PDA

View Full Version : Eheim 2217 and purigen, how to use?

mmdiscus1
09-15-2013, 02:39 AM
Hi i just ordered 100mg purigen from amazon, it comes with a mesh bag.
I have 100 gallon planted tank with substrate, not heavily planted, and its been running only two month. Hence the nitrate level at about 30ppm accrd to api master kit.

I read on this forum that purigen is good with removing nitrates. So ipurchased it. Now, my question is where exaclty in the filter do i put it? After cheramic rings, before sponges, any suggestions?
Thanks.

mastermamo
09-15-2013, 07:29 AM
You can put it anywhere really. The water inside the canister filters continuously so there's no hard and fast rule about what goes first or last.
The only one to worry about is activated carbon (charcoal) which needs to be placed last but if u have a discus tank you should not have activated carbon in the first place

Trubble
09-15-2013, 10:04 AM
You can put it anywhere really. The water inside the canister filters continuously so there's no hard and fast rule about what goes first or last.
The only one to worry about is activated carbon (charcoal) which needs to be placed last but if u have a discus tank you should not have activated carbon in the first place
+1

We have Purigen in all our canisters, including our 2217. I usually put it on the top of the floss, trying to keep it centered.

100fuegos
09-15-2013, 06:27 PM
It does not adsorb nitrates. From Seachem website: " PurigenŽ controls ammonia, nitrites and nitrates by removing nitrogenous organic waste that would otherwise release these harmful compounds."

It will has no effect at all over your existing level of NO3, though it will stop or at least decrease the production of nitrates.

afriend
09-16-2013, 11:22 AM
It does not adsorb nitrates. From Seachem website: " PurigenŽ controls ammonia, nitrites and nitrates by removing nitrogenous organic waste that would otherwise release these harmful compounds."

It will has no effect at all over your existing level of NO3, though it will stop or at least decrease the production of nitrates.

I agree with this with the following addition. In order to get zero nitrates, it will be necessary to have a water source with no nitrates, and sufficient water exchange to flush out new nitrates produced from the nitrification of ammonia from the fish.

Paul

DiscusAB
09-16-2013, 12:20 PM
I stop using purigen.
Purigen is pretty useless ... and a waste of money.
Water change is all you need

If you have nitrates problem you aint doing enough water change.

afriend
09-16-2013, 12:38 PM
I stop using purigen.

I would suggest that you are not using it in the right way. When I first used Purigen, I didn't have much success with it either. The 100ml bag wont let water flow thru it properly. Discover what it will do when used as one element of a "total filtration system", and you will be amazed. However, I still believe that water exchange is still necessary in order to get the desired results.

Paul

Tazalanche
09-16-2013, 03:54 PM
I stop using purigen.

If you have nitrates problem you aint doing enough water change.I'd have to politely disagree with the above post. If nothing else, Purigen helped with the clarity of our water & is rechargable for years.

I agree that large water changes can resolve a LOT of issues, but if your source water has nitrates, then more water changes can make things worse without items like plants to absorb existing nitrates & purigen to help reduce the creation of more.

seashell_midwest
09-20-2013, 01:03 AM
can please give some direction of how to use the purigen correctly in the 2217. I have purigen and purigen sachem media bag on the way. What does total filtration system mean?

afriend
09-20-2013, 10:14 AM
can please give some direction of how to use the purigen correctly in the 2217. I have purigen and purigen sachem media bag on the way. What does total filtration system mean?

seashell,

When using a bag of Purigen, place it where the water flow rate is maximum. This is the way I first used it in my canister filter. Don't expect anything other than an improvement in water clarity. The Eheim canister filter is not intended to be a reactor for Purigen due to its unique characteristics.

You can access my four part post on a "total filtration system" by typing "How to Get the WOW Factor and Work Allot Less" in the search feature on SD. You will find it about half way down the list. The parts that will probably interest you most are parts 1 and 3.

Paul

mmdiscus1
09-22-2013, 01:38 PM
I stop using purigen.

My nitrate problem is from tap, i have near 30ppm nitrate from tap. I am using 50% RO, fifty tap. But still end upmwith nitrates, around 30 ppm in 100 gallon tank.

I Am tryin purigen, Because of the nitrate in my tap water..

mmdiscus1
09-22-2013, 01:40 PM
seashell,

When using a bag of Purigen, place it where the water flow rate is maximum. This is the way I first used it in my canister filter. Don't expect anything other than an improvement in water clarity. The Eheim canister filter is not intended to be a reactor for Purigen due to its unique characteristics.

You can access my four part post on a "total filtration system" by typing "How to Get the WOW Factor and Work Allot Less" in the search feature on SD. You will find it about half way down the list. The parts that will probably interest you most are parts 1 and 3.

Paul

By where the eater flowis maximumyou mean at thebottom of canister? Right on top sof ceramic rings, or below? Thats where water flow is greatest, i think, as water is flowing out of the tank..

afriend
09-22-2013, 05:01 PM
My nitrate problem is from tap, i have near 30ppm nitrate from tap. I am using 50% RO, fifty tap. But still end upmwith nitrates, around 30 ppm in 100 gallon tank.

Purigen does not absorb nitrate. There are other ways to reduce nitrates, but I've never used them.

Tony C
09-22-2013, 06:00 PM

With nitrate levels that high you may be better off using 100% RO/DI and remineralizing it if your system can produce enough water.

Trubble
09-23-2013, 05:33 PM
I, too, have high nitrates in my source water. They will vary from 50ppm - 80ppm. I do have Purigen in my canister filter. I also use live plants in and on top of the tank to control the nitrates. My fish are doing just fine. The biggest Violet Reflection from the group I won in March is over 6" at 11 months old, just as an example. It is not necessary to go to extremes to deal with a high source water nitrate issue. Sometimes simple works quite well.

mmdiscus1
09-27-2013, 11:39 AM
I, too, have high nitrates in my source water. They will vary from 50ppm - 80ppm. I do have Purigen in my canister filter. I also use live plants in and on top of the tank to control the nitrates. My fish are doing just fine. The biggest Violet Reflection from the group I won in March is over 6" at 11 months old, just as an example. It is not necessary to go to extremes to deal with a high source water nitrate issue. Sometimes simple works quite well.
Where do u place purigen in canister? Close to inflow or outflow?

Tazalanche
09-27-2013, 06:44 PM
Where do u place purigen in canister? Close to inflow or outflow?The Purigen bag is on top of everything else in each of our canisters.

The water leaves the tank through the pre-filter sponge (http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/aquarium-filters/ati-filter-max-3.html) before going into the canister. Once in the Eheim 2217 canister, it goes (bottom to top) through an Eheim blue coarse pad, through the bio-media (layered trays of Eheim Ehfimech ceramic rings, then a mix of Seachem Matrix & Eheim Ehfisubstrat Pro), through the filter floss, then through the Purigen. This helps ensure the water has the least gunk possible before going through the Purigen, out of the canister, through the in-line UV filter (http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/uv-sterilizers/coralife-12x-turbo-twist-uv-sterilizer.html), then back into the tank.

That's the setup on our 135 tank. The other discus tanks with a canister have the same setup as the 135, excluding the in-line UV filter.

I hope that helps.

mmdiscus1
10-14-2013, 06:42 AM
Thanx for info.