PDA

View Full Version : Hi to SimplyDiscus ;)

vendetta
09-10-2013, 12:46 PM
Hi..

I follow the forum since some months ago.. but until today I'm answering the tank setup questionnaire to introduce me.

Only as note I'm not english spoken, never in my life I had studied it, so I'm not very good, actually I'm very bad... so, don't kill me for that ;)

1) Please Introduce your self and tell us what your experience is with fishkeeping, give us as much information as possible as to how long in the hobby, what you have kept in the past and what you currently are working with.

Well.. since I was a little kid I had some easy care and common fishes like Bettas, Gouramies, Mollys and Plecos.

Through the time I kept Guppies, Oscars (I really like this fishes), Flower horns, Caribas and other little communitary fishes like Corys, Cardinals, etc..

Since around 6 months ago I started with discus fish keeping; I mounted a display tank in my mother's house of 95G; but because of my job I moved to a new city... I not unmounted my display tank, my family likes it and they are maintaining it, and maybe each 15 days I perform a more scrupulous cleanliness.

In my new apartment I'm mounting a new display tank, also of 95G.

Also I have a 30G aquarium for breeding and a 20G QT aquarium (I need a bigger QT aquarium!).

2) If you have no previous experience with keeping discus, have you done any research to properly prepare yourself, e.g. have you read any Stickies in this section of SimplyDiscus, or other material?

Most part of my resources are articles from magazines and forums like Planetacuario.com, Acuarios.es and SimplyDiscus.com where you can find a lot of guides and threats with similar questions that you have.

3) Describe your tank, its size and dimensions, breeding or display. Include how long it has been setup or if it is still being cycled.

Well, as I said I have two display tanks, one breeding tank and one QT tank. But I'll focus on my new display tank.

- 95G
- Cycled for month and a half without any fish, and in a traditional way.. adding some fish flakes.

4) Describe the décor for the tank; type of substrate or bare bottom (BB), whether the tank will be planted or a biotope.

I'll try to have a biotope, so I have a little Azoo substrate covered with silica sand. There are some drift woods, two Anubias, two Amazon Swords and a water lettuce (I'm not sure about the correct name, but the local name in Mexico is water lettuce... I really like its roots).

5) Describe your water changes planned or practiced, percentage and how often. Include if you age your water and use of tap/RO or mix.

I perform two water changes per week of 20% with RO water mixed with aged tap water (I'm new with the use of RO water).

6) Describe the type of filtration planned/used for the tank; sponge, HOB and/or sump. Also include the other equipment you are, or will be, using in your tank, e.g. heater, lighting, etc.

- Canister filter (Fluval FX5... yeah!.. a lot of filtration for on this tank)
- Internal sponge filter
- UV lamp

7) If the tank is already setup and running, include the water parameters;

- temp __28 C___

- tank ph __7.0___ (in my others tank I have 6.2.. but in this can't down the pH, but most part of SD memebers recommentations said that my current pH is ok)

- Ph of the water straight out of your tap ___8.5__

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading __0__

- well water __??__

- municipal water __??__

8) Describe your current or planned stocking levels; number/size of discus and number/type of dither fish. Where did you get your discus from or do you have a proposed source for getting your discus?

- 6 Corys
- 2 Mesonauta Festivus
- 1 Cherry Barb (Do you believe in spontaneous generation?.. well I didn't buy this guy o_O )
- 1 Domestic Alenquer 4" (this guy is a "test subject" I brought from my other display aquarium to be sure that all my parameters are correct; they have 15 days living in this aquarium with a well behavior.. so, this weekend I'll bring his/her friends)

My idea is to have 5 discus, 4 from my current stock (most part of them from Central Ohio Discus) and 1 from Kenny's Discus... a rare Albino Mosaic Leopard that I'm waiting for him/her.

9) Describe your planned or existing feeding regimen. Include what and how often you are feeding on a daily basis.

Twice per day with Tetra Color granulated, Azoo Bloodworm and homemade mash (I'm not sure about this word in english, in spanish is "papilla") at weekend currently I offer to my fishes artemia, but I'm thinking in offer to them live blackworm from an Australian Farm.. what do you think about it?

10) What are your goals in this hobby? For example are you looking to keep discus in a planted community tank, or do you hope to become a hobby breeder of Discus? Do you want to raise Discus with the hopes of competing in shows?

Well I want to experiment with breeding and have a healthy fishes in my display tanks. Thats all ;)

Here is a bad photo of my new aquarium.. I hope you can see it, I took it with my mobile so, quality is bad :(

musicmarn1
09-10-2013, 02:09 PM
welcome !! very good English :) much better than my Spanish ! i love your goals :) hehe same as mine ! tank looks super, you will love Kenny's fish, they are excellent and great attitude :p let me know how your experiences are with RO im about to start using it but want to know as much as i can first. You will love this forum, people know so much its unreal.

vendetta
09-10-2013, 05:23 PM
Hi!

Thanks.. you can read about my experiences with RO water here: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?108819-Mixing-RO-water-with-tap-water&highlight=

Currently I have a stable pH of 7... my discus always were on 6.2.. but, I'll to try with this pH.

troysdiiscus
09-10-2013, 06:09 PM
Hey Vendetta and welcome. Like the setup nice clean and simple. Your correct term is water lettuce. Everything looks good one thing that does concern me is 2x 20% a week WC, unless I read it wrong, may want to up it more than that. I am guessing that on your canisters you have a prefilter on your FX5..

alexsano
09-11-2013, 01:17 AM
hi and welcome to simply!

lol i just noticed that you got more posts than me and i am welcoming you :p

vendetta
09-11-2013, 11:37 AM
Hey Vendetta and welcome. Like the setup nice clean and simple. Your correct term is water lettuce. Everything looks good one thing that does concern me is 2x 20% a week WC, unless I read it wrong, may want to up it more than that. I am guessing that on your canisters you have a prefilter on your FX5..

Yes I have prefilter.

Do you recommend me increase my water changes?

Greetings ;)

vendetta
09-11-2013, 11:38 AM
hi and welcome to simply!

lol i just noticed that you got more posts than me and i am welcoming you :p

Jejejeje... yeah.. I started asking and answering in other post before introduce me :P

troysdiiscus
09-11-2013, 11:44 AM
Yes I would, I personally do 30% everyday in a 110 gallon and do 75% every Sunday. Now not saying you have to do that but I would definately bump it up then monitor your levels to get that happy medium. It wll depend on how much you feed and what you feed, then make adjustments as needed.