PDA

View Full Version : Which water pump to buy?

pastry
09-21-2013, 10:48 PM
I'm taking the plunge and making my own sump. I can't go as big as I want but at least this first one will be a stepping stone for me. I have a 150 (planted with wood... so probably total water is closer to 125) and I'll be using a Rubbermaid tub that looks closer to 20+ gallons (not big unfortunately). I'm looking on Amazon.com at pumps and I'm not sure what to get. I was thinking something around 300 gph to start off with (and not a necessity but would like a flow control feature). Any recommendations? I don't want to sound cheap but would like to not spend an arm & a leg after I just spent over 100 on poret foam!

Also, I've never done a sump so if anything looks out of place about what I said above then it's open season on me. Take me to school. I've already been researching different DIY websites listed on old threads so I'm learning! Thanks for any and all feedback & recommendations. -Elliot

timmy82
09-22-2013, 12:20 AM
I have used Tunze and they are very economical on power consumption. Mine is 900 GPH @ 34 watts. Not a budget pump but very well made and compact. Most pumps at that rating are 90 watts or much higher so what you save in power will balance out in the long run with a bit more expensive pump.

musicmarn1
09-22-2013, 03:07 AM
Elliot so excited to be doing the same thing at the same time! I am struggling with iron slowing down my 300 fog pump! So I might get that 900

pastry
09-22-2013, 06:27 AM
thanks timmy. yeah, I have 3 different ones that I acquired (people gave them to me not knowing what they were for). all have different OEMs but are just fine. I guess I just wanted to make sure of anything to stay away from. on Amazon I saw only one or two pumps that people were just pissed off about... other than that, most were just fine.

hey musicmarn! keep me posted on how yours comes along. hopefully we both don't end up flooding our houses :P I've been studying the crap out of overflow boxes as well as the "emergency hole" on the out flow tube (to negate reverse syphoning... I'm sure someone on here is laughing at how green I am with sumps... ha ha, oh well, have to start somewhere).

decoy50
10-10-2013, 04:32 PM
Monster Fish Keepers has some good write-ups on sump building. I'm in the same boat as you pastry. I'm looking to setup a 180gallon in the future and I want to run a sump & I have no clue what I'm doing! I've been reading all I can. From what I've been able to pick up, I think you're going to want more turnover than 300gph on a 125(think at least 2x that). I've also heard good things about Laguna pumps. Good luck to you.

MKD
10-10-2013, 04:52 PM
Plants need lot of water movement or else you'll get algae. also, not sure how big is your drain pipe but don't go bigger than your drain pipe :) try pump 4-6 times of your water volume.

ktltn04
10-10-2013, 07:00 PM
Rio HF 14 hyper flow should be enough for you.

nvladik
11-13-2013, 06:04 PM
I am using a MAG 12 and I am pretty happy with it.