PDA

View Full Version : Trouble finding backgrounds

LisaT
11-02-2013, 02:38 PM
As much as I don't want to, I've decided to go with a bare bottom tank. I think my tank will mainly hold driftwood and possibly a few silk plants if I can find ones that look realistic. I've had no luck with live aquarium plants in the past (despite the fact that I'm an avid gardener). So, I was thinking about a light green tank background. I can't seem to find nice backgrounds anywhere. I've considered poster board, but it will likely get wet and ruined. Any suggestions? I don't want a black background which seems to be popular. I've had nothing but black on my other tanks and I'm really tired of it. Thanks in advance!

kirkp
11-02-2013, 03:15 PM
You could try painting the back on the outside of the tank. Get the color you like and go for it. I've done it on all my tanks and have had no problems.
Kirk

joanstone
11-02-2013, 03:27 PM
I use fabric and just velcro it on.

Organic Farmer
11-02-2013, 03:27 PM
You could try using rigid foam insulation,comes in 4 by 8 sheets .Its light blue ,cut it so it fits in between the plastic frame around the tank.If you want to change color just use contact paper.Good luck,Tom

stangmus
11-02-2013, 03:34 PM
Vinyl tablecloths are cheap and come in many different colors. Just cut to size and tape to back of tank.

pHii
11-02-2013, 03:50 PM
I like blue mirror

Markleman
11-03-2013, 12:34 PM
I have always painted mine or used a 3-d background. Have never had issue with either.

Bill63SG
11-03-2013, 12:48 PM
paint with a latex paint.Easy to remove when you want to change color.Tho you can get away with it,black is not the best color for discus.They tend to darken up,and can cause some pigeon bloods to pepper.

OC Discus
11-03-2013, 11:29 PM
The larger big box stores like Petco and Petsmart have some variety in pre-cut and cut to fit backgrounds. You can also do a google search for aquarium backgrounds and find a huge selection to order from.

I tried plain white as many of the breeders use, but for a display tank I wanted more color. Found one at Petco precut that is a green plant background. Since I am growing out young discus, I don't have anything in the tank except one piece of artificial driftwood. Green seemed like the best contrasting color and looks more natural.

ericatdallas
11-07-2013, 10:06 AM
Go with paint, it looks fine if you want solid colors. I actually pickup the 'reject' paint at lowes or home depot... usually the light green and blue paint is left behind and sold for like $2 a can or something (varies by location).

That is if you're not too picky with the colors. I picked up the perfect shade of blue a few years ago from Home Depot that way.

decoy50
11-07-2013, 01:17 PM
You can also buy a sheet of foam insulation from Home Depot/Lowes for around $12, paint it whatever color you like and tape it to the back/side panels. If you decide you don't like the color, you can always take it off & paint it again. Plus it has the added benefit of trapping the heat from your aquarium, which will cause your heater to run less. The sheets are huge too, you'll have enough for several tanks.