PDA

View Full Version : Do I cover my sump?

pastry
10-12-2013, 10:25 PM
Alright, I'm about 99.99999% sure this is a dumb question but I'd rather ask & be safe: When I put my new sump under my tank, will any moisture affect the stand?

I'm guessing "no" since so many people (I think) don't cover them. Even when they are under cabinet style tanks (which mine is). I will add that I put a slab of wood across the top of the stand/cabinet so when I'm looking into the cabinet and look up then I don't see the bottom of the tank (glass) but just wood. Will that wood be okay?

Alright, well thanks for any guidance and/or experiences ahead of time. -Elliot

azmtns
10-12-2013, 10:55 PM
The moisture should not affect your stand, but the evaporation is very high. I have a 210 gallon tank and a sump underneath and I have to cover most of my sump during the winter. I say most, because there is a slanted section that I can not cover with a piece of glass. Plus the hoses are in this slanted section. The moisture that the sump generates in my house is quite obvious during the winter. Covering it does help.

pastry
10-12-2013, 11:24 PM
Thanks thanks! Alright then, I'll just use the cover with the bin I'm using (Rubbermaid tote) and make some notches for the different tubes. Thanks so much azmtns!