PDA

View Full Version : Starter Tank Size

Quintin
08-23-2013, 10:57 AM
I have a 13 gallon tank with 2x 80mm red turq discus .it is a planted tank .will this be ok for them for now.they really look happy got good healthy shape.i feed them 3 to 4 times per day little bits,do 50 percent water changes every day and treat with anti chlor.they eat out of my hand.Any imput will be appreciated.ive had them for a month.:)

camuth8
08-23-2013, 11:03 AM
13 gallon tank is probably too small. As I said in your other thread, are you planning on getting other discus? Could you also list what your parameters are? They're probably fine though with 50% every day.

troysdiiscus
08-23-2013, 11:10 AM
Hey Quintin and welcome to simply. So you have 2 which are alittle over 3 inches in a 13 gallon tank? Rule of thumb on discus is one per 10 gallons and they do alot better in groups of 6 or more. With 13 gallon tank should be able to do atleast 100% per day and add dechlor, which feedings you should do atleast that amount. What are you plans? Do you plan on getting a bigger tank? I would read through the beginner section on this forum if you havent already done so if you want to successfully raise them.

tonytheboss1
08-23-2013, 10:04 PM
:bandana: Welcome to Simply. Hope you take advantage of the wealth of knowledge in the beginner section. You'll find the answers to 90% of your questions.
As to suggestions; Upgrade to a larger tank w/ adequate filtration very soon. (55 / 75g is good) Two is not ideal for shoaling fish such as these so adding 3 or 4 might be helpful. Varying your food sources will improve their diet. Lastly, your maintenance is good but until you increase your water volume, 80/90% would be better. Much waste can accumulate in a short time in a small amount of water. Good luck. Don't be afraid to ask, Don't be afraid to read!! "T"

Quintin
09-17-2013, 07:31 AM
Im getting more discus soon and will put them in a 4foot tank.and use my existing 2foot as a quarintine tank.for 2 fish at a time.

John_Nicholson
09-17-2013, 08:44 AM
55 is the smallest tank, 75 even better. Add some more fish. Keep at least 6 for best results.

-john