PDA

View Full Version : algae eater

slp
09-06-2013, 11:15 AM
I am new to this forum. I had discus several years ago but made several mistakes and they never developed into good healthy fish.

I am planning on setting up a tank that will mainly house discus. My plan is to have a 50-60 gallon tank. After reading some of the posts here, I will go with a BB tank with some small driftwood. Still researching filter options. My set up will not take place for about three months do to a medical situation and the need for research on how to do it right the first time. The info on this forum is one of my main sources, and I will likely make my purchases from the members.

I would like to have an alges eater in the tank to take care of any algea buildup. So fat I have not come across any information on wheather this is a good plan or if the alges eater should be avoided. Can anyone give me any advise on the pros and cons.

Thanks
Steve

Skip
09-06-2013, 11:29 AM
I would like to have an alges eater in the tank to take care of any algea buildup. So fat I have not come across any information on wheather this is a good plan or if the alges eater should be avoided. Can anyone give me any advise on the pros and cons.

Thanks
Steve

do regular water changes.. control amount of light duration.. and you will not have algae problem.. they are not needed..

zimmjeff
09-06-2013, 11:38 AM
+1

vendetta
09-06-2013, 11:58 AM
I agree with the other guys.. around a month ago I introduced to my display tank 2 Otocinclus and inmediatly I had problems.

I think that this little guys doesn't like vegetables and was more carnivores, because they constantly was stucked to my discus :( ..

Obviously my discus had been stressed and one of them, scared, jumped out the tank.. and two days after that died :(

Terrible, terrible idea introduce Plecos, Otocinclus and other kind of alge eater.

Vieira
09-06-2013, 12:18 PM
No need for a algae eater.

Richard

BODYDUB
09-06-2013, 12:55 PM
If you really need an alge eater, go with a britlenose pleco, but I have'nt had one in my tank, ever.................

slp
09-06-2013, 01:04 PM
Thanks for all of the replies. Due to the uniforminity of the replies I will bow to the wisdom and experience of those on the forum. I will not be putting any algae eaters in my tank.

Thanks to all
Steve

camuth8
09-06-2013, 07:06 PM
If you do need an algae eater, I've had good experiences with otos, but as others are saying, it's likely you won't be needing them.

alexsano
09-08-2013, 05:53 AM
i have Plecos and Otocinclus in my tank eversince and so far i dont have any problem. Recently i decided to remove both since i dont need them and they just added dirt in the tank.

camuth8
09-08-2013, 10:40 AM
i have Plecos and Otocinclus in my tank eversince and so far i dont have any problem. Recently i decided to remove both since i dont need them and they just added dirt in the tank.

Plecos are super dirty, and they don't really clean up the algae you want them to.

Elliots
09-08-2013, 05:05 PM
I was able to get Siamese Algae Eaters locally. They do a great job on Hair Algae. I no longer clean my driftwood. The driftwood is a little green in color but no "Hair" that I dislike They are very active but they do not seem to bother my Discus. slp, where are you located? SAE are still available in NYC.

alexsano
09-10-2013, 04:06 AM
Plecos are super dirty, and they don't really clean up the algae you want them to.

yeah true! i really hate it! i just dont want to flush it in the toilet lol but i will probably give it to a lfs.

Mally
09-23-2013, 10:35 PM
I have two bristlenose catfish in my tank, much to my fish suppliers disgust. He warned me about the bristlenose sucking onto the side of the discus. As the oldest bristlenose had been housed with the oldest discus for about 12 months care free I didn't bother to remove them. Two nights ago when I sat to watch the discus eat, over came the bristlnose, waited a moment, jumped up and latched onto the Discus' face and took a little chunk out of his cheek! I was shocked and it was the first sign of aggression in over 16 months, and making me re-consider moving the bristlenose and replacing with a whiptail...however I don't know whether they eat as much algae as bristley's.

STHH
09-24-2013, 02:54 AM
I agree with the other guys.. around a month ago I introduced to my display tank 2 Otocinclus and inmediatly I had problems.

I think that this little guys doesn't like vegetables and was more carnivores, because they constantly was stucked to my discus :( ..

Obviously my discus had been stressed and one of them, scared, jumped out the tank.. and two days after that died :(

Terrible, terrible idea introduce Plecos, Otocinclus and other kind of alge eater.

I have never heard of otos sucking on other fishes. They are such shy creatures. Maybe you have gotten yourself a chinese algae eater?

alexsano
09-24-2013, 05:38 AM
when i started my tank i bought a pleco, algae eater and loaches and eventually after 3-4 months i feel like they're useless and just last week i remove the pleco.

like what the posts above, i learned that regular w/c and limit the light duration and you are good to go.

Elliots
09-24-2013, 05:59 AM
STHH, an oto looks nothing like a chinese algae eater. Check the net for photos.