PDA

View Full Version : Water Change for 215L tank

markbravo
08-29-2013, 07:08 PM
Hi guys this is my first post here, i recently got my first batch of discus, 6of them, they are between 4-8cm i think.. they are in a 215L tank with a canister filter on it, i feed them colorbits 4-6 times a day, i havent been able to vary the diet yet as I havent been able to purchase bloodworms or beefheart. The 2 breeders whom I got the fish from said I would only need to change the water 1-2x a week due to the small number of fish and tank size. Is their advice correct? Any tips and comments would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

lipadj46
08-29-2013, 07:10 PM
Those are juvies and need daily water changes if you want them to grow up nice and round. For a second food buy Australian blackworms from Al at aquaticsuppliers (see sponsors)

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code

dillpickle
08-29-2013, 08:56 PM
To grow those discus to their maximum size you need to be doing daily water changes. As said above the Australian Black worms from Al would be a great food to trow into their diet.

markbravo
08-29-2013, 09:02 PM
how much water should i change daily? is 25%-30% okay or too much?

lipadj46
08-29-2013, 09:21 PM
how much water should i change daily? is 25%-30% okay or too much?

All of it or as much as you can. Check your water to see if it needs to be aged

markbravo
08-29-2013, 10:35 PM
seems like it needs aging but i am not able to do it no matter how bad i want to... so what can you advise me to do? tank ph is 6.8-7.0 and my tap is 7.6... unable to age water but i have prime with me...

markbravo
08-30-2013, 12:30 AM
All of it or as much as you can. Check your water to see if it needs to be aged

seems like it needs aging but i am not able to do it no matter how bad i want to... so what can you advise me to do? tank ph is 6.8-7.0 and my tap is 7.6... unable to age water but i have prime with me...

strawberryblonde
08-30-2013, 09:53 AM
You can't rely on the pH of your current tank water if you haven't been doing daily water changes.

Instead, fill a bucket with tap water, add an air stone and test it as soon as you fill it. Then wait 24 hours and test it again. That way you'll know how much of a pH shift you actually have.

lipadj46
08-30-2013, 11:32 AM

Your Bio filter is lowering the pH which is a different phenomena that water changing pH due to chemical or physical changes of the water itself. Do what is suggested above to test

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code