PDA

View Full Version : Settling in new Discus (Questions about scaring them)

Sepincourt
09-29-2013, 02:59 AM
Hello guys,

After being interested in getting Discus for about 4 years, I finally got my first 10 Discus. They range in length between around 5 to 12cms. I spent about an hour yesterday getting them acclimated to their new quarantine tank.

(P.H 6.8, Temp 28c, GH 60-80ppm (3-5dGH)) (No detectable Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite)

The tank was inhabited by a large number of Tetras and Rams for several weeks prior to the Discus being added (removed the morning before adding the Discus). As well as large breeding catfish prior to that, so it is a mature tank.

The fish settled quickly and were swimming about (very cautiously) within the first hours (I was actually very surprised, all other fish I've owned have taken longer to become so adventurous). Today they are much more active and displaying better colours, I went to give them their first feeding and they completely freaked and spent the next few hours cowering in the corners. It was when I lifted the tank lid and put my hand above it to drop in food. (I assume that a predatory bird response?) They aren't so bad when it comes to movement in front of or around the tank as I've been to check on them several times without causing them to noticeably freak out.

I know Discus can be a very jumping/skittish fish when it comes to sudden movements, so I was aware this could be an issue. However this is where my questioning comes in, it's more about the psychology of Discus than anything.

Am I better off leaving these fish in peace as much as possible until they completely settle in. IE avoiding the tank as much as possible and being very subtle when I'm near it?

Or should I start off with my regular routine with them, and act as I normally would with my other fish tank.( Even though it will potentially take longer for them to settle in and add to their prolonged stress) Does this type of regular interaction during the settling in stage help them become accustomed too such things?

Basically can they be "trained" to be more relaxed with such things by being exposed by them early and it being a "normal" thing in their new home? I just wonder if being overly cautious with them will only end up making them each more of a scaredy-fish?

(Obviously I don't intent to do star jumps or run around in front of the tank or anything like that. Just being able to throw in their food, walk past, move large items around/over their tank without needing to actively slow down because of them)

Also are there any additional hints or tips anyone can provide into A) Helping settle in Discus and B) Helping Discus cope with sudden movements.

Thanks a lot for your time.

musicmarn1
09-29-2013, 03:25 AM
Lights off and no food for first 24 he's, lights off for three days, only on when you are about to drop in food then off again, move to other end of tank to feed, than where they are at. They need to adjust and rom lights are plenty for now.

flutterbug
09-29-2013, 09:41 AM
I had the same thing happen, after a while they were only scared of me closing it. I've had them for 5 weeks now and they are just now starting to not be scared of the lid. In my QT I have the black plastic front type lid. Initially I was thinking it is because the tank they were bred in probably had a glass lid and the difference startled them.. Anyway it does seem to have gotten much better. I also make sure to do it slowly now.

Rudustin
09-29-2013, 03:00 PM
I have a 120 gallon tank in the living room which I walk past constantly and the nine adult discus in that tank are not shy, don't hide and follow me if I come into the room looking for food. However, I have two tanks of sub adult and juvenile discus in my bedroom which I walk past less often and they still hide when I come into the room. When it is night time and their lights are on and no light or very little light is on the bedroom they are very active. They don't hide if I sit on the bed but if I come close to their tanks they do shy away. The adult discus that I have in the living room are at least two years old so they are more used to me and my movement. The bedroom discus I've had for about two months but I assume that I'm not active in that room as much. The living room tank is in a very lighted room and I have pets that move about all the time in that room so that may be also why they are acclimated. Where is your tank situated? Is there a lot of movement in that area? I also have cardinals in the living room tank and some cat fish and a pair of lyre tail sword tails so they have dither fish as well. I think it is just a matter of time for them to get used to you.

Sepincourt
09-30-2013, 09:40 AM
Most of them are settling in well there are still a few that look a little sad but I think they shall perk up. I've taken all your advice into account, thanks everyone.

Malazan
10-03-2013, 04:00 PM
they get used to you fairly quickly if you do WC daily

vendetta
10-04-2013, 11:23 AM
Don't worry... early they start to recognize you as the feeding man and after that they'll trust in you ;)