PDA

View Full Version : Let me know the condition of my discus

Quintin
09-07-2013, 05:56 PM
I hav attached pics of my 2 red turq discus 80mm in size.please let me know what you think of their condition and if all looks well so far.and if any irregularitys please let me know as im very new to discus and would appreciate your oppinions on my babys.

DiscusLoverJeff
09-08-2013, 09:55 AM
How old are they Quintin? They are still young at 80mm (3" or so), they will have some growing left to do.

Also, what size tank are they in? The color pattern is nice so far.

Second Hand Pat
09-08-2013, 01:14 PM
Moved this thread from the discus university section.

Quintin
09-17-2013, 03:22 AM
Hi Everyone i would like to know how you go about measuring my discus.i have seen people put them on a cloth on a table and measure them and then put them back in tank.is that the correct way.and what is the method of measuring them my maths skills arnt up to scratch.do you measure top to bottom or side to side.body only or fins to fins.please advise.i know my discus were about 80mm when i got them and would like to see how they have grown.

strawberryblonde
09-17-2013, 03:50 AM
There are a couple of ways to measure them. If they're small, you can lay them on the palm of one hand and measure with the other.

If they're too big to fit comfortably on the palm of your hand, use a the inside of a smooth lid or shallow bucket to lay them flat. You can add a tiny bit of tank water if you want to, but they are fine out of water for the time it takes to measure them.

I used to lay them on a plate! Then one day one of mine decided to flip himself off of the plate and all over my counter top, so now I use the lid from a styrofoam shipping box (the one that they arrived in). It has tall enough sides on it that even if they flop around they can't launch off of it. And it's easy to just slip them back into the tank water when I'm done without having to try to pick them up again.

There are also two standard measurements. You can use either one. SL is from the nose to the base of the tail, and TL is from the nose to the end of the tail. I use TL since that's what most use.

Quintin
09-17-2013, 04:44 AM
Thank you for the info

Gorf
09-23-2013, 07:35 AM
The size of a Discus is only for a general comparison guide. I do it roughly by eye.
I'd never dream of removing fish from a tank & put them through that stress only to measure them? But that's just me. :p

Elliots
09-23-2013, 11:22 AM
I just put a tape measure against my glass and get the lenght correct or near correct. I do not need it closer than that. Toni is probably correct that taking your Discus out of your tank and measuring them will not harm them, I just see no reason to do it. Also please note that Discus length usually includes the tail. Sometimes when photographing Discus people sometimes use a quarter (25 cents) to show size. IMPORTANT NOTE: Some by mail Discus sellers sometimes sell you one size but ship smaller, that does not apply to SD sponsors who ship the size ordered or larger.

jmf3460
09-23-2013, 11:40 AM
Discus look good to me. I think a more natural setting would do them more justice. But your tank looks clean and water looks clear. Fish have bright eyes, and coloring is good. I have seen your pictures in other threads that you have posted. I think you are doing well with your first discus fish.

Quintin
09-23-2013, 03:48 PM
Thanks.This is what the tank looks like now.I added two Orange checkerboard discus (same size 80mm).the genral mood in tank has gone up.they all looking good so far.Im glad i started with small discus as they are so much fun to raise.Thanx for everyones imput so far, its much appreciated

Quintin
03-28-2015, 06:51 PM
I forgot about this thread of mine.thought id post some pics of my set of blue various discus im growing out at present.then ill aso post some pics of my adult tank as it stand.please let me know what you guys think of them.there is the one light blue that was sent on hes own he was bought at the same size of others but was smaller than advertised he looks well on hes way to being stunted i think.they were just fed ox heart and was distracted by me the tank does get cleaned after beef heart feed.

Quintin
03-28-2015, 07:07 PM
Ill post my larger size discus tank too with adults and subadults sized from 11cm to14cm.

Quintin
03-28-2015, 07:16 PM
Some real potential with some of these discus.they all grow on me every day.

Quintin
03-29-2015, 08:44 AM
Pat do you know what kind of discus this is.i have no idea as he was ordered as yellow Molboro.they obviously sent wrong fish i wanted bright yellow with white face.any experienced people please.Jhon, Bill

thanking you in advance

Second Hand Pat
03-29-2015, 08:51 AM
Quintin, it looks like a wild discus but some domestics also look like wild discus. It is definitely not what you ordered.
Pat

rickztahone
03-29-2015, 02:40 PM
This is a great looking fella:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=86019&stc=1&d=1427584529

Quintin
03-30-2015, 04:24 PM
Thanks Ricardo.I bought that one hoping it was male.Now got 2 females laying on the cone.Yes he does have a wild look but doesnt he have too many bars,or something and also i wouldnt be that lucky.Suppose it s good too as i dnt know the first thing about caring for wilds.like to see what he will turn out like bought him at 10cm and have had him about a month and half

FMA4ME
03-31-2015, 08:53 PM
This is a great looking fella:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=86019&stc=1&d=1427584529

Yeah!! BEAUTIFUL!! What strain is that!!?? :)

Quintin
04-01-2015, 03:26 PM
He was purchased as a turq.I think shes a turq.dnt know if red or blue her friend is definately blue.