PDA

View Full Version : New second hand tank

donnacona
10-04-2013, 11:23 AM
Bought a second hand tank 30"*12"*24" wish it were a little bigger. Cut out the silicone last night ( looked a little shabby ) and plan to put new black silicone in today.
Is there anything I should do other than wash it out. It will be a planted tank with most of the plants around the driftwood at one end, which will leave more room for them to swim around and easier to vacuum up ( I sound like a housewife ) oh the girls are going to get me for that one.
What sub strait should be on the bottom along with the gravel. With this tank I'm planning to have 4 young discus Wild Blue I think they are the nicest ( I had a breeding pair many years ago ). Lot of new technics since I had them last. I have not seen anyone mention white worms as a food, is there something wrong with feeding them it, I used to make my own with oatmeal and water in the fridge. Easy and cheap, oh yes family don't like having worms in the fridge also frozen beef heart, but I noticed that now they add partially cooked beef liver.
Any come backs would be appreciated.;)
Stuart

troysdiiscus
10-04-2013, 11:43 AM
ok I will address the first part. Here is what I would do paint the back and bottom (and sides) white or beige whatever light color you have. With young juvies its best to go bare bottom with all the feeding and cleaning and wipping down tank everyday will have to do to grow them out. If you want to add a plant do so in a planter so it can be moved around. I would hold off on plants till they become atleast sub adults but certainly adults then you can move them to a bigger display tank and go all out...please please NO GRAVEL.....

donnacona
10-04-2013, 02:27 PM
ok I will address the first part. Here is what I would do paint the back and bottom (and sides) white or beige whatever light color you have. With young juvies its best to go bare bottom with all the feeding and cleaning and wipping down tank everyday will have to do to grow them out. If you want to add a plant do so in a planter so it can be moved around. I would hold off on plants till they become atleast sub adults but certainly adults then you can move them to a bigger display tank and go all out...please please NO GRAVEL.....

Thank You for the come back. I'll be buying the stock form another member of the Aquarium Society I belong to. I want sub adults so I don't loose them and the money.

troysdiiscus
10-04-2013, 04:12 PM
agreed I would still go with BB tank for now. You will find its alot easier to clean and feed and get them to adult size very soon. Then you can choose your decor as you want.