PDA

View Full Version : need advice- removing substrate

pandapr
09-16-2013, 10:07 PM
Hi, I have a 75g with a fluval fx5 and want to remove all the substrate because its just cleaner and easier. So, need advice on how to do this with the least amount of stress to the fish (and the ecosystem). Was thinking on removing about 30% each week followed by a 50% water change after each substrate removal.
Thanks

Keith Perkins
09-16-2013, 10:15 PM
I'd put the fish in a bucket(s) with an airstone, maybe a heater. Pull a little water out of the tank to avoid splashing and shut down the filtration. Pull ALL the substrate out and let the crap settle for maybe 15 minutes. Do a huge WC with aged water and toss the fish back in. Clean tank with great water...they won't be stressed long.

BODYDUB
09-16-2013, 11:25 PM
Do your age your water? Or is your PH the same as the to the tap????

Nimeni
09-16-2013, 11:33 PM
So, need advice on how to do this with the least amount of stress to the fish (and the ecosystem).Thanks

Hi,

In my opinion, all operations must be done in the evening, the room half illuminated (more darkness to avoid stressing fish).

Prepare in advance all necessary, more precisely:
- A quarantine tank to keep the fish during operation.
- A container in which can fit 50 gallons of water or less.
- A bucket in which to keep in operation the external filter.
- A container in which to remove the substrate.

When you have all these ready around you....
- disconnect the heater and wait at least 5 - 10 minutes.
- begin to fill "quarantine tank" (host container) with water from the aquarium... through the external filter: Put the OUT hose from Fluval to the host container and fill out as you think necessary.
- move heater in the quarantine tank and check it to function properly.
- move the airstone in the quarantine tank and check it to function properly.
- cover as much as possible quarantine tank so that is not too much light. Possibly put and a cardboard lid, something like....
- start transferring fish and leave them there just with air stone and heater.
- also using the Fluval filter.... starts to fill the 50 gallon container so the main tank become to be "empty". If you do not have only one container you can use several. Be careful though to be clean and have no prior contact with detergents and other household products
- After you have drained 50-70% of the water from the aquarium.....
- Water remaining throw it away, until no water remains in the tank...
- move the Fluval filter in "50 gal container" and let it continues to function.
- remove the substrate out, wash the tank well.... And start reverse operation:

- With the help of Fluval fill the aquarium with 50 gallon water.
- Replace heater and air... move the fish back..... keep the light at aquarium still closed.... put Fluval back in place.....
- Continue to fill the tank as you would do "normally" 50% W.C.
- Let the fish still in the dark and avoid sudden movements until morning.... when you give them first feeding. ;)

Good luck!

strawberryblonde
09-16-2013, 11:33 PM
Yep, just remove the discus and hold them in aerated buckets (with heat if it's going to be more than an hour), then remove the substrate, let the crud settle, siphon ALL of it out, refill and return your discus.

If you are afraid of removing too much beneficial bacteria, just test the tank water for a few days after the removal and up the water changes if you notice any ammonia or nitrites. The filters will catch up VERY quickly. I've actually never had a spike in ammonia and nitrites when I've removed substrate.

Trier20
09-17-2013, 02:18 AM
Well this is how I've done it in the past and it worked great. Syphon water into clean buckets. Put fish in buckets. Unplug heater and filter. Syphon out the rest of the water and the. Shop vac the substrate out. It gets it all out fast and clean. Refill tank with aged dechlorinated water plug heater and filter back in toss the fish in and your back in business.

pandapr
09-17-2013, 08:04 AM
all of you are awesome! Thanks for the detailed advice!
I do have a 30g empty tank, two 15g containers and a few 5g buckets. I dont need a heater, very warm all year. Really like the idea of using the filter to empty/refill the tank.
I'm a little worried about bacteria so will keep checking parameters for a few days after the project.
Was also thinking on removing the black background on the tank but its spray painted with krylon so will figure out how to do it (want a lighter color). Also going to add some kind of paper from the bottom.
Thanks again!!!

John_Nicholson
09-17-2013, 08:43 AM
Just siphon out some of it everyday. You can leave the fish in the tank. Take out 10% or so a day. Also you will need to paint or tape paper to the outside bottom of the tank. If you just have a glass bottom the fish will try to swim though it.

-john

troysdiiscus
09-17-2013, 09:32 AM
+1 thats what I did when I had a planted tank with eco complete. Just syphon 10-20% a day. I had learned even if I put a substrate in to always paint the bottom, just in case. Never had an issue with spikes..
Just siphon out some of it everyday. You can leave the fish in the tank. Take out 10% or so a day. Also you will need to paint or tape paper to the outside bottom of the tank. If you just have a glass bottom the fish will try to swim though it.

-john

Skip
09-17-2013, 11:18 AM
I'd put the fish in a bucket(s) with an airstone, maybe a heater. Pull a little water out of the tank to avoid splashing and shut down the filtration. Pull ALL the substrate out and let the crap settle for maybe 15 minutes. Do a huge WC with aged water and toss the fish back in. Clean tank with great water...they won't be stressed long.

EXACTLY!

Tony C
09-17-2013, 12:29 PM
Was also thinking on removing the black background on the tank but its spray painted with krylon so will figure out how to do it (want a lighter color).

You can use a single edge razor blade to strip the painted background.

Discus415
09-17-2013, 02:36 PM
I also wanted to paint the bottom of my glass tank. Do I need special paint or any household paint applied with a roller will do?

Tony C
09-17-2013, 02:40 PM
I use spray paint, I know other types can be used but I don't have any personal experience to offer with them.

mastermamo
09-17-2013, 02:45 PM
Well this is how I've done it in the past and it worked great. Syphon water into clean buckets. Put fish in buckets. Unplug heater and filter. Syphon out the rest of the water and the. Shop vac the substrate out. It gets it all out fast and clean. Refill tank with aged dechlorinated water plug heater and filter back in toss the fish in and your back in business.

Well said. Quick and easy with hardly any stress on fish.

nikond70s
09-17-2013, 02:47 PM
if you currently have substrates that are small or sand. u can bring in a hose or garden hose. use it as a waterchange. instead of only sucking out the water u suck out the substrate aswell. thats how i changed my substrate without taking out the fish. clean,simple and no stress on the fish. took me a few water change to complete the process on my 135.

as far as paint. if you're only painting the ouside. use any pain. spray paint takes longer. using the roll is easier and faster. and if u want something aquarium safe. use krylon.

troysdiiscus
09-17-2013, 02:48 PM
I also wanted to paint the bottom of my glass tank. Do I need special paint or any household paint applied with a roller will do?
any paint will work, latex for sure, easier clean up. If you have some paint laying around use it. I use a sponge rolller..or a paint brush. Put atleast 2 coats.

Discus415
09-17-2013, 02:57 PM
Paint it white or beige color? Does it really matter?

troysdiiscus
09-17-2013, 03:03 PM
dont matter if you have one or the other already use either one..I painted mine off white cause thats what I had on hand..

Discus415
09-17-2013, 03:10 PM
Thank you all for your guidance.

alexsano
09-18-2013, 01:28 AM

-john

this is what i am doing currently. I am siphoning the substrate little by little everytime i do W/C.

strawberryblonde
09-18-2013, 01:46 AM
Since Discus415 needs to paint the bottom of his tank white, it doesn't make much sense to remove small portions of the gravel at each water change. He'll still need to remove all the discus to buckets in order to drain the tank and paint it.

Much easier to just go ahead and do it all at once...and much less stress and mess for the discus to deal with!

alexsano
09-19-2013, 12:45 AM
^ agree

GeauxDiscus
09-20-2013, 12:09 PM
This is a very helpful thread. I am about to do the exact same substrate removal project on my show tank. I see a lot of people saying to paint the bottom outside of the tank. Why? What are the benefits? Do the fish get confused by the mirror effect on the bottom of the tank? Or is there some other reason?

strawberryblonde
09-20-2013, 01:18 PM
Yuppers, they react badly to seeing their reflection on the bottom. Some try to swim through it, others freak out and dash all around the tank and some just plain will NOT eat off of the bottom if it's not painted.

The other nice thing about painting it white is that it lightens up the whole tank and makes the discus colors look even better. I was shocked at how much better my discus liked it and how much better they looked when I painted my first barebottom tank.

GeauxDiscus
09-20-2013, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the clarification, Toni.