beautiful fish I have ever seen...

Sent from my Galaxy S3

discuspaul
09-26-2013, 08:58 PM
And as others have said Judi - your discus are going to love that tank !

musicmarn1
09-26-2013, 11:37 PM
Congrats! Dicus delivery day is the best, nerve wracking and sooooo cool! Can't wait to see pictures in a few days :p

Boyd Luth
09-27-2013, 12:32 AM
Sounds like you have been doing your research :-) Welcome, and please keep us posted ! Boyd.

DLFL
09-27-2013, 06:29 AM
Welcome to Simply and you have a great loking tank.

mjb18
09-27-2013, 07:50 AM
+1! Beautiful and inspiring.

I am growing out some 2-3" juvies and have a lonely 125 ready and waiting til they grow a little.

pastry
09-27-2013, 08:11 AM
Judie, great looking tank and looking forward to what you got from Kenny. Welcome to the site.

judijetson
09-27-2013, 03:04 PM
Thank you every one for the kind words, the arrived and are more lovely than I could have ever expected. They are right up front wanting to be fed and when I placed my hand in the tank to adjust a filters placement they came right to my hand. I am completely smitten :D

Crappy cell phone pics, but here are a couple...

Sent from my Galaxy S3