PDA

View Full Version : Can I avoid having a quarantine tank?

locodiscus
10-11-2013, 11:15 AM
I'm in the process of setting up my first discus tank. I plan on having five 4-inch discus and a cleaning crew comprised of two corys and a bristlenose pleco. I think I'm finally close to completing my fishless cycle. It's been two months and I'm finally starting to see a rise in nitrates. I'll be purchasing the discus from a different source than the cleaning crew. I'd like expert opinions on my planned method of stocking.

I plan on purchasing my cleaning crew first and putting them directly into the display tank where they will be the first residents. This would essentially start a quarantine period during which I can monitor their health and, at the same time, give my newly cycled tank a test run with actual fish before putting in the much pricier discus. After a few weeks of everything looking okay, I would then stock it with the discus. Is this acceptable or do I really need a separate quarantine tank? Would really prefer not having to maintain another tank.

Nu2Discus
10-11-2013, 12:44 PM
From how I understand it, you need to quarantine everything 6 weeks. The non discus fish need 6 weeks of quarantine to make sure they are ok. On top of that, the discus need to be quarantined 6 weeks also, and in a separate tank. Then after both sets of fish check out to be ok, then you take one discus, and of the non discus fish, and put them in a separate tank(tank #3), and let them quarantine another 2-3 weeks. If all that turns out ok, then you can combine.

If you rush things, you are potentially risking your fish getting each other sick. You also need to quarantine anything you put in the tank, like plants or any other type of livestock. They can all carry pathogens. Also if you use seeded material from other tanks, you are once again risking cross contamination.

troysdiiscus
10-11-2013, 12:50 PM
here is what I would do. I would QT the cleaning crew and add the discus to my main tank if it is ready.

Larry Bugg
10-11-2013, 01:32 PM
here is what I would do. I would QT the cleaning crew and add the discus to my main tank if it is ready.

+1

Also corys are a schooling fish and need to be in groups of 6 or more.

locodiscus
10-11-2013, 04:10 PM
From how I understand it, you need to quarantine everything 6 weeks. The non discus fish need 6 weeks of quarantine to make sure they are ok. On top of that, the discus need to be quarantined 6 weeks also, and in a separate tank. Then after both sets of fish check out to be ok, then you take one discus, and of the non discus fish, and put them in a separate tank(tank #3), and let them quarantine another 2-3 weeks. If all that turns out ok, then you can combine.

If you rush things, you are potentially risking your fish getting each other sick. You also need to quarantine anything you put in the tank, like plants or any other type of livestock. They can all carry pathogens. Also if you use seeded material from other tanks, you are once again risking cross contamination.

Wow, that just seems so over the top. If my non-discus fish are quarantined in the main tank for six weeks and there are no problems, I can't see why it wouldn't be safe to add the discus to it. The only danger I see is that the new discus could introduce pathogens putting the non-discus at risk. I'm not so concerned about the non-discus because they're just a fraction of the cost of the discus. Also, the discus will be coming from Discus Hans so I don't see that as a likely scenario.

Skip
10-11-2013, 04:48 PM
Skip clean up crew. .
Do water changes instead...
Then u avoid qt tank period

locodiscus
10-11-2013, 05:00 PM
Skip clean up crew. .

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. This whole quarantining business sounds a bit too OCD not that discus keeping isn't already. :D

pcsb23
10-11-2013, 05:20 PM
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. This whole quarantining business sounds a bit too OCD not that discus keeping isn't already. :DDoes it? or is it brought about after years of experience and dealing with lost fish, in some cases multiple lost fish? Not QT'ing is playing russian roulette - you'll win some, but then ................

Nu2Discus
10-11-2013, 05:49 PM
Every fish brings it's own set of pathogens and nasties. So your non discus fish will have their own set. And each non discus fish will most likely have different ones too. I'm sure all your non discus fish came from different places. So they'll all have their own set of nasties. So your non discus fish can in effect get each other sick.

Most likely if they are healthy and not stressed, the fish will have enough immune response in them to keep them healthy. However if you stress that fish, their immune system will become compromised. So they can now become sick, from their own pathogens, the same ones they at one time were immune to. That doesn't even take into account, the pathogens from other fish.

Your discus will also have their own set of pathogens. If you get all your discus at the same time, from the same breeder, they'll have similar pathogens on all of them. Once again, if they are not stressed, and their immune system is up to par, they'll most likely be able to keep themselves healthy. But if they are stressed, their immune response is compromised, and they can now get sick from their own pathogens, and from the other discus. This doesn't even take into account, pathogens from other non discus fish.

Anytime your water quality goes down, you stress your fish. Any time you move them, you stress them. So you are basically lowering their immunity to diseases. When you change their routine, change the scape of your tank, add fish, remove fish, you are changing their entire world, and in effect stressing them. And then can get sick from the stress.

Can you get away with less strict quarantine routines? Maybe you can. But all you need is to get a problem once, and you see what is involved in reversing it, it changes your perspective as to what you are willing to take chances on, and what you are not willing to compromise on. At the end of the day, only you will decide what's right for you.

Madaboutdiscus
10-11-2013, 06:29 PM
Skip clean up crew. .

This works well for me. No algae growth and minimal food lying around. Its great. Wcs best thing possible for discus.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Second Hand Pat
10-11-2013, 06:33 PM
Skip clean up crew. .

This works well for me. No algae growth and minimal food lying around. Its great. Wcs best thing possible for discus.

Until you need an QT for a sick fish, a temporary breeding tank, timeout tank or the main tank springs a leak. Always nice to have an extra tank sitting around.

Madaboutdiscus
10-11-2013, 07:00 PM
We do keep an empty one around but I try not to look its way too much or ill end up with more discus lol.

Tazalanche
10-11-2013, 07:10 PM
Also, the discus will be coming from Discus Hans so I don't see that as a likely scenario.Since you're planning on getting your discus from Hans, why not see if he has your other planned fish in stock so you could get everything from him in a single order?

Technically there should still be a QT, but your risk of not doing a separate QT of every species you plan to have in your tank is MUCH lower if everything is coming from the same source... especially if it is one of the species that he breeds himself.

Skip
10-11-2013, 07:50 PM
Until you need an QT for a sick fish, a temporary breeding tank, timeout tank or the main tank springs a leak. Always nice to have an extra tank sitting around.

true.. i took it as OP wanted fast way to get his discus in place..

but yes.. extra tanks are always great.. :) jus incase

Gorf
10-12-2013, 04:26 AM
I agree with the other posts & would like to add something you may have missed.

To agree with the above posts, yes Quarantine is essential, Nu2Discus has some excellent info there.

However a cleanup crew? For a tank to be dirty enough for a cleanup crew, then it's too dirty for Discus. Keep Corys by all means, but not to clean up - you do that yourself during regular water changes.

Something you may have missed.. you've presumably cycled the tank for full stocking. However by adding the cleanups first, you will be understocking by quite a margin. This means that by the time you add the Discus your bacteria culture will have reduced to the level of the cleanup crew - which is pretty light compared to Discus. Then you add the Discus & you'll get a mini-cycle on your hands. Stressed Discus with Ammonia & Nitrites present do not go well together.

Agreeing with the others, add Discus first, then allow then to settle in - which could take 2 months or more. Then add the Corys in the normal way. Quarantine the Corys for 6 weeks, then add a sacrificial Discus to the Quarantine with them & leave then together for 2 weeks.

I'd re-think that clean-up idea though.

Quarantine tanks are essential fishkeeping for any type of fish.

locodiscus
10-12-2013, 08:36 AM
Thanks everybody for all the advice. As Tazalanche suggested, I'll try to get everything from Hans. He has some sort of zebra pleco that can help with algae control. I'll ask him if he has some bottom feeders as well. I have sand and driftwood so I figured having something like corys would really help me with cleanup of food that gets to the bottom. If Hans doesn't have any, I'll properly QT with my empty 20-gallon. @Gorf - great point about how my bio capacity would be too low for discus if I start out with just the cleaning crew. Didn't think of that.

strawberryblonde
10-12-2013, 11:00 AM
Cory's are good for eating up any leftover bits on the sand, but there's really no need for a pleco in the tank and you'll want at least 5 of them. If you find you have algae problems, clean more and light the tank less. The pleco will just add poop to the tank.

tonytheboss1
10-13-2013, 05:32 PM
:bandana: When you say "avoid having a quarantine tank" I get the notion of a riverboat gambler. The odds of success can only increase w/ a Q/T tank. There are no minuses to having a Q/T tank. Whether it's for new additions, ailing fish or those not playing well with others it's win, win, win. Choosing how to or what to stock is gonna be an individual decision. You mentioned 'clean up crew', well that's you!! Having bottom feeders will help a little but will not absolve you of cleaning duties. I would establish the Discus first in this scenario & Q/T the cats before adding to the main. As 'Toni' said more W/C's & less light will most likely fix your algae problem. "T"

locodiscus
10-14-2013, 01:21 PM
Thanks Toni and Tony. You've convinced me. No cleanup crew except for me. Understanding now that, yeah, there might be a little less algae and food buildup but a lot more poop! Another motivation for the cleanup crew was to test out my newly cycled tank before adding $500 worth of discus. Now understand that my plan was actually creating more risks. Thanks again for the valuable info!

strawberryblonde
10-14-2013, 01:34 PM
Can't wait to see pics of the new tank filled with new discus when you get them! Good choice on adding them directly to the tank without any other inhabitants for now.

You can always buy the cories and QT them in a 20g for two weeks, then add one of your discus to that tank for another 2 weeks to make sure it's all good.

tonytheboss1
10-14-2013, 07:13 PM
Thanks Toni and Tony. You've convinced me.

:bandana: GREAT!! Nice & slow. You'll enjoy much more. Just as a side note Raphael Cats (spotted or striped) are pretty docile neighbors. Bottom feeders, night stalkers & are fine alone or group. "T"

Rudustin
10-14-2013, 09:44 PM
I have two QT tanks that are twenty gallon longs. I am fully stocked at the moment and would not use them unless there was illness, which knock on wood, there hasn't been any. But it does make me feel more comfortable to know that I have them. I also have a question of anyone answering this post which is: Do QT tanks need to have fish continually while not in actual use to continue the bio load in the filter? Does the filter lose it's cycle with nothing in it even though they were used for grow out tanks about six weeks ago?

tonytheboss1
10-16-2013, 12:20 PM
I also have a question of anyone answering this post which is: Do QT tanks need to have fish continually while not in actual use to continue the bio load in the filter? Does the filter lose it's cycle with nothing in it even though they were used for grow out tanks about six weeks ago?

:bandana: You don't have to keep fish in the tank but w/out some 'food' source, the bacteria in the filter will die. I just take one of my filters off the main if I need to set up real quick. (sick or rescue)Clean it out completely when I'm done, replace the media & start over. If I'm planning an addition I have time to seed the spare A/C 300 with existing media & when I'm done clean it all out for the next time. "T"

PS six wks is way too long. bacteria is dead. gotta start over.

Gorf
10-16-2013, 01:26 PM
I have a tray in one of my main tank filters with media for the quarantine filter. When & if needed, I can get the QT up, cycled & running in about 2 hours. Afterwards, I'd throw away the media in the QT, therefore keeping as good quarantine as I can.

Elliots
10-16-2013, 02:00 PM
You can avoid a quarantine tank but it is not a good idea. If you have the room get one. Keep an extra filter sponge in your regular tank so you can use your quarantine tank without cycling, just hope your sponge does not infect your new fish. If you do not quarantine have a wide variety of medications available. Consider the cost of Discus vs. the cost of a quarantine tank before you decide. Now I have too many Discus to not quarantine. I did not quarantine many times and twice I had to treat with metro. If you go to a reliable LFS or SD sponsor and check your fish before buying I would guess the chances of a problem at less than 20% and possibly much lower. Just remember the odds may be in you favor but the loss is too great!

Rudustin
10-16-2013, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the advise about losing the cycle after six weeks. I do have extra foam filters in my other tanks so I could seed the filters in the QT tanks.

OC Discus
10-16-2013, 09:24 PM
What is the minimum size and set up for a quarantine tank?

I agree with the other posts & would like to add something you may have missed.

To agree with the above posts, yes Quarantine is essential, Nu2Discus has some excellent info there.

However a cleanup crew? For a tank to be dirty enough for a cleanup crew, then it's too dirty for Discus. Keep Corys by all means, but not to clean up - you do that yourself during regular water changes.

Something you may have missed.. you've presumably cycled the tank for full stocking. However by adding the cleanups first, you will be understocking by quite a margin. This means that by the time you add the Discus your bacteria culture will have reduced to the level of the cleanup crew - which is pretty light compared to Discus. Then you add the Discus & you'll get a mini-cycle on your hands. Stressed Discus with Ammonia & Nitrites present do not go well together.

Agreeing with the others, add Discus first, then allow then to settle in - which could take 2 months or more. Then add the Corys in the normal way. Quarantine the Corys for 6 weeks, then add a sacrificial Discus to the Quarantine with them & leave then together for 2 weeks.

I'd re-think that clean-up idea though.

Quarantine tanks are essential fishkeeping for any type of fish.

Gorf
10-17-2013, 05:44 AM
My quarantine tank is 90 litres & I have an Eheim Ecco Pro filter standing by with an Eheim Jagar 150W heater.

I figure that with 90 litres, I can quarantine 1 or 2 Discus with very regular water changes. My Display tank has 6 Discus.
I have a duplicate & 100% separate quarantine set-up for my Oranda tank. My Betta tank doesn't need a quarantine because he's the only occupant.

It really depends on your fish stock & future intentions. If you have a display tank of 20 Discus, then being able to quarantine 2 fish is probably not enough.

OC Discus
10-17-2013, 12:07 PM
Is 10 gallon suitable for quarantine of 1-2 discus?

My quarantine tank is 90 litres & I have an Eheim Ecco Pro filter standing by with an Eheim Jagar 150W heater.

I figure that with 90 litres, I can quarantine 1 or 2 Discus with very regular water changes. My Display tank has 6 Discus.
I have a duplicate & 100% separate quarantine set-up for my Oranda tank. My Betta tank doesn't need a quarantine because he's the only occupant.

It really depends on your fish stock & future intentions. If you have a display tank of 20 Discus, then being able to quarantine 2 fish is probably not enough.

Gorf
10-17-2013, 02:52 PM
I make 10 US gals = 37 litres. Pretty small. I suppose it depends on the size of the Discus? Sub-adult, or adult, no. Juveniles could be ok with lots of water changes.

Tazalanche
10-17-2013, 03:05 PM
Is 10 gallon suitable for quarantine of 1-2 discus?I wouldn't recommend anything smaller than a 20 gallon tall for a QT tank.

ZiggyS
10-19-2013, 10:43 PM
As a fairly new keeper of discus I fell into the trap of not qt a new discus and have paid the price. I lost 4 discus from my main display tank and the new fish (which was damn expensive) became very I'll indeed. He is currently being treated in my hospital tank with antibiotics and thankfully is responding. IN my limited but hard fought experience, It's cheaper and far safer to have a qt tank for ALL new fish than it is to buy them and watch them die.