PDA

View Full Version : ideas and problems with tanks

mattyb
10-25-2013, 08:39 PM
As some of you guys know I'm currently setting up my 225G tank, I want to go different to this 80G

http://i1331.photobucket.com/albums/w591/mattyb321/20131015_175843_zpsad6e9e4d.jpg

I started having a few problems with the planted tank with the 3mm gravel, I noticed that the discus would go to back off tank if seen any fast movements, I thought it might of been because of the overcrowding, that's why I brought a 225G, last night I had to move my 80G to other side of room so my big tank can get moved in into place, I put all my discus in a 50L esky, took all my plants out and I was shocked. .... The amount of waste sitting around the plants was so bad, I stired it up a little And the tank water was black, could not believe it. ... Now I know why my discus ain't been to happy lately. So I did a 100% change and cleaned nearly all the gravel. Moved the tank, re planted than discus back in (took 5 hours, wife wasn't happy lol)

how do people over come waste around plants? Remove all plants than c clean?

So for my new 225G I decided to go a biotope, a lot easier to clean, as I have been told pool filter sand is the way to go, or should I go bare bottom? I'm going to stick to no plants what so ever, just lots of drift wood as it will go very well with the full custom 3d background. Anyone got any other ideas or suggestions that will be great :) Thank you

http://i1331.photobucket.com/albums/w591/mattyb321/20131018_062115_zpsc2111448.jpg

http://i1331.photobucket.com/albums/w591/mattyb321/20131019_071229_zps6bbfd566.jpg

zimmjeff
10-25-2013, 09:03 PM
that should almost be a sticky. Jeff

Frankr409
10-25-2013, 09:16 PM
I use sand base, and twice daily I have a power head that blows across the bottom of the tank for a half an hour. It raises everything into the water column and is thus taken out by the filters. Nothing permeates the sand, similar to bare tanks.

mattyb
10-26-2013, 04:12 AM
I use sand base, and twice daily I have a power head that blows across the bottom of the tank for a half an hour. It raises everything into the water column and is thus taken out by the filters. Nothing permeates the sand, similar to bare tanks.

That's a good idea but I dont mind cleaning the sand every time I do a water change, I would do your idea but I'm only running a canister filter so if I was blowing up the waste would mean a lot more cleaning for filter

Frankr409
10-26-2013, 05:34 AM
That's a good idea but I dont mind cleaning the sand every time I do a water change, I would do your idea but I'm only running a canister filter so if I was blowing up the waste would mean a lot more cleaning for filter
On the tank where I am doing this, I change the filter pads once per month. I am looking forward to the new tank which will include a sump. I will have some 100 micron filter socks to do some of the screening before it goes through the other chambers

plecocicho
10-26-2013, 08:38 AM
I have a little coarser pool sand in my tank. Valisnerias grow init without the problem. Just wacum around the plants too, you had to dense plant coverage, hence huge buildup of mulm. Thats why i dont recommend carpate planting for discus aquariums, even if you dont feed your fish bh too much feaces and unetean food acumulates beneath the carpet. I also take advantage of snails in my aquarium as theyeat any acumulated food around the roots.

rbarn
10-26-2013, 09:53 AM
You can also do anubias and java fern and moss tied to drift wood or sheets of square grid plastic like used in sewing. You dont have to plant the plants in the substrate.
http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/8827-Creating-a-plant-wall -- for ideas of what is possible.

Swords in a simple clay pot always look nice in a bare bottom too.

mattyb
10-26-2013, 12:56 PM
You can also do anubias and java fern and moss tied to drift wood or sheets of square grid plastic like used in sewing. You dont have to plant the plants in the substrate.
http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/8827-Creating-a-plant-wall -- for ideas of what is possible.

Swords in a simple clay pot always look nice in a bare bottom too.

Yeah I have a bit of moss on drift wood in my current tank and will be doing the same in New tank, will look into website, Thanks

rbarn
10-26-2013, 01:15 PM
Yeah I have a bit of moss on drift wood in my current tank and will be doing the same in New tank, will look into website, Thanks

Prepare to be blown away.......

Second Hand Pat
10-26-2013, 01:23 PM
Prepare to be blown away.......

WOW...I was

mattyb
10-26-2013, 09:23 PM
That crazy... a 900G tank. ... I thought my 225G was big

rbarn
10-27-2013, 09:36 AM
That crazy... a 900G tank. ... I thought my 225G was big

More like 1,500+ gallons - he says it is a "6,000L" tank.

ErickC
10-27-2013, 10:04 PM
Now those are some nice tanks!

mattyb
10-28-2013, 09:38 AM
Now back to topic, lol I ended up getting some play sand brand richgro as I know it safe some a few people here use it

Demosthenes
10-28-2013, 08:21 PM
I keep reading on here about people being horrified to find a build up in the substrate when they uproot their well-established plants. I think it's a common misconception that that buildup is necessarily "dirty" or "toxic" or that it effects water quality in any way. When mulm is trapped in the roots of plants it is broken down and the nutrients/toxins are absorbed (assuming your plants are actually growing and the amount of waste is within reason). The substance that is left over, and that builds up in the substrate, is essentially just dirt. It's not the same thing as if you just never clean your gravel in an un-planted tank.

dirtyplants
10-29-2013, 12:17 AM
Ditto,
I just pulled out an amazon plant lots of clayish/soil like sediment, lots of air in the gravel from the roots. Very healthy good bacteria in that sediment. Plants take decaying plants and such and trap in the root base eventually bacteria decompose leaf matter and turns it into soil. Eco systems are just incredible love that bacteria.

mattyb
10-29-2013, 08:08 AM
I keep reading on here about people being horrified to find a build up in the substrate when they uproot their well-established plants. I think it's a common misconception that that buildup is necessarily "dirty" or "toxic" or that it effects water quality in any way. When mulm is trapped in the roots of plants it is broken down and the nutrients/toxins are absorbed (assuming your plants are actually growing and the amount of waste is within reason). The substance that is left over, and that builds up in the substrate, is essentially just dirt. It's not the same thing as if you just never clean your gravel in an un-planted tank.

Wow, thank you for this information, and Defently growing plants, trimming down every 2 weeks

rbarn
10-29-2013, 08:25 AM

This is true in nature, but our tanks only mimic nature. The amount of food discus require to be healthy can and will easily overpower the system you are describing. The build up of hydrogen sulfide gas in the substrate is also a problem.

dirtyplants
10-29-2013, 05:24 PM
The roots spread through the substrate which need oxygen, by traveling through the substrate the roots create channels which help to oxygenate the substrate, if the substrate is heated then the roots grow fast and plentiful, and you form a natural column of warm water rising and cold the filling into the substrate. This aids with oxygenation of the substrate. Hydrogen sulfate gas build up is usually found in non oxygenated substrates. Where the substrate become compacted only allowing a certain type of bacteria to exist. Healthy plant roots do wonders for the health of the tank.

Frankr409
10-29-2013, 05:36 PM
The roots spread through the substrate which need oxygen, by traveling through the substrate the roots create channels which help to oxygenate the substrate, if the substrate is heated then the roots grow fast and plentiful, and you form a natural column of warm water rising and cold the filling into the substrate. This aids with oxygenation of the substrate. Hydrogen sulfate gas build up is usually found in non oxygenated substrates. Where the substrate become compacted only allowing a certain type of bacteria to exist. Healthy plant roots do wonders for the health of the tank. nice explanation, I think there are many misconceptions about sour sand. In my tank, those roots are just about every place you can think of.