PDA

View Full Version : Qt tank ?

Palmetto deuce
10-07-2013, 08:22 PM
Currently I'm cycling a 90g tank. It has 2 inches of pfs for substrate, eheim 2217, and a couple of pieces of driftwood. Been cycling for 5 days , just started detecting nitrites. Plan to stock it with near adults. I want to get a 30G QT tank set up, without out going through the whole cycling process. Was thinking of buying a fluval U4 for the QT tank. Could I place it in my 90G , then transfer it to the 30G when I need to use a QT tank? I've been out of the hobby for a while,and never have used a QT tank before. Do you keep them up and running all the time or just when needed?

TIA
Michael

Keith Perkins
10-07-2013, 08:26 PM
Just when needed. I always try to keep a couple spare sponge filters going in case I need one.

Gorf
10-09-2013, 01:34 PM
I keep extra media in my main tank filters, ready to remove & put in the QT.

Your suggestion will also work, but bear in mind that following serious illness, you will need to sterilise the internet filter before putting it back in the main tank following hospitalisation.

Bear in mind that the bacteria in your main tank will reach a level that can process the ammonia produced by your fish. Therefore removing media, will short term reduce the processing power of your main tank's bacteria. The theory will be that if you remove one fish to QT, the amount of media you remove from the main tank is proportional. Once the fish recovers & placed back in the main tank, you will be light on bacteria for a week or so & therefore should feed less for that period. This applies to my system as well.

Our other option would be to just run a couple sponge filters in the QT & do daily 100% water changes or/and add Seachem Prime daily.

Palmetto deuce
10-12-2013, 03:12 PM
thanks for the help. I bought a sponge filter setup today, atp # 5 from Ken's . hope to stock my tank in a couple of weeks , by the time I'm ready for my next shipment which could be several months from now, the atp #5 sponge filter should be enough for the 29 gal qt tank?

Gorf
10-13-2013, 09:36 AM
Sorry, I've no idea what an atp #5 is - apart from being some sort of sponge filter. :(

Palmetto deuce
10-13-2013, 09:42 AM
it might be ati, not sure, it's the brand kenny sales. #5 is the size , his largest.