PDA

View Full Version : Some advice please

ricardinho
09-10-2013, 04:32 AM
Hey Guys,

Please excuse all the questions..Im still a noobie at this!

As some of you may already know, I recently got a discus, and Im not entirely sure im doing these correctly.

Is the following normal/ok?

- 45g tank with 1 discus (getting more this week) with 55 tiny neon tetra like fish..
- Iv had the fish since saturday, and he seems to only want to sit in the corner by the heater (visually he looks fine).
- He hasnt eatern any of the tetrabits if fed him, however after feeding blood worms, a couple floated up to his corner and he ate them..but very few!

I have not tested the water since last week, but all water parameters were fine then

Is he just stressed as its his new home? The water temperate is at 27degress. 80°F.

Any advice would be appreciated..

jsullins
09-10-2013, 04:49 AM
Raise the the temp to 84°F, it will speed up his metabolism. He should start eating, the other fish should be fine at that temp. I keep all of my tanks at that temp. When I first started I lost a couple of discus the same way, my temp was set at 80 and they basicly starved themselves to death. Once I raised the temp they all starting eating and I havn't had any problems with that since then.

ricardinho
09-10-2013, 04:55 AM
Hey jsullins

Thanks for the advice, will try this!

Madaboutdiscus
09-10-2013, 07:34 AM
Mine seemed to stress more with lights off so maybe see if hes more stressed with ot without lights. Definitely bump up the temp. How big is he?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

ricardinho
09-10-2013, 07:39 AM
Hi Madaboutdiscus, he is about palm size

andyman105
09-10-2013, 08:11 AM
Hi, I agree to raising temp to 84. Discus needs a place to hide too, but do not overload as it is quite hard to clean an overloaded tank. It takes time and Discus will get stressed due to long cleaning time. Check your water parameters daily just to check. Lastly, 50 tetras are too much for just one discus to accompany with. They get stressed if they're alone, if you add the other fishes maybe he will calm down. Minimum amount of discus in tank should be around 6,8 or 10 depending on tank size. I'm also a noob on this but I just followed forum advices and everything went well for me. Good Luck!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

sam123
09-10-2013, 08:13 AM
hi im sam im new to this and wonderd if you could help me with my discus

sam123
09-10-2013, 08:14 AM
hi im sam am new to this and wonderd if you could help me with my discus

ricardinho
09-10-2013, 08:50 AM
Hey Andy,

Thanks for the advice...il be getting rid of some of the tetras and getting a couple more discus soon!

Second Hand Pat
09-10-2013, 09:07 AM
Hi Ricardinho, one issue I see coming is the size of your tank. Since it is only a 45 gallon you are best to only have four or five discus in the tank with no dither fish. We generally recommend one discus per 10 gallons. We also recommend groups of no less then six to help spread the aggression.

camuth8
09-10-2013, 09:24 AM
Hi Ricardinho, one issue I see coming is the size of your tank. Since it is only a 45 gallon you are best to only have four or five discus in the tank with no dither fish. We generally recommend one discus per 10 gallons. We also recommend groups of no less then six to help spread the aggression.

Yeah. 55 cardinal tetras (the neon like fish) is a lot for a 45 plus 5 discus. I'd remove the tetras and focus on the discus.