PDA

View Full Version : Help need with aggressive Yellow Marlboro

tat
11-04-2013, 08:50 PM
Hello,

I guess this is one widely discussed topic. I have read some of the topics on the subject, but couldn't be sure what options do I have.

These are my discus (330L tank):
13cm Albino Yellow Crystal
10/11cm Ocean Green
10/11cm Yellow Marlboro
7/8cm blue diamond
5cm red marlboro (staunted)

The situation is, I think the Yellow Crystal and the Yellow Marlboro formed a pair. They are together all the time, and I already saw them doing some kind of coupling ritual.
The Ocean Green was introduced just 2 weeks ago, and from day one, Yellow Marlboro spends half of the day attacking him with bites and with his tail.

I think the thing is getting serious, the Ocean Green spends the whole day hidden behind the plants, but luckily he is a strong guy, and never misses a good meal.

But as things does not seem to improve at all, I added a net to make a division on the aquarium. The fish still can pass through from one side to another, but I hope the agressions slow a bit....

Next wednesday I will receive a 13cm Red StarDust, supposedly male. Not sure if it is a good idea....

What is your opinion?
What do you recommend me?
I appreciate any help, of just some urls to read about this subject.

Thanks alot!

The main group of discus:
http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/7381/leyc.jpg

The Aquarium with the dividing net:
http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/3564/6sl5.jpg

The poor Ocean Green, all dark and stressed, and with visible marks of the bites:
(I also noticed the eyes of the fish are quit big, I wonder if he will grow anything more...)
http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/7456/bko9.jpg

OC Discus
11-04-2013, 09:26 PM
I'm sure the experts will have a lot to say. The tank looks small with all the plants. The two big fish look good, but it doesn't leave much for the newbie to do except hide. If they had all grown up together the group may get along better. Is another tank an option? A smaller breeding tank for the big couple?

tat
11-04-2013, 09:42 PM
I'm sure the experts will have a lot to say. The tank looks small with all the plants. The two big fish look good, but it doesn't leave much for the newbie to do except hide. If they had all grown up together the group may get along better. Is another tank an option? A smaller breeding tank for the big couple?

The tank is 330L/87G, should be enough to 6/7 discus, I suppose. I have no time and money to setup an additional tank.

I think the plants steal some swiming space , but at the same time provides places for them to hide.

timmy82
11-04-2013, 10:37 PM
The stocking ratio isn't too bad with 1 more it may share the agression but at this point you need to decide what you want. Is it to breed them ? Or Is it to display them? Those 2 just want to breed and they will bail the rest up down 1 end. The only answer if you want them to breed is another BB tank just for them.

OC Discus
11-04-2013, 11:13 PM
You could reduce aggression by adding more fish too- up to 9 in that tank. How long have you had the pair? the stunted fish? the blue one? People on here are pretty passionate about how discus should be raised, which you will soon see. The more heavily stocked you go the more feeding and water changes you need to do. You'll have five when the new one comes. A few more small ones would certainly disperse the aggression. But you will get a lot of flack about doing that in a planted tank. Good luck.

The tank is 330L/87G, should be enough to 6/7 discus, I suppose. I have no time and money to setup an additional tank.

I think the plants steal some swiming space , but at the same time provides places for them to hide.

tat
11-05-2013, 07:53 AM
The stocking ratio isn't too bad with 1 more it may share the agression but at this point you need to decide what you want. Is it to breed them ? Or Is it to display them? Those 2 just want to breed and they will bail the rest up down 1 end. The only answer if you want them to breed is another BB tank just for them.

I don't want to breed, I just want happy and healthy fish, that I enjoy taking care.

tat
11-05-2013, 07:56 AM
You could reduce aggression by adding more fish too- up to 9 in that tank. How long have you had the pair? the stunted fish? the blue one? People on here are pretty passionate about how discus should be raised, which you will soon see. The more heavily stocked you go the more feeding and water changes you need to do. You'll have five when the new one comes. A few more small ones would certainly disperse the aggression. But you will get a lot of flack about doing that in a planted tank. Good luck.

The smaller ones, are coming from a previous tank, they are with me for 1 year. The blue diamond seems to be a little bigger now, but both didn't grow more then 1cm on my hands.

My idea adding one more, is to disperse the aggression as you said. But if the albino and the yellow Marlboro are a real couple, the male will defend his position until the end of his days, don't you think?

OC Discus
11-05-2013, 09:51 AM
I've never bred discus, but I think he will defend the eggs/nest. He may not pursue the others until they die.

tat
11-07-2013, 04:56 PM
Hello,

I added a new discu to the aquarium, in order to shar the agression.
I have now:
13cm Albino Yellow Crystal and 10/11cm Yellow Marlboro ; a possible couple
10/11cm Ocean Green
13cm Red Star Dust
7/8cm blue diamond

But didn't help at all!

The possible couple are chasing together both the Ocean Green, and specially the newcomer.
They work as a team, and the agression are at levels I never saw before.

I really don't know what do Should I wait a little longer and see if they chill out, or should I add ASAP a net and divide the discus?
Would be a good idea to separate the couple?

Thanks for your help!

OC Discus
11-07-2013, 11:40 PM
One rule of thumb when adding new fish, to keep down aggression, is to completely re-decorate the tank. That makes the old fish find a new territory and takes some focus off the newbies.

The tank is big enough for the fish. Re-decorating may help the new fish adapt.

Hello,

I added a new discu to the aquarium, in order to shar the agression.
I have now:
13cm Albino Yellow Crystal and 10/11cm Yellow Marlboro ; a possible couple
10/11cm Ocean Green
13cm Red Star Dust
7/8cm blue diamond

But didn't help at all!

The possible couple are chasing together both the Ocean Green, and specially the newcomer.
They work as a team, and the agression are at levels I never saw before.

I really don't know what do Should I wait a little longer and see if they chill out, or should I add ASAP a net and divide the discus?
Would be a good idea to separate the couple?

Thanks for your help!

OC Discus
11-07-2013, 11:42 PM
Maybe you could divide the tank and give the pair a small corner/about 1/3 to 1/4 of the tank. Most breeding tanks are smaller.
What size is the new fish? Any pictures? I don't see the ocean green in the pictures. Do you have a pic of him?

I definitely think sectioning off about 1/3 of the tank for the pair is a good option. Is that some kind of spawning net in there now? That corner is probably a good place for them.

tat
11-08-2013, 11:31 AM
Maybe you could divide the tank and give the pair a small corner/about 1/3 to 1/4 of the tank. Most breeding tanks are smaller.
What size is the new fish? Any pictures? I don't see the ocean green in the pictures. Do you have a pic of him?

I definitely think sectioning off about 1/3 of the tank for the pair is a good option. Is that some kind of spawning net in there now? That corner is probably a good place for them.

The new fish is 13cms. The Ocean Green is so dark, that does not even look likes a Ocean Green.
But it is the fish on the 3rd pic of my first post.

I like your idea, I will wait just a few days, and if things does not calm down, I will separate the couple to the section on the left, as you can see on the second pic of my first post.