PDA

View Full Version : My first grow out tank

blueluv
10-01-2013, 03:29 PM
I'm starting out with 3" discus. I've been shopping around, so far my choices are; Josie, Hans, or Kenny. My supplies are as follows.

1. 55 gallon bare bottom tank of course
2. AC 70 with max 3 pre filter
3. Hydro V sponge filter
4. 1 Jager 250 watt heater
5. Pure aquarium balls as an added measure
6. Seachem matrix bio media
7. 2 water aging barrels..1-55 gallon and 1-75 gallon

NUTRITION; FDBWs with spinach,FDBWs with beef heart, sera discus granules, SBHF with pro growth. They will be Fed about 5 or 6 times a day.

Water filtration- GAC system which includes , sediment filter,granular activated carbon, UF filter and kdf for odor, chlorine and taste.

Water Change Regimen
2 100% WCs, 1 in the morning and 1 at night

So their you have it, this will be my first grow out project. I hope I haven't forgotten anything. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much

Oscarsx
10-01-2013, 04:40 PM
The only thing missing is the pictures!!!

blueluv
10-01-2013, 05:10 PM
The only thing missing is the pictures!!!

I will post some as soon as I can. I don't have a computer, so everything I do here is off my phone, not sure how to post pictures off my phone.

strawberryblonde
10-01-2013, 05:30 PM
Hi Chris!

Sound like you've got everything ready to go. Personally, I don't bother with 100% water changes. I just drain till I reach the top fins and then refill the tank. Doing it twice a day is a pretty good guarantee that the water is nice and fresh and full of good minerals for their little bodies to grow on.

Can't wait to see pics of your new babies!! =)

blueluv
10-01-2013, 05:35 PM
Thank you Toni
I'm excited to start this grow out tank and excited to see what Kenny is going to bring in on his October shipment. :D

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

musicmarn1
10-01-2013, 06:17 PM
i will have to live vicariously through you !!! so i want to follow everything since i cant get any more fish in my tank until i set up a new one *sniffle* only thing im hearing is that Jagers are having some issues i do have one but its not as good as the titanium heaters i got after hearing those things.

what fish are you getting? cant wait to hear every step ! i was going to try matrix too, but read it got clogged up and im better off with moving fluidized bed filters so thats where i have been focusing. let me know how it does i might still get some i hear its very good but can clog up quickly leaving only surface area. i wish i had MORE aging barrels thats my biggest downfall and more heaters, i break glass ones. i love my hydro sponge filter but i have hte moving bed filters too and seeing a much better result with that combo, i have a sump on my 55g and a canister on my 125 and both do great with sponge and moving bed.

my new discus are two weeks in now and just nibbling not really eating eating my beef heart mixes, i made two different batches and just got a new heart to try a simpler batch to get them going. i LOVE pro growth and garlic stuff from seachem i add them to the worms and they go absolutely beserk for Al;'s spinich FDBW. i wish my white worms would take off for a weekly treat.

im jealous you can do two big WC , i have to do one on each tank daily but if i can find a space for more indoor water barrels ill up it! you should get UBER growth on that regime, cant wait to see :)

I will be ordering discus from Kenny's October shipment and they will consist of 2.5"-3". I'm starting with an uncycled aquarium. My supplies are as follows.

3. Hydro V sponge filter
5. 1 Seeded sponge filter will be provided from Kenny
6. Pure aquarium balls as an added measure
7. Seachem matrix bio media
8. 2 water aging barrels..1-55 gallon and 1-75 gallon

NUTRITION; FDBWs with spinach,FDBWs with beef heart, sera discus granules, SBHF with pro growth. They will be Fed about 5 or 6 times a day.

Water filtration- GAC system which includes , sediment filter,granular activated carbon, UF filter and kdf for odor, chlorine and taste.

Water Change Regimen

So their you have it, this will be my first grow out project. I hope I haven't forgotten anything. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much

Discusdude7
10-01-2013, 06:45 PM
i will have to live vicariously through you !!! so i want to follow everything since i cant get any more fish in my tank until i set up a new one *sniffle* only thing im hearing is that Jagers are having some issues i do have one but its not as good as the titanium heaters i got after hearing those things.

what fish are you getting? cant wait to hear every step ! i was going to try matrix too, but read it got clogged up and im better off with moving fluidized bed filters so thats where i have been focusing. let me know how it does i might still get some i hear its very good but can clog up quickly leaving only surface area. i wish i had MORE aging barrels thats my biggest downfall and more heaters, i break glass ones. i love my hydro sponge filter but i have hte moving bed filters too and seeing a much better result with that combo, i have a sump on my 55g and a canister on my 125 and both do great with sponge and moving bed.

my new discus are two weeks in now and just nibbling not really eating eating my beef heart mixes, i made two different batches and just got a new heart to try a simpler batch to get them going. i LOVE pro growth and garlic stuff from seachem i add them to the worms and they go absolutely beserk for Al;'s spinich FDBW. i wish my white worms would take off for a weekly treat.

im jealous you can do two big WC , i have to do one on each tank daily but if i can find a space for more indoor water barrels ill up it! you should get UBER growth on that regime, cant wait to see :)

My jägers were always 4-5 degrees off.
I use the cobalt neo therm now. can't wait for pics!

blueluv
10-01-2013, 07:10 PM

Thank you for your reply. I'm excited about this new venture with discus. As far as your beef heart mix, try feeding it first thing in the morning when they're at their hungriest. :)

My jägers were always 4-5 degrees off.
I use the cobalt neo therm now. can't wait for pics!

Thank you for your reply. I've noticed some issues with the type of heater I'm using, noticed some moisture build up. I'll post pics of my set up and discus as soon as I can. I just figure out how to use tapatalk

Mikielh1984
10-01-2013, 07:42 PM
Looking forward to seeing your setup and the little ones. Raising my own juvies now so I always get excited to see what type others have!

Malazan
10-03-2013, 03:56 PM
2 more heaters for the 2 water aging barrels..1-55 gallon and 1-75 gallon ?

blueluv
10-03-2013, 06:00 PM
2 more heaters for the 2 water aging barrels..1-55 gallon and 1-75 gallon ?

Oops! Forgot to mention that, already have it covered. Thank you though:)

blueluv
10-05-2013, 12:03 PM
Ok everyone, so I've ordered my fish from Chicago Discus. I ordered , 4 fire reds, 2 cobalts and 2 leopards. I'm excited, I can't wait to see them in person. :D

Vieira
10-05-2013, 12:08 PM
Ok everyone, so I've ordered my fish from Chicago Discus. I ordered , 4 fire reds, 2 cobalts and 2 leopards. I'm excited, I can't wait to see them in person. :D

Nice!

Richard

blueluv
10-05-2013, 05:31 PM
Just confirmed and my discus will arrive on Tuesday. :D

blueluv
10-05-2013, 09:14 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/06/ygadazam.jpg

Allwin
10-05-2013, 09:24 PM
Nice selection and good luck growing them out.I just came back from my visit to chicagodiscus,im sure u will be excited.

musicmarn1
10-05-2013, 09:25 PM
Looks superb! What's in the other tank?

musicmarn1
10-05-2013, 09:25 PM
Ooh thread? Photos? If you posted and I missed I'm sorry!

Nice selection and good luck growing them out.I just came back from my visit to chicagodiscus,im sure u will be excited.

blueluv
10-05-2013, 09:32 PM

Awesome! I wish I lived in Chicago. This will be my first attempt at growing out discus. Thank you for the encouragement:)

Looks superb! What's in the other tank?

Thank you:D The other tank is empty, right now I'm sterilizing it. It's a 150 gallon with custom built stand. That's were they'll end up after I grow them out.

Allwin
10-05-2013, 11:11 PM
Hey Marnie, since i used to visit ChicagoDiscus now and then. i kind-of familiar with their pairs and their frys and their imports :)

Ooh thread? Photos? If you posted and I missed I'm sorry!

blueluv
10-08-2013, 12:47 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/09/yhy8ybes.jpg
My fish are here

bleublaze55
10-08-2013, 01:27 PM
Congrats! 2x daily water changes is a task! good luck! :)
Can't wait for some pictures!

strawberryblonde
10-08-2013, 01:34 PM
Woot woot! :bounce2::bounce::bounce2::bounce::bounce2:

Can't wait to see them once they've settled in and you can grab some pics of them. I see your dog is excited too..so cute!

blueluv
10-08-2013, 01:35 PM
Congrats! 2x daily water changes is a task! good luck! :)
Can't wait for some pictures!

Woot woot! :bounce2::bounce::bounce2::bounce::bounce2:

Can't wait to see them once they've settled in and you can grab some pics of them. I see your dog is excited too..so cute!

Thank you so much:) I'm excited as well, I'll take some pics, once they've settled in:D

blueluv
10-08-2013, 01:37 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/09/ema3yhed.jpg

Second Hand Pat
10-08-2013, 03:47 PM
Whew...I was wondering if you were going to open the box LOL. Cute pup Chris.

blueluv
10-08-2013, 04:42 PM
Lol.. took me a minute, but got the box open. It was sealed tighter than fort Knox. Lol. Thanks, I've had her since she was 6 weeks old.

blueluv
10-08-2013, 05:00 PM
So this is my first time growing out discus and ordering and delivered to my door. When would it be ok, to start feeding them? They're begging for food .

Allwin
10-08-2013, 05:28 PM
WOW, what a beautiful sight!!! have fun Chris and good luck on these guys..

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/09/ema3yhed.jpg

blueluv
10-08-2013, 06:24 PM
WOW, what a beautiful sight!!! have fun Chris and good luck on these guys..

Chicago Discus
10-08-2013, 07:00 PM
Chris WOW the old lady packs fish good, We can trade the dog next time LOL....Very cute...Im glad they arrived well and happy and are already looking for food thats a great sign. Im sure in your care they will do great keep us updated and if you have any concerns or need some advice we are a phone call away......:):).....Josie

blueluv
10-08-2013, 07:20 PM
Lol. Thank you, she's very precious to me, I've had her since she was 6 weeks old .

Thank you both so much, I'm pleased with my order, I'll keep up with updates.

jipee
10-09-2013, 12:34 AM
I'm starting out with 3" discus. I've been shopping around, so far my choices are; Josie, Hans, or Kenny. My supplies are as follows.

3. Hydro V sponge filter
5. Pure aquarium balls as an added measure
6. Seachem matrix bio media
7. 2 water aging barrels..1-55 gallon and 1-75 gallon

Water Change Regimen

sounds nice :)

blueluv
10-09-2013, 04:45 PM
sounds nice :)

Thank you

Discusdude7
10-11-2013, 02:07 PM
Pics?

blueluv
10-23-2013, 01:07 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkuZRId5ji4&feature=youtube_gdata_player
How am I doing so far?

STHH
10-23-2013, 02:09 AM
Nice and healthy fishes!

pastry
10-23-2013, 12:10 PM
Great Job! And sorry, at one point in the video all I could think was:

"Our whole universe was in a hot dense state, then nearly fourteen billion years ago expansion started... WAIT... the Earth began to cool, the autotrophs began to drool, neanderthals developed tools, we built a wall... WE BUILT THE PYRAMIDS!... math, science, history, unraveling the mysteries, that all started with the big bang... BANG!"

Second Hand Pat
10-23-2013, 12:15 PM
They look great Chris; cobalt, leopard and ? (could be wrong here. Remember I am a wilds keeper and know squat about domestics :) )

blueluv
10-23-2013, 12:21 PM
Great Job! And sorry, at one point in the video all I could think was:

"Our whole universe was in a hot dense state, then nearly fourteen billion years ago expansion started... WAIT... the Earth began to cool, the autotrophs began to drool, neanderthals developed tools, we built a wall... WE BUILT PYRAMID!... math, science, history, unraveling the mysteries, that all started with the big bang... BANG!"
Lol! Love that show

They look great Chris; cobalt, leopard and ? (could be wrong here. Remember I am a wilds keeper and know squat about domestics :) )
Thank you Pat. The others are blood reds:)

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

pastry
10-23-2013, 12:25 PM
I have to be honest though Chris... I finally looked up the words! My wife and I would always shout the "WE BUILT THE PYRAMIDS!"... now I'll impress her the next time :P

Meanwhile I can't wait to see your new crew grow & develop. I always love seeing pics of Josie's chicago blues and can't wait to see these develop!

Chicago Discus
10-23-2013, 12:47 PM
Good job Chris (Success) they are doing great keep it up and if you need any help we are a phone call away :).....Josie

blueluv
10-23-2013, 01:00 PM
I have to be honest though Chris... I finally looked up the words! My wife and I would always shout the "WE BUILT THE PYRAMIDS!"... now I'll impress her the next time :P

Meanwhile I can't wait to see your new crew grow & develop. I always love seeing pics of Josie's chicago blues and can't wait to see these develop!
Thank you. I'm dedicated to this hobby, never have been with any other until I came across discus. I'll work hard and give them what they require to grow big and healthy. :D

Good job Chris (Success) they are doing great keep it up and if you need any help we are a phone call away :).....Josie

Thank you. I really appreciate you saying that:)

Discusdude7
10-25-2013, 11:38 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkuZRId5ji4&feature=youtube_gdata_player
How am I doing so far?

Wow! Fish look healthy..great job! I think you will get excellent growth with that care regime..can't wait to see them at 7 inches :)

blueluv
10-26-2013, 12:06 AM
Thank you:) I'll work hard to get them to that size. :D

blueluv
12-14-2013, 01:56 PM
Just wanted to post that, I'll be stepping away from the hobby for a while,due to family issues. I'll get back into the hobby as soon as things get better here at home.

Kal-El
12-14-2013, 02:06 PM
Just wanted to post that, I'll be stepping away from the hobby for a while,due to family issues. I'll get back into the hobby as soon as things get better here at home.
Sorry to hear... as much as we love our hobby family comes first... did you end up selling your stock?

blueluv
12-14-2013, 02:08 PM
Sadly I did,I had no choice in the matter .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Kal-El
12-14-2013, 02:11 PM
The discus world will be here when things at the front settles down for you... wish you all but the best...

pastry
12-14-2013, 02:35 PM
same here, wish you the best. you'll be able to get right back in the mix. discus will always be here ready to drive you nuts and sooth you at the same time once able again.

Second Hand Pat
12-14-2013, 02:57 PM
Wishing you the best Chris. We will be here when you feel like stepping back into the hobby.
Pat

blueluv
12-14-2013, 04:24 PM
The discus world will be here when things at the front settles down for you... wish you all but the best...

Thank you kalel

blueluv
12-14-2013, 04:25 PM
same here, wish you the best. you'll be able to get right back in the mix. discus will always be here ready to drive you nuts and sooth you at the same time once able again.

Thank you pastry

blueluv
12-14-2013, 04:27 PM
Wishing you the best Chris. We will be here when you feel like stepping back into the hobby.
Pat

Thank you Pat and enjoy your retirement.