PDA

View Full Version : Discus showing spawning behavior, newb question

aseph
08-22-2013, 11:16 PM
Hi All

Thx for answering my previous thread, now a new blessing / problem occur, 2 out of 5 dominant discus started to show spawning behavior , they are shimmering/shaking and cleaning driftwood in my planted tank
4 discus are recent addition in this 2 week span, now they are all eating, 1 still has pinched body, bullying is under control...

To be honest i'm not ready to care for fry(I have read some of the stickies on breeding) , breeding discus would be my long term goal, yesterday I replace my 5 gal planted tank to 20 gal BB, my wife throw a fit (small house and mts = grumpy wife), My experience on breeding fish = 0 the only thing breed in my tank was guppies probably due to high current and fertz regime (all my tanks are planted), I have placed an order of RCS(arnd 80 adults) to start a colony which i will pick up this weekend, my line of thought is, when i m ready to breed discus i can just dump my shrimp to my other tank.

any thoughts what should i do, leave the spawning pair in community display tank , or move them to 20 gal BB, I cant and don't plan to add more tanks to raise fry, i m worried if i move the pair, the display tank has only 3 left which i know is not a good number, would they be more stress with or without the pair?? if I add the 2 back aggression will escalate, and my discus are barely adapting as it is now....

ps: the pair still occasionally bicker body slapping head butting is this normal?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-HpWR_-Aakmg/UhTN-QGhh9I/AAAAAAAAAG8/rWdhN7XdLCU/s640/P8210286.JPG

Skip
08-22-2013, 11:20 PM
don't worry about it.. leave them there.. the other fish will eat the eggs.. or they will

camuth8
08-23-2013, 11:18 AM
don't worry about it.. leave them there.. the other fish will eat the eggs.. or they will

+1

aseph
08-25-2013, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the replies,

updates: I didn't see any further spawning behavior, nor any eggs, the pair do seem to hang out between them self, aggression increases between the pair, the bigger one is bullying constantly, noticeable torn fin and missing scales, any suggestion what i should do next...

all still eating and not showing any severe stress nor very dark or constant stress bar....

Keith Perkins
08-25-2013, 08:47 AM
An occasional torn fin and a few missing scales is pretty common with discus, unless things get considerably worse you shouldn't worry about it. I know that's easier said than done when you're not use to it, but that's how discus roll.