PDA

View Full Version : Advise on setting up a quarantine tank

MrsIHguy
09-05-2013, 08:18 PM
Looking for some advise on setting up my quarantine tank, so far I've gone very simple. I'm nervous about the filter, to treat a sick discus usually I'm advised to do no water changes for 5-7 days. How do you keep pristine water quality without water changes?? Right now I'm only using a sponge filter, I feel like there should be more.

strawberryblonde
09-05-2013, 08:45 PM
For discus, you do a daily water change when you are QT'ing them (prior to adding them to your main tank)

And for a sick discus who needs treatment in a hospital tank you add the full dose of meds, then wait 24 hours and do a large WC, then redose for the full tank. Most meds lose their effectiveness within a 24 hour period, they degrade in warm water and even ambient light from standard light fixtures will degrade it even faster. For that reason we also recommend keeping the lights off on the tank itself, and only keeping a low level light on in the room.

So no worries about ammonia building up in the water since you're changing it every day. =)

MrsIHguy
09-05-2013, 09:35 PM
That makes since! Thanks... I've been nervous about dosing sick discus every 24 hours, I don't want to over do it. I don't have any lighting and only turned on all the lights in the room to clean and feed.