PDA

View Full Version : Mixing juvies of different sizes ?

PattersM
08-27-2013, 03:41 PM
I'm looking at buying my first fish and was going to go with 8 X 3.5 inch juvies in a 55 gallon, bare bottom tank. I've just seen some 5.5 inch fish I like and was thinking of buying four of these and four 3.5 inch ones as well, to grow out in the same 55 gallon, bare bottom tank. Is this OK or will I just be growing the 5.5 inch fish and starving the smaller ones?

If I go with the 5.5 inch fish only how many could I get in my 55 gallon, while growing on, before moving up to a bigger tank.

Thanks, Mike

BODYDUB
08-27-2013, 04:17 PM
Yes, the bigger fish would and could out eat the smaller ones. A 5.5 fish is considered an adult and could show more aggression towards the smaller fish in the same tank. It is recommended that discus be kept the same size when they are in one tank. I would only go with four in a 55G, but if it were me I would put them in a 75G and go with six.............

vendetta
08-27-2013, 04:39 PM
In my experience, and I remark IN MY EXPERIENCE.. I have never had problems mixing discus when differences among their size is big. Actually the biggest discus shape their own group, and little discus their own. I don't know if it is a normal behavior, but in my case it happens.

In the other hand I have read a lot of times it is bad idea mixing discus from different sizes.

discuspaul
08-27-2013, 05:29 PM
Even with a larger group of 8 -10 discus, with 4 or 5 of each of the 2 different sizes, (kept in a larger tank than you now have, btw) there will likely be normal pecking order aggression, more than likely by the larger-sized group over the smaller ones. In most cases though, it shouldn't be overly serious, and quite tolerable in a larger tank.
You take your chances somewhat though, that the aggression could indeed cause some serious problems, with the possible loss of a fish or two. It can happen, although in many cases it can work out ok.

The important thing to consider though, is that the total number of fish you're proposing, given their sizes, would not be a good idea to keep together in a 55 gal tank, even for a short period of time. The bio-load is too large for starters, and you'd almost certainly be inviting some pretty big problems with the lack of space available in that tank.

dash
08-27-2013, 06:09 PM
hi all.

i to am going to share my experience with keeping young discus and like one of the previous people said, this is only my experience.

Firstly, i would also not mix different sizes as it may cause problems however, in saying that i have seen some people do that and have know problem.

I am assuming that your tank is about 220 leeters and about 4feet or 1.2 m long. keeping 8 or 10 young discus in such is really not a serious problem. if you can provide enough bio filtration and do large water changes then why not? Remember this is only a grow out tank and you should move them when they get bigger.

Discus are social fish and enjoy beeing kept in groups. Yes, you are going to have some agrettion however this is normal until the pecking order has been astablished.

The more fish you have in the group the less one fish alone will be beeten up. like i said before this is only my views and many people will not agree with me.

please excuse many of the typos on this post. using a new phone.

discuspaul
08-27-2013, 06:23 PM
Half of the fish the OP is proposing to 'grow out' in a 55 gal tank are not what one would describe as smaller sized for grow out purposes.
4- 5.5" fish are hardly not what one might call 'juvies', or 'young fish' - in fact they are as near to adult as it generally gets- and under normal circumstances one would be pushing the envelope to keep, even say, 6 of that size in a 55 gal, never mind adding another 4 or 5 -3.5" fish to an already large-sized group of 5.5" ers.

IMO therein lies the problem - Not only would that group be creating too heavy a bio-load, if not right away, then quite soon afterwards - even with large, frequent wcs, but the limited available space would very likely cause a fairly cramped situation, exacerbating the possibility of serious pecking order issues which would very likely develop. That's my take on this particular case.
Put that group into a minimum 75 gal, preferably larger, then you would have a tenable situation.

PattersM
08-27-2013, 10:48 PM
OK, on balance looks like not a good idea. I was seduced by the pictures of the fish on one of the sponsor sites, Central Ohio Discus, and the fact they are on sale.

May have to go with about six in the 55 gallon and grow out some smaller ones in a seperate tank. Hope they are still available in a months time after my generator gets installed!!!

Mike

PattersM
08-27-2013, 10:51 PM
If they are still available in a few weeks time does anyone from Michigan fancy a road trip to Ohio?

DLFL
08-28-2013, 11:50 AM
I know that in America we want less fish per tank. But in Germany they have different opinions.

"Stocking rate & other fish ( Germany Veterinary Association)

Population density and companion fish in a discus aquarium

N B: A group of discus fish should contain at least 10-12 fish.

This recommendation should be adhered to absolutely, otherwise an animal night be excluded from the group and will not receive enough food.

Our recommendation for the population in an aquarium with a tank size 100 cm x 40 cm x 45 cm (c. 180 litres)

10-12 discus fish (8-10 cm in size). Fish of this size are very robust and are relatively moderately priced. This size of aquarium is sufficiently large for the fish when they are mature (they can reach a size of 20 cm in diameter). Since discus fish can live up to 15 years and are fully grown at 1 ½ years old, you can be sure that your purchase will be worthwhile. You can have any combination of colours in your discus group, e.g. a discus group of 2 fish each in six different colours, or you can stay with one colour.
The Germany Veterinary Association (http://www.diskuszucht-stendker.de/gb/582,0,stocking-rate-other-fish,index,0.html) for the Protection of Animals (tierärztliche Vereinigung für Tierschutz e.V. - TVT) recommends the following for keeping fish.

a maximum of 45 fish (8 cm) per 180 litres or
a maximum of 12 fish (15 cm) per 180 litres.

Elliots
08-28-2013, 12:28 PM
I think a 55 gal is the minimum starting size. For you next tank be ready to go much bigger. I do not know your personal situation but I would say 100-150 gal for your next tank. The tank costs more to start but you only do that once. Do not go to a 75, not that much bigger. List and evaluate all the costs first. Possibly check Craigslist, people have gotten good buys there.