PDA

View Full Version : Well Water

ganjero
09-24-2013, 11:23 AM
Can I sue my well water straight from the faucet?

This is the results from my well water test:
Nitrate 0.50 mg/L
pH 7.95
TDS 744 (This one is high)
Iron ND or less than 0.060 mg/L

Thanks

musicmarn1
09-24-2013, 02:30 PM
Ok im learning this and am fairly new, however i have well water and what im seeing here is that if you have 10ppm nitrate say, in your tank water and you do a water change you are actually raising the nitrate level.

"
There is no simple way to remove all nitrates from your water. Finding and correcting the source of nitrate contamination is the best course of action. Although it is common to think of boiling, softening or filtration as a means of purifying water, none of these methods reduce nitrate contamination. In fact, boiling water that contains high nitrates can actually increase the nitrate concentration. Reverse osmosis, ion exchange and distillation units could conceivably provide home treatment for removing nitrates from water, but those processes can be complicated, expensive, and generally require routine maintenance. Activated carbon and other simple filters do not remove nitrates to any significant degree. Home treatment units are generally not recommended, particularly as a permanent solution to assure nitrate-free water for infant use.

Your only long-term option may be to find a new source of water. This can be achieved by either drilling a new well or connecting to a public water supply system that has acceptable nitrate levels. When selecting a new well (or looking for sources of nitrate contamination around your existing well), be sure to consider ALL possible sources of contamination. Unlike other contaminants, nitrates are not diluted and filtered out as water travels through soil, so water wells: "http://www.bfhd.wa.gov/info/nitrate-nitrite.php

do you have plants or a refugium that can use up the nitrates (though they will go for ammonia first) ?
do you use a nitrate remover in the tank? i dont use it but with that level it might be worth it before it
gets into the tank,
on that note what do you do to your water before the tank? i.e. age it or filter it? by filter, i mean something that will lower nitrate, normal filtration for you would not work on nitrate.
do you use prime and how often are wc?

how good do your fish look?! or do you not have yet?

ganjero
09-24-2013, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the reply but I'm not sure how you came up with the 10ppm. I actually have 0.5ppm which is low.

I was more concern about the TDS. I guess I would also need to find the hardness and alkalinity, correct?

I do not have fish yet, I'm on planning stages.