PDA

View Full Version : How to feed a shy discus?

Jameshill247
10-24-2013, 12:12 PM
I have 5 discus at the moment and as discussed in my other threads they are quite possibly stunted so upped the feeding... Lesson learned

But... 4 of my discus were bought at the same time and from the same place by the person that I got them from and they were kept In his tank for about 4 months I guess

Came to my tank and they were all shy for the first week but soon rushed to the front at feeding times

Did have 5 at first but lost one whilst I was away and replaced it with the same time and this one is not stunted so stands a good chance of growing still but it's so shy!

Not so much of the other fish so it's not being bullied... After all it's the largest one!

But when I come to the tank to feed it bolts away behind the driftwood

I have tried sticking some FD tubifex down by it but it then flees anytime I go near it

It does eat the bits that float past it but not as enthusiastic as the others I have had it in my tank for about a month and a bit now maybe 2 months so I don't think it's sick as it's been like this since the start

Any ideas how I can overcome this?

du3ce
10-24-2013, 12:22 PM
Might be a sign of bullying

samsung galaxy s3

Jameshill247
10-24-2013, 12:29 PM
Might be a sign of bullying

samsung galaxy s3

Yeah it was thinking this but they seem to interact pretty well with each other

It's any time I come near the tank it hides away which is a shame as it's the best looking one in the tank

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd113/jameshill_247/Discus%20Tank/IMG_1973.jpg

John_Nicholson
10-24-2013, 12:32 PM
Most of the time I find a discus is shy either when it is sick or when the environment is not right. Happy, healthy discus are not shy. If you read many of my post you will know that I am against new discus owners raising juveniles in planted tanks. It is extremely hard to do so and have success. I would concentrate on getting/keeping the water as clean as possible and let everything else work its way out.

0john

Jameshill247
10-24-2013, 12:50 PM
Most of the time I find a discus is shy either when it is sick or when the environment is not right. Happy, healthy discus are not shy. If you read many of my post you will know that I am against new discus owners raising juveniles in planted tanks. It is extremely hard to do so and have success. I would concentrate on getting/keeping the water as clean as possible and let everything else work its way out.

0john

Yeah that could well be the case then

All the others have always been fine and rush to the front

Maybe in time it will become less shy

Thanks for the advice I know raising discus is normally done bare bottom but this tank is also a tank I want to look at and not just about raising the discus

Of course I do my best to raise them as healthy as I can and reading up on here is helping

Jameshill247
01-19-2014, 02:54 PM
Update...

After lots of reading up on here and plantedtank my fish are looking an awful lot better

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd113/jameshill_247/Discus%20Tank/873E4410-EDA8-4223-9F86-33C80EF0C3A0.jpg (http://s226.photobucket.com/user/jameshill_247/media/Discus%20Tank/873E4410-EDA8-4223-9F86-33C80EF0C3A0.jpg.html)

They don't hide from me anymore and they take the beefheart mix about 5 times a day

Thanks for the help

Trier20
01-20-2014, 01:04 AM
I can see by their color they are much happier. I'm glad that you used your brain and read and learned. Others should use this as an example that if you simply read things yourselves, just do a little investigating, you will learn much more than asking question after question after question. Well done!

musicmarn1
01-20-2014, 02:58 AM
well bloody done ! :D huge improvement !

timmy82
01-20-2014, 03:16 AM
I can see by their color they are much happier. I'm glad that you used your brain and read and learned. Others should use this as an example that if you simply read things yourselves, just do a little investigating, you will learn much more than asking question after question after question. Well done!

Too true. Maybe some sort of pre approval sticky that has to be read before membership activated? It does occur fairly often over and over in one way or another the same questions keep filling up the new feeds when alot can be answered in a generic sticky?

Ryan
01-20-2014, 09:14 AM
^ There are plenty of sticky threads in the Beginner forum about basic discus tank setup and care. Whether people choose to read then or ignore them is really up to them.

Jameshill247
01-20-2014, 07:57 PM
Thanks very much the blues have spawned a few times but in a community tank it's not gonna happen and at this stage I can't set the breeding tanks up

Pretty pleased with them now though... just waiting for the plants to grow out now

Sent from my HP Slate 7 using Tapatalk

timmy82
01-20-2014, 08:24 PM
^ There are plenty of sticky threads in the Beginner forum about basic discus tank setup and care. Whether people choose to read then or ignore them is really up to them.

Yes that is true if there was a way to have a function so new members with nil post can't post till they have viewed some specified sticky's may eliminate alot of un needed web space?