PDA

View Full Version : Growth rates

ZiggyS
10-19-2013, 10:23 PM
Hi folks all,
I realise that growth rates of juveniles toward adulthood is dependent on a number of factors such as water parameters, food quality and meal frequency/size etc and that additionally there will be the runts versus the faster growers. However, in your experience, what would you expect he average growth rate to be per month for a healthy discus?

Kal-El
10-19-2013, 10:25 PM
1" per month is what a healthy juvie can achieve if all requirements are met.

Skip
10-19-2013, 10:28 PM
1" per month.. first 4 months.. . Approx.. depends on what you all ready stated. . Plus genetics.. some strains are faster than others..

After that it slows down a lot.. but still grows.. jus slower

ZiggyS
10-19-2013, 10:37 PM
Thanks folks, appreciated. Seems one of my juvies didn't read the growth instructions! He is still small and not growing at the same rate as his tank mates. Was wondering if I was doing something wrong but I think he may just be the runt and is at the end of the pecking order.

Skip
10-19-2013, 10:44 PM
Both are plausible. . What size were they when you got them. How long you have them.

ZiggyS
10-19-2013, 10:56 PM
There were 5 juvies in that bunch, about 2" when I got them 8 weeks ago. All but that 1 have grown as you would expect during the last 8 weeks but this one in particular doesn't seem to be matching his tank mates. He is the bottom on the hierarchy and so I feed him away from the others so that at least he gets a look in. I also do t like his shape which is becoming more and more football shaped rather than round. I will keep going with him and perhaps use him as the "sacrificial lamb" when I test the new kid waiting in the qt tank.

timmy82
10-20-2013, 12:48 AM
Around 1 inch a month I find for the 1st 3 months then it does slow a little but is all depending on the genetic. What volume of water are you changing per day? I aim at 90% + a day with 6 feeds minimum.
I would keep him together with the rest because if you remove him their will be another that will take his place. Any sign of worms ect? In the mean time I would give them a bit of epson salt to give them all a good flush out as a start.

ZiggyS
10-20-2013, 04:03 AM
Thanks Timmy. Yep, I will be keeping him there in the tank with the others.

John_Nicholson
10-20-2013, 09:42 AM
Sounds like the nature of the pecking order to me. You almost always have one that just doesn't do well. His job is to take abuse from the others so that they grow well.

-john