PDA

View Full Version : Net Size for Discus?

judijetson
08-28-2013, 05:21 PM
Hello All,

So I'm getting ready for my Discus (hoping for September shipment) and am wondering about net sizing. My largest nets are only 4" and are very soft but obviously too small for 4" Discus. I've read that many people use their hands to transfer Discus (I have done this with large Koi but lets face it, you can wrap your hands around large koi). I am mostly concerned about the initial transfer from the shipping bag into the QT tank when they have already been stressed enough. I'm sure my stress levels won't be much lower and I don't want to cause any injury from being nervous and clumsy.

Any suggestions for a Discus newbie?

lipadj46
08-28-2013, 05:28 PM
I have an 8"x6" net that is blue and very soft. It works great for my 6"+ discus. I forget where i got it from thougg

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code

judijetson
08-28-2013, 05:39 PM
@lipadj46, thank you...that sounds like the same netting I have except larger. I can't remember where I got mine either :D

afriend
08-28-2013, 05:42 PM
For new discus, I just use the "drop n plop" method. Since the fish are quite lethargic due to the blue stuff they put in the bag, I think it causes less stress to just use your hand. You don't want to place the water in the bag into the tank. My net is 7 X 10 with soft netting.

Paul

lipadj46
08-28-2013, 05:44 PM
@lipadj46, thank you...that sounds like the same netting I have except larger. I can't remember where I got mine either :D

Yeah this also has a 2 foot long polished aluminum handle with a rubber grip on the end, quite nice and not expensive as I recall. I want another but I can't find them. I thought I got it from kensfish but I don't think he has them now

judijetson
08-28-2013, 05:51 PM
For new discus, I just use the "drop n plop" method. Since the fish are quite lethargic due to the blue stuff they put in the bag, I think it causes less stress to just use your hand. You don't want to place the water in the bag into the tank. My net is 7 X 10 with soft netting.

Paul

Kenny did mention that blue stuff so I may give it a try but I will also search for a nice large soft net to have just in case.

Yeah this also has a 2 foot long polished aluminum handle with a rubber grip on the end, quite nice and not expensive as I recall. I want another but I can't find them. I thought I got it from kensfish but I don't think he has them now

If I find them I will be sure to let you know where.

judijetson
08-28-2013, 05:59 PM
I found this and it's similar to the smaller nets I have now. Size is 10 x 7.

http://www.marineandreef.com/Aquarius_Premium_Aquarium_Fish_Net_24_inch_p/rto10724.htm

lipadj46
08-28-2013, 06:09 PM
Yes that's it. Might be too big though depending on the size of the tank. Maybe not though.

strawberryblonde
08-28-2013, 06:21 PM
If you're nervous about using your hands, and yep, I was too the first time, try this little trick:

Get 2 large plastic bowls. Place the box of discus on a stand or table next to the tank so that it's at a comfortable level for you. Remove the top from the tank. Then set the bowls onto the stand or table, open one bag and pour the water and fish into one bowl. Now place your hand over the bowl and near the fishes body so that he's immobilized...then tip the bowl and drain all the water into the second bowl.

As soon as the water is out of the bowl, slide the bowl with the fish in it into the tank and let it fill with water. The discus will swim right out of it.

There's no stress on the fish this way and no danger of either damaging the fins with a net or dropping the fish on the floor if you're trying to hold onto it and it wriggles.

judijetson
08-28-2013, 06:38 PM
Yes that's it. Might be too big though depending on the size of the tank. Maybe not though.

Yeah, 24" is a bit long but I'm thinking the hb could probably cut it down to a more manageable size. I like that the handle is encased in stainless steel.

If you're nervous about using your hands, and yep, I was too the first time, try this little trick:

Get 2 large plastic bowls. Place the box of discus on a stand or table next to the tank so that it's at a comfortable level for you. Remove the top from the tank. Then set the bowls onto the stand or table, open one bag and pour the water and fish into one bowl. Now place your hand over the bowl and near the fishes body so that he's immobilized...then tip the bowl and drain all the water into the second bowl.

As soon as the water is out of the bowl, slide the bowl with the fish in it into the tank and let it fill with water. The discus will swim right out of it.

There's no stress on the fish this way and no danger of either damaging the fins with a net or dropping the fish on the floor if you're trying to hold onto it and it wriggles.

Thanks so much for the tip, I really like that idea a lot! I've actually caught some of my sp black corys using a container (they're freakishly fast and I didn't want to injure them) so that method makes me breathe a lot easier.

Discusdude7
08-28-2013, 06:54 PM
If you plop and drop, get a bucket and poke a hole in the shipping bag and let the water drain out into the bucket. After all the water is out and all you have is a fish in an empty shipping bag, stick the bag in the tank and let the fish slide out. (make sure you open the shipping bag at the top before poking a hole, this way you can immediately put the fish in the tank without worrying about cutting the bag open)

Skip
08-28-2013, 09:27 PM
Hands are fine

Keith Perkins
08-28-2013, 09:35 PM
Some good suggestions here, I like them. I've gotten to the point I usually catch mine in hand, but if you're not confident about it the bag and bowl methods both sound good. I've got an 8 x 6 black Python net with a bright green 12 inch handle I think got tossed into some used equipment deal I made. :)

Trac
08-29-2013, 02:33 AM

Hope this link help.....

http://www.aquabuys.com/p/stainless-handle-fish-net-8x6x24-tom8624.html

BODYDUB
08-29-2013, 02:10 PM
You can use your hands, but be weary of the dorsal fin which is spiny. I always hand transfer my my discus by using both hands on either side of one after they are accumilated..........

White Worm
08-29-2013, 11:16 PM
Plastic spaghetti strainer. Empty the bag and discus into the strainer over the sink. Walk over to the tank and submerge strainer. Discus will upright it self and swim right out. No hands, no damage, no mess and no nets. EASY! Cover strainer with a wet washcloth while walking to the tank in case you have a jumper. Wife got mad the first time I did it and I had to buy her a new one, lol. We don't eat spaghetti out of the fish strainer!

judijetson
08-30-2013, 05:57 PM
You can use your hands, but be weary of the dorsal fin which is spiny. I always hand transfer my my discus by using both hands on either side of one after they are accumilated..........

Yes, that's what has me a bit nervous, plus I'm a natural born clutz :D. I have days where I drop everything I pick up!

Plastic spaghetti strainer. Empty the bag and discus into the strainer over the sink. Walk over to the tank and submerge strainer. Discus will upright it self and swim right out. No hands, no damage, no mess and no nets. EASY! Cover strainer with a wet washcloth while walking to the tank in case you have a jumper. Wife got mad the first time I did it and I had to buy her a new one, lol. We don't eat spaghetti out of the fish strainer!

Oooooooh I like this idea a lot also!!! New spaghetti strainer is on the shopping list for tomorrow. Thanks so much for the idea :D

Discus-Hans
08-31-2013, 10:43 PM
If you plop and drop, get a bucket and poke a hole in the shipping bag and let the water drain out into the bucket. After all the water is out and all you have is a fish in an empty shipping bag, stick the bag in the tank and let the fish slide out. (make sure you open the shipping bag at the top before poking a hole, this way you can immediately put the fish in the tank without worrying about cutting the bag open)

Close to good idea but not everybody knows how hard to "poke" and a Discus on the end of your "poking stick" or scissors is not a good idea lol lol

Cut the top off the bag, keep it "closed" upside down above a bucket, let the water drain out, slide Discus from empty bag into tank.

Now Discus 5" and up, I grab by hand from the bag and put them in the tank now......... this needs a little experience and you've to do it FAST, the faster you do it, the lesser the Discus realize what's going on, if you stop a sec. they "wake up" and can jump......... did I ever drop Discus on the floor, yes MANY over the years, and some of them from pretty high, so high that you think............... this can't be good, never lost a Discus because I droped it, they can handle way more as most people think. Do I advice to test that last part......... NO not really lol lol

Hans

judijetson
09-01-2013, 11:31 AM
Hans, thanks for the very simple and effective advice...I like it and your sense of humor! Made me feel better that if I ever do have an "oops" moment or should I say "when I have an oops moment" the Discus will be fine..I will be the one needing time to recover :D